Southend (A)

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

We make 4 to  6 changes every game and with a bit of luck might stumble on our strongest team.

I'm not sure all the changes are just for the sake of them. 

A few of our players aren't up to playing twice in a week ( I'm thinking Deanley and Rowe specifically ). 

4 minutes ago, Bobledgersheart said:

I'm not sure all the changes are just for the sake of them. 

A few of our players aren't up to playing twice in a week ( I'm thinking Deanley and Rowe specifically ). 

Why aren't players up to playing twice a week though, they are full time professionals not part timers?

Well that first half will surely be the worst half of football played in the EFL this season.

I was sure that Grant was offside for his goal, but their defence really was that static!  Very good work down the left from CBJ and credit to Grant being in the right place at the right time.  Grant wouldn't be in my first XI but I think he's decent backup for the deeper central role that Rowe plays.

Between then and Piergianni's stupid foul I thought we looked comfortable and McAleny (and Grant) were small margins from sealing it.  Their free kick was a rare bit of quality and from then we were hanging on.  But fair play to Whelan, that's the first time that I've seen this season that he's shown his worth with the ball to Dearnley.  Oxley showed a rush of blood to the head that we've certainly seen before and Zak kept his cool for the finish (thank f*ck he did!)

It's a win, not a pretty win at all, but a vital win.

I was as baffled as the next fan with the team selection, but I thought the formation was right.  A front three suits our squad, but the defence needs as much protection as possible due to the lack of quality.  Our squad has enough options to play a balanced back three and two players on each flank to be wing backs.  Ntambwe might not be the most technically gifted player in the squad but we needed his physicality in the centre of midfield and hopefully it'll give some of the younger players a bit more freedom.

Whatever team we put out is anyone's guess, but 3-4-3 is the way to go.

Special mentions for Dearnley (of course) for another late goal, and Keillor-Dunn for an uncanny ability to consistently find an opposition player with his passes.

I suppose it's a minor positive that our management team has more points than this point last season when Banide got sacked.  🙄  

Roll on Salford. 

It’s very odd with Keillor Dunn, he’ll do something quite impressive, a turn, a run with ball, a useful control of the ball and then ruin it every time with an awful pass. his completed passes Stats must be woeful.

same old problem for me, we are just very poor at controlling the ball and passing it accurately!

Amazingly Southend were even poorer than us so we saw the ball continually given to the opposition in what was a poor quality match. Still, we won.

24 minutes ago, Stainrod said:

It’s very odd with Keillor Dunn, he’ll do something quite impressive, a turn, a run with ball, a useful control of the ball and then ruin it every time with an awful pass. his completed passes Stats must be woeful.

same old problem for me, we are just very poor at controlling the ball and passing it accurately!

Amazingly Southend were even poorer than us so we saw the ball continually given to the opposition in what was a poor quality match. Still, we won.

He also couldn't stay on his feet. Most of the time he beat a man and then fell on his backside!! 

19 hours ago, TheBigDog said:

It really is important that we do well tonight.

Important for Harry Kewell because a defeat might mean he gets the sack.  He survives (for now) and should be back on the touch line at Salford.

Important for the team as losing to the bottom of the league may well erode what little confidence is left. A few definitely growing in confidence - Clarke, Whelan,  CBJ And Ntambwe were improved last night.

Important for me as I cannot bear the thought of watching another performance like the one we put in first half on Saturday.😮 Unbelievably the first half last night was even worse!

Whatever the starting eleven, one or two players need to step up:

McEleny needs to get onto the ball more and onto the scoresheet again. He did and was so close to ending his mini goal drought when hitting the post

Rowe has done well but needs to have a few more shots on goal. He didn’t get the chance so will definitely be starting at Salford

McAlmont needs to show that he is worth his place. Obviously he didn’t and was ‘rested’

Ntambwe needs to show he can play 90 minutes. He did.

Our continuing problem is the lack of positive impact from our central midfield and our wingbacks. The impact was better last night with both CBJ and Whelan getting assists.

Until last Saturday, Barnett had done okay but he was rightly hooked at halftime along with Hamer.  Both rightly ‘rested’

Fage and to a lesser extent CBJ made us more potent when they came on. And it was good to see Fage and Bahamboula combining well down the right in the second half. Fage has some pace and skill but just needs to use the ball better - didn’t get the chance to see his burgeoning partnership with Bahamboula.

If Garrity is the one isolating that leaves us, as we all know, woefully short in the middle of the park.Garrity or Jombati or both?

I will be handing over a tenner for the game (kickoff 7pm) but I will be watching with hope rather than expectation. Hope won 😃

I thought I’d revisit my prematch post in the light of what actually transpired - see in-line comments above.

Let’s be honest ... Southend were very poor so we only needed to be less poor to win the game. 

Salford you are next.

😎

One of the few positives to take from this side is that you always feel they've got a goal in them, which hasn't always been the case with previous squads. If, and it's a big if, HK can find a way to make this defence and midfield more competitive they could string some wins together. It would help if he'd stop making 5 changes every bleeding game.

15 minutes ago, Guy Branston Pickle said:

One of the few positives to take from this side is that you always feel they've got a goal in them, which hasn't always been the case with previous squads. If, and it's a big if, HK can find a way to make this defence and midfield more competitive they could string some wins together. It would help if he'd stop making 5 changes every bleeding game.

Behind Closed Doors is fishing for an argument on the 5 changes policy. If you fancy wasting a few minutes of your time. 

10 hours ago, BP1960 said:

Why aren't players up to playing twice a week though, they are full time professionals not part timers?

I'm a little surprised at you BP.  You usually have some insight.  This season started with no proper pre-season, and immediately went into a punishing schedule with matches mostly twice a week.  Players have been added to the squad half fit,  and for them there is NO pre-season.  Pre-season is about getting fully fit without risk of injury.  Matches certainly get you fit, but things get sore and overused and take time to recover.   It will have been a nightmare to pick through the squad and select 11 people to start who are not carrying something stiff and sore or just unfit.  Add to that players off with covid etc.   All these posts with "I'm not sure why they keep changing the team" show people are not taking all this into account.

"Understand, I am not defending the bad passing etc"

1 hour ago, Pidge said:

I'm a little surprised at you BP.  You usually have some insight.  This season started with no proper pre-season, and immediately went into a punishing schedule with matches mostly twice a week.  Players have been added to the squad half fit,  and for them there is NO pre-season.  Pre-season is about getting fully fit without risk of injury.  Matches certainly get you fit, but things get sore and overused and take time to recover.   It will have been a nightmare to pick through the squad and select 11 people to start who are not carrying something stiff and sore or just unfit.  Add to that players off with covid etc.   All these posts with "I'm not sure why they keep changing the team" show people are not taking all this into account.

They had a pre season and enough games to be fit, and according to the assistant manager they are scoring late goals which confirms this.

The fact is too many players are inconsistent and after a very poor game are dropped. Just watch, McAleny will be next.

Mind you, if DKD starts at Salford I'll have to eat humble pie.

6 hours ago, Pidge said:

Pidge you can't talk sense on here. 

Archived