Morcombe(sic) (H)

• Replies 327
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is no quick fix. 

I’ve been asked by a lot of people if I’m chuffed with Scholes appointment. An there’s this strange sense of Meh. Not because he isn’t a coup, but because I don’t see him being given full autonomy on signings, or indeed half decent backing. I’m still gobsmacked he’s taken it. IMO he’s on hiding to nothing. 

To have good football,  you need good footballers. An we only have a handful. They must all play well all the time, for us to be a threat. The rest are limited cloggers. An we wonder why under different managers the football isn’t great. 

We we have an average squad with average strikers. (Lang apart) It’s not rocket science why we are where we are.

Should of stuck with Bunn, because quite honestly he was for the most part getting the best of this average squad. All while losing his number 2, and being constantly undermind by the owner. 

1 hour ago, underdog said:

we got what we deserved again.

Total absence of a midfield. What's happening with Fane? route one would be nice, like George did first half run at defenders, get a shot off, get lucky with e rebound. grrr..no one runs through to the D.

I like the look of their no 26 and 27 and I don;t know who weaved past two of our defenders on our goal line to set up their win

I know Scholes is a week in but on the balance, Pete Wild seems to be better.

Midfield has been an issue all season , we simply can’t hold on to the ball , and defence keeps getting swamped (as was the case against Crewe on Saturday) .

2 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

Got to say that's probably the worst home performance I've seen in many a year all things considered, it was a fucking horror show from minute one with effectively two holding midfielders and a bag of cement upfront. 

As a pundit Scholes ripped Mourinho to shreds for playing the same negative formation he himself saw fit to play against the mighty Shrimpers tonight who let's face it are shite but had heart and desire of warriors unlike our wet farts who went down without a whimper.

Season probably over now and that is a huge disappointment given we'd seen an upturn on the gate for the last three games. 

Final point - where the fuck are these loanees - farcical situation signing players who can't even play.

Absolutely naild on!!!!

O’Grady is such an easy scapegoat, he’s never a lone striker and until the man picking the team realises this he will continue to contribute zilch. However, put him in a pairing with somebody more nimble and he will perform well.

Our best football came when O’Grady partnered Surridge.

The arrogance of our fans is unbelievable. Whilst I didn’t agree with Bunn’s sacking one bit, we now have to get behind Scholes and I honestly believe that we can’t judge him until he’s had a full pre-season to stamp his authority on the squad and utilise his contacts.

I got some vile abuse last summer for pointing out that our squad was not well equipped to be able to compete at the top end of this division because of Lemsagam’s chronic underfunding 🤷‍♂️ You can change manager 3 times per season for as many years as you like but ultimately they’re going to need investment from the owner in order to make OAFC a promotion challenger. 

Please do not force Paul Scholes out of our club, you space cadets.

55 minutes ago, Monty Burns said:

This thread is embarrassing.

Unlike last night's performance which was as bad as I can remember. 

Felt a bit sorry for Scholes last night he really must wonder what the fuck he's let himself in for watching that. 

Let's hope we can do a Morecambe on Bury and restore some pride.

2 hours ago, Ryan said:

The arrogance of our fans is unbelievable. Whilst I didn’t agree with Bunn’s sacking one bit, we now have to get behind Scholes and I honestly believe that we can’t judge him until he’s had a full pre-season to stamp his authority on the squad and utilise his contacts.

I got some vile abuse last summer for pointing out that our squad was not well equipped to be able to compete at the top end of this division because of Lemsagam’s chronic underfunding 🤷‍♂️ You can change manager 3 times per season for as many years as you like but ultimately they’re going to need investment from the owner in order to make OAFC a promotion challenger. 

Please do not force Paul Scholes out of our club, you space cadets.

Spot on Ryan. Our summer transfer window was a joke and we’re left with only a couple of players who can actually play football. To be where we are in the table is more an indictment of the quality of the rest of this league than it is of ourselves. 

As the saying goes, you can’t polish a turd. 

We need investment in the pitch over summer and in the playing budget. I’m willing to give AL the benefit of the doubt that he needed a year to get the club on an even keel after being run into the ground for years previously hence why the playing budget was slashed but we’ve not got a hope in hell if we don’t start signing some actual footballers. 

To be questioning Scholes at this stage is daft. Hopefully he can spend the rest of the season working out who is and who isn’t good enough (it won’t be hard), and begin to overhaul the squad in summer ready for next year. 

The meltdown in here is ridiculous. Some of you need to give your heads a wobble.

Are we as good a team as we showed against Yeovil? No.

Are we as shit a team as we showed last night? No.

We’re inconsistent and will probably finish 15th-10th. We all knew we weren’t good enough to make the playoffs. Didn’t matter if we took 9 points from the last three, we knew we’d faulter a long the way.

People making comments like we should have kept Wild or Bunn need to get off their periods. It’s been 3 fucking game. Scholes is learning on the job, I’d rather he learn his mistakes from now until May. He’s pretty much got a free pass until then. Most of these players are dogshit, some of the worst we’ve ever had. It wasn’t Scholes that signed then, he’s got to work with what he’s got. The best manager in the world won’t turn O’Grady into a prolific nor effective player. 

