Morcombe(sic) (H)

• Replies 327
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

18 minutes ago, Careca9 said:

i was referring to the fact he set up to be resolute and nick a goal as its difficult to play flowing football on a cabbage patch. we had a team with much less quality in a higher division and clawed results out two years on the trott at this time of year. this was mroecambe at home, 4th bottom of the league and we lost. as we saw tonight it was hard to pass through the middle yet we constantly tried to play that way. we leave o'grady up top with minimal support. hardly an ideal way to play. you cant sit here and say that the set up was spot on and it was all the players fault for not carrying out the intstructions well enough

Couldn't make the game last night so wouldn't like to pass comment on that but would have to disagree regarding quality, this is easily the worst team in my lifetime. 

5 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Couldn't make the game last night so wouldn't like to pass comment on that but would have to disagree regarding quality, this is easily the worst team in my lifetime. 

Genuine question then: why were you so critical of Bunn?

23 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

Which is as close to definitive proof that neither style of touchline activity is clearly better than the other as is likely to be found. 

Yet Robinson was criticised for standing motionless on the touchline, but not Scholes.

37 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Personally thought we gave up on trying to play football and left it to Iverson, Clarke and Edmonson to hoof it aimlessly back to Morecambe.

Agreed. Can’t believe people actually think we tried to play football. It was painful and actually boring to watch. 

Well Scholsey doesn’t sound too downhearted, feels like he’s already planning for next seasons campaign rather than believing this lot could challenge this season (which he hinted at in his first press conference)

i guess the the big problem for a manager with Scholes background and footballing ability is it must be hard to cope with the fact that the players you are working with are simply not good enough to do what you want them to!

16 minutes ago, Ritchierich said:

Well Scholsey doesn’t sound too downhearted, feels like he’s already planning for next seasons campaign rather than believing this lot could challenge this season (which he hinted at in his first press conference)

i guess the the big problem for a manager with Scholes background and footballing ability is it must be hard to cope with the fact that the players you are working with are simply not good enough to do what you want them to!

Nothing he didn't know and understand before he took the job on then?

Last night just proved how little depth there is in this squad. Losing Hamer and Lang showed that we are so lacking in options. Yes, the pitch is like a ploughed field, so a passing game is virtually impossible. Even Baxter, who is getting better and better, couldn't manage an accurate pass of more than 5 yards. There's some real weak links in that team. I don't usually do this, but FWIW, here's how I rated them (only by watching on iFollow, granted)

Iversen  (8) - made some very good saves, but had no chance with the two goals

Hunt (6) - I don't think he was as bad as some have made out, but seems to have lost the confidence to play a decent ball forward and goes back too often

Edmundson (6) - Not his worst game, but certainly not his best. Tried too many 50 yard cross field passes and only about half of them came off. He did atone very well for one glaring error though that could have cost us

Clarke (7) - Fairly solid as usual, but also guilty of too many long cross field balls

Stott (4) - Had an absolute mare. Caught out of position time and time again and gave their overlapping full back the freedom of BP and allowed him to cut inside at will. His passing was atrocious and struggled to find a team team 5 yards away. He's slow to recover and is definitely not a LB

Branger (6) - In and out of the game, did some very good stuff in tight circumstances when closed down and then passed straight to a red shirt

Sylla (5) - At times, he was more of a hindrance to his own team mates than the opposition, getting in their way when they were on the ball. Showed a couple of glimpses of reasonable ball control, but not enough to warrant a starting spot

Missilou (6) - Not at his best and doesn't have an understanding with Sylla. At times you couldn't get a fag paper between them and it hindered his usual game

Nepomuceno (6) - Again, not his best performance, but had the beating of their full back most of the time only to put in a poor cross

Baxter (9) - The one player who showed he has a footballing brain. He knew when to play it long or short and, whilst not everything came off for him, he was the one to get us even looking like going anywhere. Took his goal very well

O'Grady (4) - How did he miss the free header 6 yards out? I could have put that in. Well, maybe, but you get the idea. Nothing sticks with him. His first touch is awful (unable to trap a bag of wet sand springs to mind) and he looks as though he'd rather be somewhere else. I wish he was

Dearnley (7) - Tried his hardest to get us going down the right side and showed some good skill. His end product wasn't the best, though, but he was the second best outfield player

Maouche (5) - Not the player we've seen recently; didn't drive us on and couldn't find that killer pass 

Vera (5) - Should have scored when he got in the right place. Other than that, he may as well have stayed on the bench and let us play with 10 men

Scholes can only play with what he's got. And he ain't got a lot. He probably needed to rest a couple of players, because 3 games in 8 days on that pudding of a pitch takes a lot of stamina away. I can understand him trying to play Nepomuceno further up the pitch, but it just doesn't work with Stott at LB. I reckon PS doesn't rate Taylor, who's a natural LB and God knows where Iacovetti has gone, so he's limited in what he can do. Where is Afolayan? Still injured? Is he fit enough to start, or at least play a part at Bury? I'll likely get slaughtered for this, but I wonder how it would have panned out if we'd started with Taylor and Coke (cough) instead of Stott and Sylla? *I'll get me coat*

45 minutes ago, Ritchierich said:

He's got to continue to give it a go though while we're somehow still only 6 points off a play off spot....

3 hours ago, deyres42 said:

Just knew from start that he wasn't a manager and nothing that happened altered my view.

Let's be honest, he was about 5 minutes away from not getting back on the bus at Hampton.

Ironic that the only recent manager you rate, had by far the biggest budget of our last four managers, and we still got relegated. 

You say it’s the worst team in your lifetime, but at the same time it was all Bunn’s fault. 🤦🏻‍♂️

Well last night was the my first time back after quite a while i must admit. Watched us a lot in the past and that was the worst display i have ever seen. For me only Baxter looked like he could be bothered. Very poor passing all round and O'Grady..... well lets be nice and say past his best. 

Think Scholes just needs to learn his trade this season have a good summer recruiting players that can pass the ball and tackle. Then a push for promotion next season.

15 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Ironic that the only recent manager you rate, had by far the biggest budget of our last four managers, and we still got relegated. 

You say it’s the worst team in your lifetime, but at the same time it was all Bunn’s fault. 🤦🏻‍♂️

I don't blame Bunn for anything, just felt he was a very uninspiring choice and did little to shift my opinion in his time in situ.

3 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

I meant you of course.

You've lost me I'm afraid.  I've never criticised any manager for jumping around too much or too little on the touchline.  It was fun seeing Pete Wild's fan reaction at Fulham but other than that sort of exceptional event th esubjet cholds no interest for me and I'm surprised that it does for you.

8 hours ago, Wardie said:

based upon what...pure pessimism? :D 

I don't think generally most on here would consider me that!

I've just got a really bad gut feeling based on circumstances him coming too us (still a great coup) and the fact Day2 we performed great, by Day 7 the team had given up & it was shit , Bunn & PW didn't manage that!

All 3 Managers this year have ben dealt a crap hand though, so I really hope he can get something out of this team, or we get some investment and really get a decent team that Scholes can inspire.