If we go down, would you keep Wellens?  

190 members have voted

1. 1. If we go down, would you keep Wellens?

• Yes
    • No

7 hours ago, HarryBosch said:

"Experienced Assistant" lads.... 

Talk us through this constantly re-occurring piece of OWTB gospel.....

Correct me if I'm wrong but we've had numerous "experienced assistants" throughout our years of being shit in League One, not to mention those times we were relegated from the Premier League and the second tier. We've also had loads of inexperienced assistants during whose stints with the club we've produced pretty much exactly the same result of being shit in League One. 

What am I missing here? 

Agree with Harry. 

My view hasn't changed. We should easily have had enough quality to stay up, and Wellens not being able to motivate the players, particularly over the last 8 games to get a single win shows he unfortunately isn't the man I'm afraid. 

Another experienced assistant would make no difference imo. Wellens is stubborn and gets me as the type that its his way or the highway so do you think he would listen? 

Why risk keeping him? 

I'd rather get someone in with a L1/2 track record who is a better tactician and motivator. 

16 minutes ago, Londonboy said:

Agree with Harry. 

My view hasn't changed. We should easily have had enough quality to stay up, and Wellens not being able to motivate the players, particularly over the last 8 games to get a single win shows he unfortunately isn't the man I'm afraid. 

Another experienced assistant would make no difference imo. Wellens is stubborn and gets me as the type that its his way or the highway so do you think he would listen? 

Why risk keeping him? 

I'd rather get someone in with a L1/2 track record who is a better tactician and motivator. 

I imagine it's not easy to get someone in of that ilk, without it costing a small fortune. The problem is that we don't need a repeat scenario of last season where a horrendous start sets panic in and a desperate hunt for a new manager ensues. It's a headache but for what's it's worth, I think Wellens will be given his chance to put it right.

3 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

I like Matt but asking difficult questions wasn't his thing.

Yeh I hear that...seemed to know more than any reporter now though. Both the chron and the other new oldham paper just seem to print stories that they put together from reading this board ha ha 

3 hours ago, Wardie said:

I imagine it's not easy to get someone in of that ilk, without it costing a small fortune. The problem is that we don't need a repeat scenario of last season where a horrendous start sets panic in and a desperate hunt for a new manager ensues. It's a headache but for what's it's worth, I think Wellens will be given his chance to put it right.

If he is which by reports looks likely, he will get my full support as we need to get back up at the first go. 

Prove me wrong Richie!! 

With the decision seemingly now made it looks like Wellens will stay. Time now to stop the criticism unless anything changes. He has his opportunity, perhaps it's really his second opportunity, to mould the team as he sees fit, he has the time and a budget I suspect that should make us competitive in league 2. He is a football man with history at the club, it's also his chance to make a name, failure will make it difficult to pursue a career in management in the top four divisions (Kelly, Dunn etc) so he will certainly be motivated. None of us are sure what went wrong this season but there are signs that Wellens can put together a side that can play winning and entertaining football, it will be interesting to see who he brings in. My hope is that he gets Byrne and Gardner playing more effectively together again, that looked incredibly promising for a while early on. A solid centre back and a Bryan type player in the holding role and more menace and hunger up front and who knows. 

Edited by Stainrod
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, mikejh45 said:

Who's fault was it that he wasn't fully fit........he's supposed to be a professional. He had 16 matches to get his sh*t together and didn't contribute anything during this spell. He's a player that relied on pace in his formative years and at 31, that went a long time ago. Signing him would be a backward step......no thank you.

He wasn't being allowed to train. He was getting a text at night informing him of the hour he had at the gym the next day. If you have played any level of sport you would understand you cannot be match fit without playing.

40 minutes ago, Clifford said:

He wasn't being allowed to train. He was getting a text at night informing him of the hour he had at the gym the next day. If you have played any level of sport you would understand you cannot be match fit without playing.

Well there's a condescending comment.

I was referring to his time back with us.......he had 16 games to impress and in that period, in the matches I saw him in, he didn't tackle, shoot or pass a man........no improvement after 16 games in fitness, attitude or ability.

So to follow up your argument, you need to want to get match fit and in Taylor's case, there was no desire.

On 25/04/2018 at 12:24 PM, HarryBosch said:

I voted yes. 

In our good patches this season he's shown more than many managers we've had and the football was good.

I like him.

I think the continuity keeping him would offer isn't to be sniffed at - he knows the pro's and con's of whichever players are still here in August.

I'd like to think he could sign some decent players while his contacts are still what they are not long after him finishing playing. (This might be more the case in League One than League Two though)

I've got a gut feeling he'll come good as a manager and I'd like it to be with us rather than someone else. 

I was about to reply as to why I voted yes.  This says it all though.  Good post. 

It's a no from me.... Only because  his record for the last 5 months has been rubbish and awful to watch.....but I hope I'm wrong and we actually start next season positively and on the front foot...one thing you can say about RW he does have an affection for us but if we have a rubbish start in L2 the knives will be out 

1 hour ago, frizzell54 said:

OK, I've had a drink, but relegation happened on his watch.  He should do the decent thing and p*ss off!

^ Agreed if i was drunk i might of put it a tad stronger ^    i cannot get my nut around the manner we were relegated with no motivation & lack of fight but with plenty of excuses.

I said no before and my answer would be the same now. One win in more than the last quarter of the season is not acceptable. Nor is most of his team not looking arsed in games we needed to win. Nor is being second best against a side already relegated on the last day when survival was in our own hands. 

I'm totally unconvinced by Wellens but if he's staying, and it sounds very much as if he is, I'll be more than happy if he proves me wrong. 

8 minutes ago, Stevie_J said:

I said no before and my answer would be the same now. One win in more than the last quarter of the season is not acceptable. Nor is most of his team not looking arsed in games we needed to win. Nor is being second best against a side already relegated on the last day when survival was in our own hands. 

I'm totally unconvinced by Wellens but if he's staying, and it sounds very much as if he is, I'll be more than happy if he proves me wrong. 

From being his biggest advocate at the start - this is pretty much where I’m at 

1 hour ago, Stevie_J said:

Yeah, that’s where i am Steve. 

We’ll finally get to see if the ‘stability in the face of poor results brigrade’ are proved right. 

I genuinley hope they are, as it will mean we’re doing well. 

However my gut says he’ll be gone by Christmas. 

1 hour ago, Stevie_J said:

Kind of where I’m at. I voted no in the poll and thought he should have been fired after the Northampton game but it looks like AL will give him another crack at it.

I said a few weeks back in another thread that I was yet to be convinced by Wellens.  I think if we are out of all the cups and in the lower reaches of the league at Christmas he’ll be gone.  Obviously I hope that’s not the case and hope he does well.

1 hour ago, leeslover said:

I wouldn't have kept him. I'm sure though he'll not be here in February if he puts out half-arsed teams and complains about it all the time. Over to him.

Close season is when you reevaluate & this is when you boot a manager out. The 2nd half of the season was dog awful.

For me he should be down the road, but if he stays, give him.a faur crack at it.

Abdallah remains very tight lipped about the manager situation, no mention of it in his statement.

one would have thought that a vote of confidence may have been forthcoming, " Richie is a good coach, i like him, blah blah " 

Personally, i can't get away from what Lee Sinnott said, "Wellens won't walk and Abdallah won't pay him off".

Time will tell i suppose but if that was the case it is hardly an ideal foundation to build on.

Ps, i would have sent him packing, he had more chances to get out of jail than in a lifetime of playing Monopoly.