Takeover / New Investment - What Rumours Have You Heard?

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Corney declined to comment, my arse. His name is written all over it, just like the story ahead of the last game of the season. 

Note that it makes a point of saying that AL was in control from the start of the season, hence absolving Corney of any blame for the issues raised and that it doesn't make any mention of the numerous occasions where wages were paid late and other clubs were owed previously under Corney. 

What really doesn't add up is the suggestion that AL is signing off ludicrous pay for shit players, whilst not being able to cover basic costs this early on in his tenure. If true, that would make him very, very stupid or absolutely fucking mental. 

I'm not convinced. 

Whilst it is absolutely ridiculous that we were paying 11k a week for a player, I find it encouraging that abdullah obviously has cash to throw at us. There’s absolutely nothing in the article that worries me, the staff not getting paid could easily be old news from previous months or just teething issues with going into the summer months as footballers salaries change during these months. Oldham Athletic fans are the Kings of over reactions, let’s just see what happens ey. No doom and gloom yet.

Wages haven’t been paid on time for six months. We haven’t paid ticket money that was due to other clubs months ago. Players won’t touch us with a bargepole because their agents fear we won’t pay them. There’s no money in the kitty for basics such as phone bills. A six figure tax bill remains unpaid. Former players, who undoubtedly know more than is featured in this article, quoted as saying they genuinely fear for the future of the club.

Everything is fine though, typical negative Oldham fans overreacting... Get. A. Grip. If you want to see a negative entitled fan base take your pick from one of the big Yorkshire clubs in the Championship.

The only positive I can take from this is that he may have some money to throw at it. A 2.4 million wage bill is only ‘frightening’ if AL can’t sustain it. That seems to be the case based on this article as we are still paying bills late. The last six months in a row can’t be blamed on teething problems from the Corney era whatever way you look at it. Why is there no money in the club’s bank account when season ticket money has just been realised?

The only thing that I struggle to believe is that a professional footballer didn’t have a fiver to put in his car, unless it’s one of the youth team lads.

12 hours ago, deyres42 said:

Can't recall too many complaints at the return of Bryan, Byrne and Doyle.

There weren't any complaints.

But I doubt we were paying any of them anywhere near £11k a week.  Yet we were supposedly paying Menig that much.  That doesn't sound like a good thing to me it sounds like gross mismanagement...

18 minutes ago, JoeP said:

There weren't any complaints.

But I doubt we were paying any of them anywhere near £11k a week.  Yet we were supposedly paying Menig that much.  That doesn't sound like a good thing to me it sounds like gross mismanagement...

If he'd be brilliant nobody would have batted an eyelid. Well most wouldn't anyway.

As some have said already, two things I take away from this:

1. A  hope that Abdallah has learnt a valuable lesson regarding the suitability of bringing in too many players who are unfamiliar with the lower leagues in England.

2. A belief that he may indeed be prepared (and able) to pay for the right players

But as has also been said, a full statement from Mr Lemsagam addressing these ‘stories’ would be helpful. This is a tough place to be right now and his learning curve is a steep one. Let’s hope that he understands the importance of proper communication.

And let’s also hope that he uses his (and our) money wisely ?

9 hours ago, Ryan said:

Can't believe people are blindly doubting the authenticity of this, really weird mentality. If it transpires that Keegan is lying then he and Sportsmail will rightly be facing some rather hefty legal fees. I have no reason to believe that an Oldham fan would tell porkies about the club he loves for a minuscule number of clicks at this stage. Club statement needed.

Keegan may believe it's true but like you and I he's only writing things other people have told him.

Hope Wellens does well out of this. Hard work writing so much.

7 hours ago, Ryan said:

Wages haven’t been paid on time for six months. We haven’t paid ticket money that was due to other clubs months ago. Players won’t touch us with a bargepole because their agents fear we won’t pay them. There’s no money in the kitty for basics such as phone bills. A six figure tax bill remains unpaid. Former players, who undoubtedly know more than is featured in this article, quoted as saying they genuinely fear for the future of the club.

Everything is fine though, typical negative Oldham fans overreacting... Get. A. Grip. If you want to see a negative entitled fan base take your pick from one of the big Yorkshire clubs in the Championship.

The only positive I can take from this is that he may have some money to throw at it. A 2.4 million wage bill is only ‘frightening’ if AL can’t sustain it. That seems to be the case based on this article as we are still paying bills late. The last six months in a row can’t be blamed on teething problems from the Corney era whatever way you look at it. Why is there no money in the club’s bank account when season ticket money has just been realised?

The only thing that I struggle to believe is that a professional footballer didn’t have a fiver to put in his car, unless it’s one of the youth team lads.

I don't agree with all that you have put. But agree with the assertion that £2.4m is only a problem if you have not got the funds.

To put it into perspective, and show that w were really on a shoestring before:

AFC Wimbledon wages were £2.8m in 16/17 , Walsall's were £3.4m, Southend £4.7m MK Dons £5.4m and Charlton's £11.1m.

Average player wages AFC Wimbledon £1,451, Walsall £1,736, Southend £2,410, MK Dons £2,785, £5,706.

Bolton was £13.8m wages, Average wage £7,069.

Quotes..........................."All great changes are preceded by chaos"

"Order is for idiots, but a genius can handle chaos"

"She is delightfully chaotic, a beautiful mess but loving her is a splendid adventure"

"Everything will be Ok in the end, if its not, then its not the end"

"Life is like photography, it takes time for the negatives to develop and to be seen clearly"

Back to my summer

18 minutes ago, maximus1267 said:

Quotes..........................."All great changes are preceded by chaos"

"Order is for idiots, but a genius can handle chaos"

"She is delightfully chaotic, a beautiful mess but loving her is a splendid adventure"

"Everything will be Ok in the end, if its not, then its not the end"

"Life is like photography, it takes time for the negatives to develop and to be seen clearly"

Back to my summer

Thanks Max, have a nice time <_<

15 hours ago, Ryan said:

If he’s seriously prepared to sustain a wage bill of £2.4 million we would comfortably be the richest club in League Two and sensible recruitment would see us break records...

I'm afraid not even close Ryan. 

In 2016/7, Carlisle had a wage bill of £3.5m, Crewe £3.0m, £Grimsby had £ 2.3m even Morecambe had £1.9m. 

Luton had £5.1m, Portsmouth went up with £5.9m. 

Many players won't come near us because our wages are so comparatively low (that we can afford) 

8 hours ago, Ryan said:

Bang on. Some people just won’t have it and refuse to believe there are any problems. Defies belief. 

12 minutes ago, singe said:

I'm afraid not even close Ryan. 

In 2016/7, Carlisle had a wage bill of £3.5m, Crewe £3.0m, £Grimsby had £ 2.3m even Morecambe had £1.9m. 

Luton had £5.1m, Portsmouth went up with £5.9m. 

Many players won't come near us because our wages are so comparatively low (that we can afford) 

but the article is all LIES! Corney saved us? 

Archived