If we go down, would you keep Wellens?  

190 members have voted

1. 1. If we go down, would you keep Wellens?

• Yes
    • No

I’m interested as to what this says about Lemsagem.

On one hand is it thay he’s trying to appear unlike the perception of foreign owners chopping and changing or is this genuinely his strategy to stick by managers?

I think it’s pretty unanimous with fans that Wellens hasn’t done enough to deserve another crack at it, so for an owner to persevere in the face of that is quite unusual

20 minutes ago, latics22 said:

Any capable of motivating a team, picking players in their right position....do that you may win games...

They seemed pretty 'motivated' in the first few months.

Then January happened.

Any manager deserves the chance to work without distractions and interference, a manager taking his first steps even more so.

Although Wellens should take part of the blame for relegation and I genuinely believe he does I still think it was Abdallahs transfer business that ultimately got us relegated, lessons learnt all round from rookie chairman and rookie manager who both now have an opportunity to put right their wrongs, ultimately the team assembled didn't have the character to stay up and both again could be blamed for that.

Recruitment is going to be key for me with players needed who can pull a team together instead of forming divisive cliques that can ruin team spirit, egos need to be parked up and players need to get on with what they are fortunate to be paid to do, I'm hopeful that with one or two problems ironed out we may be able to bounce back next season but for that to happen we all have to be pulling in the right direction. 

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, latics22 said:

Any capable of motivating a team, picking players in their right position....do that you may win games...

Maybe if he has a full preseason and if allowed to bring in the kind of players he wants he won't need to play people out of position. I was all for him walking but let's see what he can do

1 hour ago, NewBlue said:

I think it’s pretty unanimous with fans that Wellens hasn’t done enough to deserve another crack at it, so for an owner to persevere in the face of that is quite unusual

Not sure we can say its unanimous from a small percentage of OWTB voters but I take your point.

2 hours ago, latics22 said:

Is it worth the wait and a poor start, we need a good start with the right manager 

If we dont get a good start he is toast.

A good start means being in and around the play offs in early october. A good pre season and backing in the transfer market their is no reason why that shouldnt happen.

We need a manger who can make a good star,t get some points on the board and unite the fans behind him due to attractive/exciting football and plenty of goals.

Can anyone name a manager who may have started his managerial career similar to that description less than 12 months ago?

Sometimes it doesn't work out how you hope partly due to a massive learning curve and unforeseen/behind the scene circumstamces...

If he doesn't have to put up with the same shit off the field imo RW will come good and hate id for him to succeed elsewhere because we didn't take how shit Oldham Athletic is run into account. 

Edited by palmer1

2 hours ago, NewBlue said:

I’m interested as to what this says about Lemsagem.

On one hand is it thay he’s trying to appear unlike the perception of foreign owners chopping and changing or is this genuinely his strategy to stick by managers?

That isn’t what unanimous means.

45 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

If we dont get a good start he is toast.

A good start means being in and around the play offs in early october. A good pre season and backing in the transfer market their is no reason why that shouldnt happen.

This is a good point and to a degree if AL doesn't do the right thing then it could get quite uncomfortable for him quite early in his tenure, to a degree there was an acceptance that we were shit in League 1 but if the same problems continue in the bottom tier I can see it turning toxic.

His man management and motivational skills are my biggest worry......In his Northampton post match interview he alluded to certain players not caring enough...I would suggest Byrne, Holloway, and Davies may be amongst that group.

If he can’t get them playing for him in 3/4 of a season and especially in a game of such importance where our divisional status was at stake I fail to see how next season will be any different!

2 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

His man management and motivational skills are my biggest worry......In his Northampton post match interview he alluded to certain players not caring enough...I would suggest Byrne, Holloway, and Davies may be amongst that group.

If he can’t get them playing for him in 3/4 of a season and especially in a game of such importance where our divisional status was at stake I fail to see how next season will be any different!

The players knew the situation, it shouldn't have needed anybody to tell them.

54 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

His man management and motivational skills are my biggest worry.....I would suggest Byrne, Holloway, and Davies may be amongst that group.

I wouldn't include Byrne in that group...he has shown a willingness to want the ball and been frustrated if taken off or not started. Yes, he's not a tackler but you can't throw that at him and then say he's not interested.

Holloway, on the other hand, is in no danger of getting a sweaty shirt. There isn't a forward's instinct in this lad.......if we could part-ex him for a burger van then we are onto a good deal.

Without reviewing recent posts, someone stated that another club wanted Davies in January and pay £3.5k a week and we turned it down. Since then, and this is only my opinion, he's not shown the slightest inclination to perform. Contrast that with Clarke last season......a massive difference in attitude and professionalism.

21 minutes ago, mikejh45 said:

I wouldn't include Byrne in that group...he has shown a willingness to want the ball and been frustrated if taken off or not started. Yes, he's not a tackler but you can't throw that at him and then say he's not interested.

Holloway, on the other hand, is in no danger of getting a sweaty shirt. There isn't a forward's instinct in this lad.......if we could part-ex him for a burger van then we are onto a good deal.

Without reviewing recent posts, someone stated that another club wanted Davies in January and pay £3.5k a week and we turned it down. Since then, and this is only my opinion, he's not shown the slightest inclination to perform. Contrast that with Clarke last season......a massive difference in attitude and professionalism.

There's been a lot of talk that Davies has had the hump since not being allowed to leave in January.

16 minutes ago, Stevie_J said:

There's been a lot of talk that Davies has had the hump since not being allowed to leave in January.

I wouldn't be the least bit surprised at this, given his contribution since January we should have let him leave.

Unfortunately we could only know this in hindsight.

6 hours ago, deyres42 said:

The players knew the situation, it shouldn't have needed anybody to tell them.

Unfortunately many of them don't care. A season here, a season there. Club goes down the pan they probably get a gig elsewhere. Bosman has a lot to answer for.

Not sure it's a coincidence that the two lads who scored at Northampton are players who have grown up here and have some affinity for the club.

I can't for the life of me understand why Wellens is still in the building???? Had I failed to do my job with what he had at his disposal then the very least I would have done is held my hand up and walked knowing full well that I'd had the chance to improve it but failed miserably

Now we have a situation where all the shortcomings of his mismanagement will follow us into League Two and that shouldn't be allowed to happen at any level.

4 minutes ago, OLDHAMADE said:

I can't for the life of me understand why Wellens is still in the building???? Had I failed to do my job with what he had at his disposal then the very least I would have done is held my hand up and walked knowing full well that I'd had the chance to improve it but failed miserably

Now we have a situation where all the shortcomings of his mismanagement will follow us into League Two and that shouldn't be allowed to happen at any level.

He you'd have just walked straight to the job centre when you've a family to feed...