7 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

What team does he pick Saturday when probably 8 don't deserve  to start?

Don’t think it matters what team tbh. Their not ALL playing for him. And he puts them all in the wrong positions anyway. I’m predicting another comfortable defeat against a team playing for nothing whilst looking far hungrier than us. I don’t understand why he’s not picking Holloway or Nepo for that matter ? Why has Benteke not even had a chance until we’re 3 down ? I could understand it if we had a good settled team that was winning games. But we are absolutely shocking In most ,if not all departments. 

Edited by simplythemostimportantkick

59 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Yeah, you make some good points there. I still don’t think we should be struggling this badly, and wellens should and will take his share of blame. 

BUT the general direction of the club, has been so poor, for so long, that the brutal truth is this has been coming for a long time. It wasn’t for shez it would of been last year. Oh, and the year before that. 

You can only hope, if we do go down. It’s a time to reassess, and with a new owner start running the club properly again. 

I agree that this has been a long-term decline/misdirection that Sheridan managed to paper over with late wins to avoid relegation. From the lack of funds to the revolving door of managers; from the inability to find a 20+ goals per season striker,  to the state of the pitch; from the three-sided stadium, to daliance with Ched Evans, Oldham Athletic has long suffered from the lack of a defining vision and strategy. We seem to lurch from one bad decision to the next. There are many people associated with the club that work long hours for average wages, but we just cannot seem to get out of our own way and make any progress. 

Still, I for one, am still behind the club and hoping for one more last-ditch effort to avoid relegation.

2 minutes ago, ooroger said:

I agree that this has been a long-term decline/misdirection that Sheridan managed to paper over with late wins to avoid relegation. From the lack of funds to the revolving door of managers; from the inability to find a 20+ goals per season striker,  to the state of the pitch; from the three-sided stadium, to daliance with Ched Evans, Oldham Athletic has long suffered from the lack of a defining vision and strategy. We seem to lurch from one bad decision to the next. There are many people associated with the club that work long hours for average wages, but we just cannot seem to get out of our own way and make any progress. 

Still, I for one, am still behind the club and hoping for one more last-ditch effort to avoid relegation.

I hope I win the lottery at the weekend but deep down I know I won’t !! Of course my support is still there but we are done for unfortunately. First time in my lifetime we will be in bottom division and it’s gut wrenching for me it really is. 

Just now, rteoafc said:

Thoroughly awful all round tonight.

Even the towels were embarrassing. Did no-one in the dressing room really see that happening when they put them out on only half the pitch?!?

Wow out of everything that’s fucked up you go straight in for the towels ? Not cotton rich either I’m hearing. Fuck me mate, your a gas ?

2 minutes ago, simplythemostimportantkick said:

I hope I win the lottery at the weekend but deep down I know I won’t !! Of course my support is still there but we are done for unfortunately. First time in my lifetime we will be in bottom division and it’s gut wrenching for me it really is. 

Will be the second time for me.Can only hope and pray that we win our last two games but after tonight's lethargic inept gutless display I fear the worse.

The first 30 minutes were the worst I have witnessed .They ran rings round us and considering the importance of this game it was inexcusable.

9 minutes ago, NewBlue said:

You'd struggle to put out a passionate case for any at present. Doyle and Byrne are first names on the team sheet for me, defence and centre mid picks itself because we have no others. Holloway in for Davies, who was awful tonight, then take your pick from the rest

Unfortunately however it's a character issue, and I'm not sure selection decisions can fix that at this point

a character issue! as if they aren't bothered,, no not a chance. this is down to wellens and them understanding how to play and he's responsible for motivating and coaching them to do the jobs he wants from them. if they don't he has a number of options at his disposal as we have a large squad that could play a number of formations. he doesn't he keeps picking the same team so it can't be lack of character or they'd be dropped. we all know bryne doest work hard, we've all seen it all year thats how he plays he should have worked out how to get him in the team and win by now. davies constantly selected over AHH who looks more of a threat and nazon played as a wide left striker, again not his position. they look disjointed, they look like they will concede goal nearly every opposition attack, how can you win games like that with lob sided formations. that isn't down to character, wellens is fully responsible, more than enough in this squad to be at least mid table and he's had long enough to sort out what his best team is. 

