MATCH: vs Forest Green Rovers (A) 16/02/21

1 hour ago, mcfluff1985 said:

Post about Wheater using those statistics I just can't get on board with. Comparing 3 games to 37 isn't possible and then bending those stats to include games where Wheater played but we conceded when he wasn't on the pitch to make his stats seem better is hilarious. Are those games ones where he was an absolute idiot and got himself sent off? Wheater was shite, nowhere near what everyone hoped and now he isn't playing all those who were saying the same have him down as the saviour. Better than Jombatti? Yes. Not by much. 

Then BP pops up with Dino being a motivational head coach. Jesus wept. Hates a clipboard but loves a man who waves his arms around despite the fact it was some of the worst football anyone has witnessed.

I'd take the FGR game and us being an attacking side over any one of his performances or anything bar a few games we've seen over the last 8 years.

People here would rather watch a tedious 1-0 defeat with the manager waving his arms about than a 7 goal thriller like FGR.

I'd rather us go Kevin Keegan style all out attack than watch us sit back and try and nick a 1-0 and end up drawing or losing with about 1 shot on goal 

I'm glad you found my post so hilarious, we all need a bit of cheering up in these dark times 😀

The point of my post wasn't to provide certain proof that Wheater is the messiah that would 100% lead us to glory (although I suspect you know this).  It was in response to someone using stats because they were sure he wouldn't make a difference. And it was more to highlight that even a small improvement to our defence could make a big difference to our league position, and that it was disgraceful of the club to not even attempt that improvement in January one way or another.

Wheater did not perform to the standard I and most others would have expected last season, I'm totally with you on that.  But it's possible to hold that opinion and also still think he'd be an improvement on what we have now.  Wheater of last season alongside Clarke vs Piergianni alongside Jombatti? I know who I'd pick.

It's also possible to want us to tighten up a bit to try and get more points and that not mean you just want to lose 1-0 instead of 4-3.  I'm just fed up of us losing full stop.  I want us to get promoted, however that happens, and it certainly isn't happening with the defence the way it is now.

• Replies 473
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I prefer HKs football as at least its as entertaining as anything we have seen for a few years. If Robinson was in charge we would have lost 1-0 on Tues with a dour performance.Some years ago I had a conversation with an ex Man City player from the 1950s. He said that one season in old 1st div they scored 125 goals and conceded 106. Finished in top 6 and the fans loved it. They played 2 matches one week, won 7-2 at home then on Tues lost 8-4 away. Never happen now ,but what entertainment.

19 minutes ago, Worcester Owl said:

On Wheater, I think most of us agree that a properly run club would have sorted the situation - maybe not allowed it to develop at all - long ago. But like the North Stand saga, on and on it goes. He is not, by a long way, one of our better players but for a club with our limited resources to have kept his wage on the budget for so long without sorting it out tells you that, in my view, we'll never advance under the clowns who own this club.

This is absolutely spot on.

41 minutes ago, Wee Bobby said:

I prefer HKs football as at least its as entertaining as anything we have seen for a few years. If Robinson was in charge we would have lost 1-0 on Tues with a dour performance.Some years ago I had a conversation with an ex Man City player from the 1950s. He said that one season in old 1st div they scored 125 goals and conceded 106. Finished in top 6 and the fans loved it. They played 2 matches one week, won 7-2 at home then on Tues lost 8-4 away. Never happen now ,but what entertainment.

That's Leeds now.  I'm struggling to cope with the concept that watching them can be entertaining!

1 hour ago, Wee Bobby said:

I prefer Kewell's attacking style of football (i.e. score more than the opposition) but not the defensive, I also think however that the defensive frailties are down to the players, mainly a lack of a centre half partnership and midfield not tracking back to cover.

Of the worst managers for style of play only, the one's right up there for me would be Sharpe, Talbot, Moore, Penny, Holden, Kelly, Dunn, Robinson, Banide & Maamria. Others probably didn't have enough games for me to form an opinion but some of the above were absolutely bad enough to list.

1 hour ago, Worcester Owl said:

On Wheater, I think most of us agree that a properly run club would have sorted the situation - maybe not allowed it to develop at all - long ago. But like the North Stand saga, on and on it goes. He is not, by a long way, one of our better players but for a club with our limited resources to have kept his wage on the budget for so long without sorting it out tells you that, in my view, we'll never advance under the clowns who own this club.

