January Window Gossip/Rumours

1 hour ago, archiecat said:

A team full of third rate foreign imports is not an Oldham Athletic team.

That said,it is a team that will find it's level at 15th in League 2 which should make the majority of this board happy. 

If you'd said a third of a team of laoness 9 of whereeve I'd agree with you.

But  just because a 20 miles bit of water separates where they were born, doesn't mean they care for playng for Oldham any more or less.

3 minutes ago, archiecat said:

Cokes or Omranis and Bentekes and Placides etc :blink:

You know, Kusunga did have a point about 15th, there are people here who are incapable of calling a poor performance just that.

We all loved Fulham but few called FGR crap,which it undoubtedly was, but because of the cup win we are supposed to allow a lame performance to be seen as a good effort.

15th place mentality that :o

Calling a decent point, in context of the lack of striking options, the standard of the opposition and their budget, and how PW was able to react to the euphoria of the Fulham win does not automatically mean you think 15th is a good finish to the season. Plenty of our experienced ex managers and season pro managers would ahve lost that game in identical circumstances.

1 minute ago, singe said:

Calling a decent point, in context of the lack of striking options, the standard of the opposition and their budget, and how PW was able to react to the euphoria of the Fulham win does not automatically mean you think 15th is a good finish to the season. Plenty of our experienced ex managers and season pro managers would ahve lost that game in identical circumstances.

So now we have a team from Calais that is super proud to wear the shirt and a manager who could outwit Pep,Clough and Shankly :D

27 minutes ago, archiecat said:

Cokes or Omranis and Bentekes and Placides etc :blink:

Neither.

I like it when a home grown youth product succeeds as much as the next person, but if they've got the quality and desire to help the club improve then I couldn't care where they come from.  If they haven't then it doesn't matter if they're English or foreign, they are crap all the same.

You know, Kusunga did have a point about 15th, there are people here who are incapable of calling a poor performance just that.

We all loved Fulham but few called FGR crap,which it undoubtedly was, but because of the cup win we are supposed to allow a lame performance to be seen as a good effort.

15th place mentality that :o

Kusunga really doesn't have a point, he battered his point to death long ago because he can't back it up with any proof and keeps banging on regardless.  He can say what he likes because that's the point of a forum, but that works both ways and he deserves mockery when he falsely mocks others.

By all (honest) accounts the FGR performance was crap and we were lucky to get a point from it.  But I can understand people saying that it could've been worse in the context of lack of numbers (6 on the bench including youth players), players who were clearly unfit having to play (O'Grady), losing key players from said Fulham game (the talk of a hangover from the game is a myth but dealing with losing Surridge and Lyden isn't) and coming up against a team that's been pretty settled all season (4 defeats and the best away record in the league). 

That context doesn't mean people are happy with us being shit forever and believe that mediocrity is where we deserve to be, it means that they understand why the performance was poor and can channel their blame to those who deserves it.  I guarantee that Oldham fans don't accept poor performances, if it happens on Saturday you won't see any accepting people.

Need it effects on foreign players

The article above goes into the effects post need it of foreign players.

Currently the Premier league has a maximum of 17 members of a registered 25 Man registered squad that can be overseas . If the players have been here for 5 years they can count as being home grown (I think) The football league rules as stated are that 7 of the 18 match day squad must be home grown.

Obviously it's very difficult to tell what will happen with Brexit with regards to anything. But a no deal Brexit would probably see more restrictions on foreign imports.

49 minutes ago, archiecat said:

So now we have a team from Calais that is super proud to wear the shirt and a manager who could outwit Pep,Clough and Shankly :D

Very few of our English players, whether they be local or from down south or wherever, have been "proud" to wear the shirt for years...

In fact the same will be said at most clubs in the land. 

Football in general has been like that for ages now....

Have you recently awoken from been cryogenically frozen or something? 

13 minutes ago, lookersstandandy said:

....I will NEVER accept Fleetwood - a fkin poxy non-league shed in Cleveley's - as being a club that is acceptable to sell our players to. I don't care what division they're in.

A bit hypocritical, by the same sentinent some would resent us being in  the Premier League.

Every club deserves a chance of improvement.

Edited by BP1960

10 minutes ago, HarryBosch said:

Very few of our English players, whether they be local or from down south or wherever, have been "proud" to wear the shirt for years...

In fact the same will be said at most clubs in the land. 

Football in general has been like that for ages now....

Have you recently awoken from been cryogenically frozen or something? 

You are asking the wrong person, i suggest you visit Mr Singe, Thanks  for the Walt Disney bit.

26 minutes ago, lookersstandandy said:

....I will NEVER accept Fleetwood - a fkin poxy non-league shed in Cleveley's - as being a club that is acceptable to sell our players to. I don't care what division they're in.

Especially when they make a bloody fortune selling him on next season like they did with Vardy.😡😡😡

18 minutes ago, archiecat said:

You are asking the wrong person, i suggest you visit Mr Singe, Thanks  for the Walt Disney bit.

It was you that set the parameters, including area of birth,  of what constitutes an Oldham Athletic team. Like I said, being born geographically close to Oldham doesn't make any difference whether you care about  Oldham more or not.

So define your Oldham Athletic team.

The lads that come in from abroad evidently need time. Nepo only needed a couple of months to get into the swing of things, but it’s taken Maouche considerably longer. Queensy & Omrani showed flashes and Johnny appeared to be a class above before an unfortunate incident with his family happened.

We’re now only seeing Missilou getting to grips with the English game. Before he was sliding in and was always about 2 yards behind his man but he’s adapted and was arguably the best player on the pitch at Fulham until Surridge came on and demonstrated his different class.

Branger may get there, i don’t know... he has some skills but some times lacks intelligence on the ball.

These two supposed signings have played at a considerably higher level than the French 4/5th tier so maybe they will take a bit less time to bed in. 

Despite what people say about Maouche, whether that be because of his nationality or his wage, you can’t doubt his technical ability which I personally believe is that of a player that shouldn’t be playing in League Two. The majority of our squad is better than League Two if i’m being honest. 

That is why I find it so frustrating when we rocked up to games with Bunn fighting for draws at all costs and we seemed to slip back into that mindset against FGR for 45 mins. I always said that if we had someone other than Bunn we could be a lot higher. I know he was admired by a lot of the players but I don’t think he was ever good enough. 

We’re now in a position where the Play Offs aren’t totally out of reach, but it is going to be extremely tough to get there... Pray god they get a win tomorrow and finally get into gear and get some people through the door, otherwise we will finish 15th.

49 minutes ago, lookersstandandy said:

Unless they go by the name of Holloway (although he'd probably get in our present team).

12 minutes ago, singe said:

It was you that set the parameters, including area of birth,  of what constitutes an Oldham Athletic team. Like I said, being born geographically close to Oldham doesn't make any difference whether you care about  Oldham more or not.

So define your Oldham Athletic team.

I am still awaiting your valuation of these foreign players Jeremy Corbyn !

can you not answer my question?