Although Wellens didn’t really have much choice due to injuries, suspensions, and loaned out players, that back 4 tonight was not equipped both mentally and physically for a game of such magnitude We are not ‘a team’. and play as individuals and have done for months on end.

We should never have loaned out Clarke before a replacement had been found as the CB positions were suspect even before the injuries and suspensions kicked in.

I wanted Wellens to succeed but his lack of experience in managing a football team has been brutally exposed.

Doyle should have had a field day tonight but somehow his prowess in front of goal has completely disappeared and with it probably the best chance we had, however, he was still the stand out performer alongside a couple of the laziest strikers in the division.

Fane and especially Gardner worked hard and deserved better but support for both the strikers and the back 4 was non existent.Teams consistently come to BP and attack and defend as a unit, we simply do not.

I really don’t think Wellens has a hope in hell of getting this lot to win the 2 remaining games which is what we’ll probably need in order to stay in this division. I don’t know if we can get someone in at this eleventh hour to organise and motivate this lot but if we can find him then we should at least try, if not we will almost certainly be in league 2 by the time the whistle blows at Northampton and possibly sooner!

8 minutes ago, Careca9 said:

a character issue! as if they aren't bothered,, no not a chance. this is down to wellens and them understanding how to play and he's responsible for motivating and coaching them to do the jobs he wants from them. if they don't he has a number of options at his disposal as we have a large squad that could play a number of formations. he doesn't he keeps picking the same team so it can't be lack of character or they'd be dropped. we all know bryne doest work hard, we've all seen it all year thats how he plays he should have worked out how to get him in the team and win by now. davies constantly selected over AHH who looks more of a threat and nazon played as a wide left striker, again not his position. they look disjointed, they look like they will concede goal nearly every opposition attack, how can you win games like that with lob sided formations. that isn't down to character, wellens is fully responsible, more than enough in this squad to be at least mid table and he's had long enough to sort out what his best team is. 

You're not wrong and I agree with many points about selection errors, but a side who misses as many chances as we did tonight and plays the way we did in a clutch local derby definitely isn’t all right. That’s not to say they aren’t bothered. In past seasons Shez has extracted a lot from a little, and must’ve created a resolute mentality within the squad. Wellens has been unable to do that and it’s demonstrated by all the nearly results we’ve had in the latest run of draws - under Shez we’d have won half of them and been safe by virtue of that mentality he breeds.

Edited by NewBlue

Got to try 2 proper wide men on Saturday with Byrne and Gardner in central midfield. I know the only ones are Tope and Nepo, but we have to go for it.

The team has conceded 73 goals this season with Fane in the side so leave him out and and make attack the best form of defence.

After Wilson's poor showing at centre back I'd give Stott a go.

A young back 4, but not much option.

Holloway has to start with Doyle up front that's for sure.

Nazon on the bench.

I'm not optimistic whichever team we turn out as so many aren't doing the business, but 4-4-2 with genuine wingers is the only way for me.

Edited by BP1960
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, simplythemostimportantkick said:

Wow out of everything that’s fucked up you go straight in for the towels ? Not cotton rich either I’m hearing. Fuck me mate, your a gas ?

I was originally thinking it was just one example (very, very low down the list) of the muddled thinking and lack of direction that we’ve been suffering from over the last couple of months. Others might have included constantly lumping the ball up to bounce off Craig Davies, Jack Byrne incessantly charging towards the ball like the most talented nine year old in the school and insisting it’s passed to him regardless of where he and his teammates are on the pitch, the team generally playing with no width whatsoever, or our inability to shoot without taking ten touches inside an opponent’s penalty area, but they’ve been covered elsewhere and the towels just amused me tonight.

But now you mention it, yeah, 100% cotton might have done it.

5 minutes ago, League one forever said:

My god. 

Didnt realise it was four wins in 23! 

That is abysmal. 

And 1 in the last 10.

We currently have 11 wins, which is the fewest we've had since winning just 10 in 96-97, when we last got rel............

Edited by lalalajpkalala

I was at Wimbledon and again tonight.  Poor first half at Wimbledon but great 2nd half response. Tonight we've had 16 shots and opportunities to shoot not taken.

We just have not had luck on our side recently. Penalty not given for us at Oxford and the unbelievable Gillingham decision in injury time. 4 points gone in two bad decisions.

When Wellens took over he said he wanted to be a lucky manager.  

Please, for just 2 games, can we have our good luck back?