🎣

5 hours ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

I rate Kewell and Dino at a similar level, albeit with very contrasting styles.

As flawed as it is, I prefer Kewell's approach.

I understand. Were we dealing with a better calibre of player....and more importantly.....a squad assembled by Kewell, i could probably agree. My thoughts are that Dino is more likely to make that collective 'silk purse from a sow's ear'

7 minutes ago, otid said:

I understand. Were we dealing with a better calibre of player....and more importantly.....a squad assembled by Kewell, i could probably agree. My thoughts are that Dino is more likely to make that collective 'silk purse from a sow's ear'

Football under Dino bored me rigid....For the entertainment value alone...I would have Kewell over him all day long Tony!

5 hours ago, mcfluff1985 said:

Post about Wheater using those statistics I just can't get on board with. Comparing 3 games to 37 isn't possible and then bending those stats to include games where Wheater played but we conceded when he wasn't on the pitch to make his stats seem better is hilarious. Are those games ones where he was an absolute idiot and got himself sent off? Wheater was shite, nowhere near what everyone hoped and now he isn't playing all those who were saying the same have him down as the saviour. Better than Jombatti? Yes. Not by much. 

Then BP pops up with Dino being a motivational head coach. Jesus wept. Hates a clipboard but loves a man who waves his arms around despite the fact it was some of the worst football anyone has witnessed.

I'd take the FGR game and us being an attacking side over any one of his performances or anything bar a few games we've seen over the last 8 years.

People here would rather watch a tedious 1-0 defeat with the manager waving his arms about than a 7 goal thriller like FGR.

I'd rather us go Kevin Keegan style all out attack than watch us sit back and try and nick a 1-0 and end up drawing or losing with about 1 shot on goal 

The logic apparently is this. 

Based on no evidence in an Oldham shirt thus far, many are hoping he will show something he didn’t in the previous 34 appearances. Or if he can’t lead and organise then at least he’s better than Jambutty. . . what an endorsement for your top earner and former captain! People seem to forget- he wasn’t a gamble that didn’t pay off. He was a very good coup, with an excellent CV and his wage reflected that. 

They then make up numbers about goals he would save and points we would gain based on guesswork. Conveniently forgetting he played over 90% of games in the second worst defence last season in a side that finished near bottom. 

I can’t for life me understand the clamour for a player who has been a massive let down on the pitch and whose influence is so small and in inconsequential it would make any material difference anyway. 

On a side note. I think a lot of this is a proxy argument when in reality it’s about ALMO. An awful lot of people can’t debate anything about the club without it being seen through the prism of AL out. 

2 minutes ago, League one forever said:

he’s better than Jambutty. . . what an endorsement for your top earner and former captain!

But that's the only point.  Nobody is saying he's been anything other than disappointing overall

38 minutes ago, League one forever said:

So it’s been reduced to that? If that’s the case, I’d rather give the youth boys a chance Dave. 

Possibly but none appear to be pushing for a place.  We have a different one on the bench every week and I'm guessing that's only because league rules mean  there has to be at least one in the squad.

40 minutes ago, League one forever said:

The logic apparently is this. 

Based on no evidence in an Oldham shirt thus far, many are hoping he will show something he didn’t in the previous 34 appearances. Or if he can’t lead and organise then at least he’s better than Jambutty. . . what an endorsement for your top earner and former captain! People seem to forget- he wasn’t a gamble that didn’t pay off. He was a very good coup, with an excellent CV and his wage reflected that. 

They then make up numbers about goals he would save and points we would gain based on guesswork. Conveniently forgetting he played over 90% of games in the second worst defence last season in a side that finished near bottom. 

I can’t for life me understand the clamour for a player who has been a massive let down on the pitch and whose influence is so small and in inconsequential it would make any material difference anyway. 

On a side note. I think a lot of this is a proxy argument when in reality it’s about ALMO. An awful lot of people can’t debate anything about the club without it being seen through the prism of AL out. 

Your argument appears to be that David Wheater would not improve this defence or team in any way whatsoever.

My opinion is that he would.  No idea by how much, just that he would be an improvement on a team shipping nearly 2 goals a game.  So we're in disagreement.  That's fine.  No need to make up a load of bollocks about what you think I've said/implied/thought.

