MATCH: vs Cheltenham Town (A) 26/01/21

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Harry Kewell will have watched Cheltenham twice recently - against Newport and then City in the cup. He cannot have failed to notice the two GIANT centre backs plus the overuse of that long throw. 

This could be the game to bring back Piergianni as his aerial presence may well be needed. I’m certainly unsure as to whether his recent absence is down to him carrying a niggling injury or him being dropped. 

Also, if he does start, it will be interesting to see who gets the captain’s armband. 🤔

Both Adams and Hilssner have shown, in the limited time they have been at the club, what better players can add to the side. As well as bringing experience and more control they also have a positive impact on others around them. We have already beaten Cheltenham at home. Let’s hope that our good Away form continues on Tuesday evening.

12 minutes ago, Monty Burns said:

Defo dropped. Back in for Jombati, Adams Captain, Pidge told to concentrate on winning headers and walking like 

He was injured in the Mansfield match. He couldn't even walk for the last 10 mins. So he wasn't dropped, jus nursing an injury

40 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

Harry Kewell will have watched Cheltenham twice recently - against Newport and then City in the cup. He cannot have failed to notice the two GIANT centre backs plus the overuse of that long throw. 

This could be the game to bring back Piergianni as his aerial presence may well be needed. I’m certainly unsure as to whether his recent absence is down to him carrying a niggling injury or him being dropped. 

Also, if he does start, it will be interesting to see who gets the captain’s armband. 🤔

Both Adams and Hilssner have shown, in the limited time they have been at the club, what better players can add to the side. As well as bringing experience and more control they also have a positive impact on others around them. We have already beaten Cheltenham at home. Let’s hope that our good Away form continues on Tuesday evening.

Yep, as said, we've already seen em off and we've done the same to those above em.

I see a draw or better

I'd keep the same line up that started on Saturday if they're all fit.  Jombati and Garrity haven't been great (nor terrible) but they've been part of a team that's not lost in the last two so I'd keep them in for now.

Sadly I think the only change will probably be McAleny out and Barnes in.

*I forgot that CBJ started ahead of Badan.  On Saturday's performance I'd have Badan starting.

1 hour ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

I'd keep the same line up that started on Saturday if they're all fit.  Jombati and Garrity haven't been great (nor terrible) but they've been part of a team that's not lost in the last two so I'd keep them in for now.

*I forgot that CBJ started ahead of Badan.  On Saturday's performance I'd have Badan starting.

Strange with CBJ, sometimes oozes quality, but really needs to up his game and shrug off the complacency, ex Premier league player or not. 

5 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Strange with CBJ, sometimes oozes quality, but really needs to up his game and shrug off the complacency, ex Premier league player or not. 

Agree BP...solely down to his attitude and a lack of concentration...he could probably play in the Championship but it just looks as if he can’t be arsed!

2 hours ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

Garrity stays

https://www.oldhamathletic.co.uk/news/2020/september/02082020-garrity-joins-latics-on-loan/#:~:text=Oldham Athletic can confirm the,up to Conor McAleny's goal

8 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Is that supposed to be telling us something new? He signed a season long loan

we can still hope the club terminate it 

7 minutes ago, Chaddyexile84 said:

Is that supposed to be telling us something new? He signed a season long loan

we can still hope the club terminate it 

Just noticed it was a September report, thought he was only here until the end of the month.😖

I know he has come in for some criticism recently, and rightly so, but I think Piergianni must start on Tuesday to deal with the aerial threat that will come from the Cheltenham set pieces. Would also play Hamer for the same reason and move Adams either inside or further forward...

11 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott2 said:

I know he has come in for some criticism recently, and rightly so, but I think Piergianni must start on Tuesday to deal with the aerial threat that will come from the Cheltenham set pieces. Would also play Hamer for the same reason and move Adams either inside or further forward...

It makes sense with Tozers long throwing ability but someone will need to watch May for the knockdowns

Other than that, nothing we haven't dealt with from them before.

Pidge should do better now he doesn't have the weight of the captaincy, Hamer possibly but unsure?

This will be a real test. I thought Cheltenham were very good v City, tried to play football rather than hoofball throughout and gave them a scare. Hopefully they'll be knackered/on a downer after the late defeat.

It's been said that they are one of the top footballing sides in L2 but hopefully this will help the likes of Hillsner and Adams. Alfie May is a danger, he ran rings round us when they beat us 3-0 there last season.

5 minutes ago, Worcester Owl said:

This will be a real test. I thought Cheltenham were very good v City, tried to play football rather than hoofball throughout and gave them a scare. Hopefully they'll be knackered/on a downer after the late defeat.

It's been said that they are one of the top footballing sides in L2 but hopefully this will help the likes of Hillsner and Adams. Alfie May is a danger, he ran rings round us when they beat us 3-0 there last season.

Had a little chuckle when the commentator mentioned them being able to concentrate on their promotion push with the visit of Oldham on tuesday night

Hope we approach this one as we did against the likes of Exeter, Cambridge and Newport but on this occasion we're not only stronger, we're coming off the back of a home win.

14 minutes ago, Worcester Owl said:

Duff's developed them really well in the last 2 seasons.  He took them over at the bottom of the league, made them solid and hard to beat first and has gradually brought in more talented attacking players and now they probably have one of the deepest squads in the league.

I'm optimistic after Saturday that we'll compete with them (unlike the game there last year when we were so far off the pace from them) but it'll be a tough game.

3 hours ago, Worcester Owl said:

We usually do ok against footballing teams it's the big physical outfits we have often struggled against.

3 hours ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

Duff's developed them really well in the last 2 seasons.  He took them over at the bottom of the league, made them solid and hard to beat first and has gradually brought in more talented attacking players and now they probably have one of the deepest squads in the league.

I'm optimistic after Saturday that we'll compete with them (unlike the game there last year when we were so far off the pace from them) but it'll be a tough game.

The game after will be far tougher and I'd take a draw at Cheltenham if it lead us to victory over wellens crew, saturday.

5 hours ago, Lee Sinnott2 said:

Agree on Pidge.  Hamer no way. Being able to head is useless if your man is 5m away because you were caught ball watching.  Last thing we want against a team with a set piece threat.

5 hours ago, Lee Sinnott2 said:

8 minutes ago, SweeperKeeper said:

Agree on Pidge.  Hamer no way. Being able to head is useless if your man is 5m away because you were caught ball watching.  Last thing we want against a team with a set piece threat.

Pidge has missed 5 games....we certainly haven’t lost any of them and we are either 4 1 0 or 3 2 0 without him......and of course one of those games was our victory over Cheltenham themselves.  I can’t see any case for recalling him 

4 hours ago, Sheep Foot said:

Pidge has missed 5 games....we certainly haven’t lost any of them and we are either 4 1 0 or 3 2 0 without him......and of course one of those games was our victory over Cheltenham themselves.  I can’t see any case for recalling him 

Not true. He wasn't playing when we lost 2-0 at home to Scunthorpe. 

Archived