MATCH: vs Forest Green Rovers (A) 16/02/21

• Replies 473
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, nzlatic said:

I've not moved any goalposts that I'm aware of.  We're 9 points off the playoffs with 19 games to go in a really tight, generally low quality league.  I think that with him in the team, we'd stand a better chance of closing that gap than if we just carry on as we are.  And as we didn't get rid of him in January or sign another centre back, to keep him out of the team for non footballing reasons now is deliberate self sabotage by AL and Mo.

I’m not getting into ALMO, because we we agree on that on every level. 

I can accept that Wheater will know where to stand where as Jambutty doesn’t. 

But, the idea that he could be the difference in a tight league is way off IMO. (That’s not all him by the way, we are collectively nowhere near good enough at the back to make the play offs but we know why that is) 

11 minutes ago, League one forever said:

I’m not getting into ALMO, because we we agree on that on every level. 

I can accept that Wheater will know where to stand where as Jambutty doesn’t. 

But, the idea that he could be the difference in a tight league is way off IMO. (That’s not all him by the way, we are collectively nowhere near good enough at the back to make the play offs but we know why that is) 

Good place to leave it. It’s why I tend to stay out of general team selection discussions, all feels pretty irrelevant when there’s no chance we’re going anywhere positive under this ownership. 

6 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

If a player who hasn't played for a year would make a such a difference it makes you wonder why nobody tried to take him off our hands in either of the last two windows...

Prohibitive wages? But if we are paying him surely it makes sense to try and use him. 

And yes I do think he would be better than Jambutty. I also think he isn't Baresi, Beckenbaur, or any other top class defender. 

29 minutes ago, disjointed said:

Prohibitive wages? But if we are paying him surely it makes sense to try and use him. 

And yes I do think he would be better than Jambutty. I also think he isn't Baresi, Beckenbaur, or any other top class defender. 

I was really surprised he didn't try and get a move elsewhere in January, he might find it tricky come the summer given how long he'll have been out by then.

Jombati is a RB. It’s no wonder he’s no good at CB, especially given the amount of different CB-pairings we’ve had this season (5? 6?)

Would a match fit Wheater improve the defence? Of course he would. Enough to reach the play-offs? No chance.

and Dino or Kewell? **** me,  it’s like two bald men fight over a comb.

4 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott2 said:

Kewell is crap, but 1,000,000 times better than the dross that was served up under Dino...

Stretching a point, but I agree it is more enjoyable, whilst feeling as though we have been short changed in the manager stakes again. 

20 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott2 said:

Kewell is crap, but 1,000,000 times better than the dross that was served up under Dino...

Agree,Dino seemed like a decent chap but was sick of the style of play.We might not better off in terms of position but at least we’re entertaining to watch!

9 hours ago, oafc1955 said:

Football under Dino bored me rigid....For the entertainment value alone...I would have Kewell over him all day long Tony!

I know what you mean Graham.  If we are ever to get out of this divison though (at the right end) we're going to have to recognise what succeeds in this division. Big sides who are uncompromising at the back and don't bother with the fashionable 'play out from the back' route (Salford will continue to miss out trying to pass their way out of this division). I admire the way he wants to play and the counter attacking style suits us in away games but it is patently obvious, he hasn't a clue how to adapt when not playing on the break.

8 hours ago, otid said:

I know what you mean Graham.  If we are ever to get out of this divison though (at the right end) we're going to have to recognise what succeeds in this division. Big sides who are uncompromising at the back and don't bother with the fashionable 'play out from the back' route (Salford will continue to miss out trying to pass their way out of this division). I admire the way he wants to play and the counter attacking style suits us in away games but it is patently obvious, he hasn't a clue how to adapt when not playing on the break.

We can attack on the break, but we often get caught out doing the first bit- soaking up the pressure. Our shape and organisation at the back is nowhere near good enough. 

9 hours ago, otid said:

Seems like youre saying if our current team added a top CB and a keeper who could catch, therefore reducing our goals conceded but not in the slightest reducing our potent atrack, that we still wouldn't do anything worthwhile bc the players arent big enough and don't play enough route one???

I find this theory ridiculous and piff in your general direction. 

9 hours ago, otid said:

Sorry but this notion that you have to be the biggest and meanest team to get out of the division simply isn't true. Both Swindon and Crewe who finished 1st and 2and last season were footballing sides. Stevenage were an ugly uncompromising side and were terrible.

It doesn't mean having a physical side can't succeed Lincoln in 2019 were a very direct big team but you need to be able to do both. If you are a footballing side you need to still have enough of a physical presence to fight teams if it gets that way.

Alternatively big physical sides often lack creativity and guile and you need enough of that to create chances otherwise you will fail.

Teams don't just play out from the back because it fashionable it can be a very effective way to play building through the third.

More than one way to skin a cat etc.

Personally I think it’s a combination of the two. Swindon went up in large part due to Doyle. We have Mac, and as we’ve seen we don’t struggle scoring goals. I’d like to see us play our Football in their half, and do the basics in our half. To play out from the back, needs a certain level of player who can loook after the ball under pressure. We don’t have one such player. 

2 hours ago, League one forever said:

Personally I think it’s a combination of the two. Swindon went up in large part due to Doyle. We have Mac, and as we’ve seen we don’t struggle scoring goals. I’d like to see us play our Football in their half, and do the basics in our half. To play out from the back, needs a certain level of player who can loook after the ball under pressure. We don’t have one such player. 

Makes good sense to me, I don't worry too much about no having the best defensive record, our tradition is playing with width and wild abandon at times.

Very frustrated with the result at Forrest Green.

The pleasing aspect was to see Conor Mac so involved in the game, we don't have many aces, so play up to him.

Taking Dylan out to accommodate Tas didn't work, I fear this may be the plan.

Marcel continues to be highly entertaining and increasingly productive, need to stick with picking our best eleven HK.

1 hour ago, Mayfield said:

Makes good sense to me, I don't worry too much about no having the best defensive record, our tradition is playing with width and wild abandon at times.

Very frustrated with the result at Forrest Green.

The pleasing aspect was to see Conor Mac so involved in the game, we don't have many aces, so play up to him.

Taking Dylan out to accommodate Tas didn't work, I fear this may be the plan.

Marcel continues to be highly entertaining and increasingly productive, need to stick with picking our best eleven HK.

But we all know that won't happen.

1 hour ago, Bristolatic said:

But we all know that won't happen.

And with due respect nor should it. We are now going to be playing Saturday Tuesdays Saturday Tuesday until April. This is going to be heavy on the legs, playing the same 11 will just see us pick up injuries and get beat.

This season with its compressed fixture list has tested the strength of squads more than ever and I think that's why we have a tighter league as rotation is a necessity.

Archived