Pre season protest

• Replies 740
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Isn't anyone thinking about the fact we haven't had any sort of preseason?!? Intense fitness regime etc? We're set up to fail this season, not matter who we sign (IMHO) and will probably go down. Yes it's really good and exciting we're signing players etc but all far too late through my eyes, for us to do anything than fight against the drop.

I really admire those wanting to stay positive, really I do. I just can't see what any of that positivity is based on.....we have unfit players who haven't played together at all and have had no preseason training playing against x45 other teams that have had all this!!!

Isn't anyone thinking about the fact we haven't had any sort of preseason?!? Intense fitness regime etc? We're set up to fail this season, not matter who we sign (IMHO) and will probably go down. Yes it's really good and exciting we're signing players etc but all far too late through my eyes, for us to do anything than fight against the drop.

I really admire those wanting to stay positive, really I do. I just can't see what any of that positivity is based on.....we have unfit players who haven't played together at all and have had no preseason training playing against x45 other teams that have had all this!!!

Nah.

Bloody hell, when did they expand the division?

We are probably 1 or 2 weeks behind in terms of training. But, how many are signed in August, most teams are not finalised for several weeks yet. But a little behind.

One mitigating factor is quite a few players know each other already from Motherwell or NI.So they are not complete strangers, there may be a bond already.

We have an issue with players not having played with each other.

But, if you look at a game, 99% of balls passed are simple clear and the player can see the other player.

So I don't think it is quite the catastrophe some are predicting

We are probably 1 or 2 weeks behind in terms of training. But, how many are signed in August, most teams are not finalised for several weeks yet. But a little behind.

One mitigating factor is quite a few players know each other already from Motherwell or NI.So they are not complete strangers, there may be a bond already.

But, if you look at a game, 99% of balls passed are simple clear and the player can see the other player.

This for me. Pre season typically starts in July - so a couple of weeks behind maybe. We have a number of pre-season friendlies to gel and get up to match fitness. A tough start will focus the team on the levels needed to do well in this league.

Robinson will make the difference I believe.

Edited by TheBigDog

That catastrophe beckoning is a permanent outlook for some.

I can foresee the posts after tomorrow's game already . Writing individuals off on the basis of a warm up match, predicting certain relegation, criticising the style of play etc. I think we will find the first month of the season proper being challenging but have confidence in Robinson et al in getting a decent season going after that.

We are where we are , left in a hole by Sheridan's decision to leave but climbing out of it with a core squad and more players to come.

As Shez did last season. Hopefully he will be just as good-he is going to have to be

But the same applies to any manager irrespective of finances. See Newcastle as an example. Spent millions trying not to stay up but were still relegated. Or Sheffield United for an example in our league. Chucking money at the team is no guarantee of success. Infrastructure is key to long term improvement.

I'll reserve judgement on the squad as a whole until it's completed but the more prominent signings so far in paper seem to be at least a match for the ones that have gone. And the squad players signed seem to have plenty of league experience.

The more important thing for me is the management structure in place. Plenty of experience and success at various levels. That shows a bit of intent and is a reason to be positive.

We were a few days behind everyone else.

Are you imagining these lads had been glued to their couches since May eating kebabs right up until they signed their deal with us?

We were a few days behind everyone else.

Are you imagining these lads had been glued to their couches since May eating kebabs right up until they signed their deal with us?

To be fair, that is Crofty's regime from September - May every season.

But the same applies to any manager irrespective of finances. See Newcastle as an example. Spent millions trying not to stay up but were still relegated. Or Sheffield United for an example in our league. Chucking money at the team is no guarantee of success. Infrastructure is key to long term improvement.

I'll reserve judgement on the squad as a whole until it's completed but the more prominent signings so far in paper seem to be at least a match for the ones that have gone. And the squad players signed seem to have plenty of league experience.

The more important thing for me is the management structure in place. Plenty of experience and success at various levels. That shows a bit of intent and is a reason to be positive.

Some fair points but you quote the example that I always think of-Sheff Utd, who in no way should be struggling year after year in the third division.

But they have actually had some good managers in recent years and still it hasnt worked out for them.

I just think that the Board are leaving the manager with very little room for error and at best we will avoid relegation.

We have been in this division for much too long and now find ourselves truly one of the lesser lights in it, probably below Fleetwood, Bury and Rochdale.

Hopefully I will be pleasantly surprised before we then go and 'sell' our next manager. Allow me to be a little sceptical.

Players these days keep themselves fit during the off season. I imagine SR has also played a couple of behind closed door friendlies to assess the squad. Gelling shouldn't be a problem as players should know and be comforable in their own positions no matter who plays with them.

Players these days keep themselves fit during the off season. I imagine SR has also played a couple of behind closed door friendlies to assess the squad. Gelling shouldn't be a problem as players should know and be comforable in their own positions no matter who plays with them.

There was one at Blackburn earlier on this week I think.

Picking up on nz's point, we have to look at history, even very recently. Lincoln Red Imps, Curtis Main, Matt Palmer, Leicester, Iceland, England, Oldham Athletic on 1st Jan 2016, Brexit, Osborne, Remain Sheff Utd and Adkins. Recent history alone is littered with people making premature judgements about what us going to happen, radio judgements on players.
None of us know what is going to happen, yet some are absolutely convinced they do.
By this time next week, the squad will be prob twice the size almost and I am sure look very different.
Everyone gets a run out for 45 mins in the first couple of games, so means nothing.

We should not be expecting promotion, play offs nor relegation. It might, but there should be no certainty.

The odds are clearly against us, but how often can the odds be defied.

Edited by singe

I haven't really followed this particular topic, so I am assuming what could have started off with genuine concern and direction, may have lost quite a bit of its impetus. As STB indicates, they really should hold sway and get the measure of things as they now stand. I have the feeling that they will get either totally ignored or just booed until they put the flag away.

Without being negative I think the point people are making is; being happy we are signing players does not mask the fact that 2 months of pre season was completely wasted and we have had a complete fire sale of all saleable assets, put this alongside the best thing to happen to us in a long time (Sheridan) leaving due to, allegedly, the board.

Let's not get caught up with all the excitement of signing players because these are replacements not bolstering a side. I really hope we do well, I love Oldham but to contradict all the teams someone has mentioned previously ie Leicester Iceland etc they weren't cobbled together 3 weeks before the season. The team that springs to mind who is a more relevant comparison....Blackpool