14 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

Your argument appears to be that David Wheater would not improve this defence or team in any way whatsoever.

My opinion is that he would.  No idea by how much, just that he would be an improvement on a team shipping nearly 2 goals a game.  So we're in disagreement.  That's fine.  No need to make up a load of bollocks about what you think I've said/implied/thought.

With you on this

Ofcourse Wheater would improve our backline, right now I'd take anyone worth their salt.

9 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

You’ve that personally. Don’t know why. Can’t be arsed measuring cock size. It’s fucking boring. WE don’t agree, but there is a larger conversation going on. 

Just now, League one forever said:

You’ve that personally. Don’t know why. Can’t be arsed measuring cock size. It’s fucking boring. WE don’t agree, but there is a larger conversation going on. 

I took it personally because you replied to a post that was about my post and misrepresented things I'd said. Eg "They then make up numbers about goals he would save and points we would gain based on guesswork." - this is about what I said wasn't it?

I've no interest in a slanging match either, I thought the exchange was very amicable til that point.

26 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

I took it personally because you replied to a post that was about my post and misrepresented things I'd said. Eg "They then make up numbers about goals he would save and points we would gain based on guesswork." - this is about what I said wasn't it?

I've no interest in a slanging match either, I thought the exchange was very amicable til that point.

Can’t remember who, but somebody else talked marginal gains. To me it’s all the in the same pot.

We now seem to be saying.  We know he hasn’t been great, and he probably won’t make a big difference. But at least he’s still better than Jambutty, (which he is)  sorry but that’s good enough from my top earner and former captain. I honestly would rather play Sutton who is a young and hungry and we could sell on. Than giving Wheater another crack in a season where we aren’t going up or down and where most people readily admit he has been a letdown anyway. 

If he won’t improve us significantly, what’s the point? 

18 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Can’t remember who, but somebody else talked marginal gains. To me it’s all the in the same pot.

We now seem to be saying.  We know he hasn’t been great, and he probably won’t make a big difference. But at least he’s still better than Jambutty, (which he is)  sorry but that’s good enough from my top earner and former captain. I honestly would rather play Sutton who is a young and hungry and we could sell on. Than giving Wheater another crack in a season where we aren’t going up or down and where most people readily admit he has been a letdown anyway. 

You're putting a lot of words in other people's mouths. 

1 hour ago, League one forever said:

Again, that's not what I'm saying. But anyway, to answer to your question... Because he might improve us a little bit and we get into the play offs?

25 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

Again, that's not what I'm saying. But anyway, to answer to your question... Because he might improve us a little bit and we get into the play offs?

What? Hang on- the playoffs now? You keep changing the goalposts. A little bit and the playoffs don’t belong in the same sentence. We’re not 8th, just missing a final piece. We are 17th, haven’t been out of the bottom half all season and our highest position is 14th. We are million miles away from the level needed to make the top 7 despite whatever bullshit Karl comes out with about top ten squads. 

Is there a chance Wheater would improve us a little bit. Yes.

Is he better than Jambutty. Yes. 

Has he shown he has the leadership, nous, or ability thus for us to think he will have the transformative effect needed to reach the playoffs. Not a chance. 

Do you honestly think his inclusion is the difference between where we are and potentially being in the play offs? 

7 minutes ago, League one forever said:

What? Hang on- the playoffs now? You keep changing the goalposts. A little bit and the playoffs don’t belong in the same sentence. We’re not 8th, just missing a final piece. We are 17th, haven’t been out of the bottom half all season and our highest position is 14th. We are million miles away from the level needed to make the top 7 despite whatever bullshit Karl comes out with about top ten squads. 

Is there a chance Wheater would improve us a little bit. Yes.

Is he better than Jambutty. Yes. 

Has he shown he has the leadership, nous, or ability thus for us to think he will have the transformative effect needed to reach the playoffs. Not a chance. 

Do you honestly think his inclusion is the difference between where we are and potentially being in the play offs? 

I've not moved any goalposts that I'm aware of.  We're 9 points off the playoffs with 19 games to go in a really tight, generally low quality league.  I think that with him in the team, we'd stand a better chance of closing that gap than if we just carry on as we are.  And as we didn't get rid of him in January or sign another centre back, to keep him out of the team for non footballing reasons now is deliberate self sabotage by AL and Mo.

Archived