Edited by PlayItLivo

Got off to the worst possible start Stott wandering inside and leaving a winher get wide open to cross. Looked well out of his depth tonight 

dire performance. I never want to see Missilou and Sylla in the same team again. Awful Every time they play together. Sylla ends up sitting deeper than missle and then we end up with no options to pass the ball. 

We have been short up top all season with either short term loans or people returning from  Injury as a stop gap.  We've  not really had a right winger either this season so have blunted our attacking options further

Cog isn't a lone striker not physical, enough or mobile enough to do it. But who else do we have without Lang?

Injures and having 3 games in a week have probably been too much for our squad but the worrying thing for me is Macclesfield, morecambe and Crewe have all been weak performances. Bullied and out worked and even when we do have possession we rarely threaten. 

Not sure how we get anything at bury but play like that and we could be in for a real going over. That midfield as a whole tonight was awful. 

Hopefully some of these loans players can come in and improve us short term but any talk of reaching the play offs should stop. We are too easily bullied and have no cutting edge. We scored last night because morecambe switched off. Good finish from Baxter but even then we were hanging on a bit.

2 up top please, even if the 2nd striker is a make shift one 

13 minutes ago, south east latic said:

Spot on Ryan. Our summer transfer window was a joke and we’re left with only a couple of players who can actually play football. To be where we are in the table is more an indictment of the quality of the rest of this league than it is of ourselves. 

As the saying goes, you can’t polish a turd. 

We need investment in the pitch over summer and in the playing budget. I’m willing to give AL the benefit of the doubt that he needed a year to get the club on an even keel after being run into the ground for years previously hence why the playing budget was slashed but we’ve not got a hope in hell if we don’t start signing some actual footballers. 

To be questioning Scholes at this stage is daft. Hopefully he can spend the rest of the season working out who is and who isn’t good enough (it won’t be hard), and begin to overhaul the squad in summer ready for next year. 

Agree Jan recruitment was also rubbish. What's the point of signing the lads from West ham and forrest

58 minutes ago, longtimeblue said:

Scholes would want to fuck off he read some of the shit on here. He's a brave man taking on the job with nothing to prove. 

Just because he's a big name doesn't mean he's exempt from criticsm, he made a big mistake in team selection and formation which many on here questioned before the game, Stott at left back, 2 holding midfielders in each others way, one immobile player up front at home.

No motivation during the game.

He has slated other managers as a pundit so can expect some of the same when things go wrong.

Its true he can only work with what he's got,  but my impression is the players  are unsure what's expected of them resulting in a dysfunctional team.

The first thing he needs to do is drill this lot into a unit where they all know what they are supposed to be doing, better results will then follow.

I want all our managers to succeed and hope pre season the players he brings in are his own and follow his philosophy.

Edited by BP1960

If we manage to get into the playoffs, it’ll be an unexpected (and arguably undeserved) bonus.  

I’d already written this season off when we didn’t strengthen defence and midfield in the January window.  Uncertain if funds were there or the Scholes saga limited our options on acquiring any more incoming players.

Summer is the key; will Scholes have total free reign and the budget to strengthen and play his brand of football?  We’ll soon see late June when our released list is published and the transfer rumours start.

We need to stick with Scholes and judge him with his team, his players and at least a month coaching the players.  We’re currently expecting him to polish a turd.

Edit - I don’t get this “Scholes doesn’t show any emotion on the touchline” as a measure of his ability.  I very much doubt Scholes will be someone who’ll be running up and down the touch line, kicking every ball.  I’d rather have someone keeping their emotion in check and trey his judgement.  He’s seen more world class coaching first-hand than we’d ever experience - he needs the run of his contract and freedom to do his own thing.  Will that happen?

Edited by Midsblue

8 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Just because he's a big name doesn't mean he's exempt from criticsm, he made a big mistake in team selection and formation which many on here questioned before the game, Stott at left back, 2 holding midfielders in each others way, one immobile player up front at home.

He has slated other managers as a pundit so can expect some of the same when things go wrong.

Its true he can only work with what he's got,  but my impression is the players  are unsure what's expected of them resulting in a dysfunctional team.

The first thing he needs to do is drill this lot into a unit where they all know what they are supposed to be doing, better results will then follow.

I want all our managers to succeed and hope pre season the players he brings in are his own and follow his philosophy.

No matter how bloody good a manager you are, three games in a week on that pitch would sap the energy out of Brazil and Morecambe will be back on their Snooker table come Saturday.

16 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Fair comment.

Also fair to say that his starting team was, to a certain degree, impacted by injuries and fatigue.

The balance of the starting eleven was wrong and the performance on the night was poor. 

Hopefully Hamer and Lang will be back for Saturday. Also that Maouche and Missilou start in the middle with Nepomuceno back at left back behind Branger. We’ll see a much better performance I’m certain.

32 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Agreed on all fronts.

People are confusing criticism with wanting him sacked.

I know we don't have the right to beat anyone anymore (an attitude which seems to mean it's OK to lose every game..), but we've just been well beaten at home to Morecambe.  Fecking Morecambe!!! 

Whichever way you want to dress it - that's bad.

Edited by JoeP

31 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

One week.