Jump to content

Recommended Posts

If the big six want to do their own thing then this should be instead of competing in our domestic premiership and cup competitions. This of course would be untenable to them but would open up our own league(s) and provide opportunities for those who often get little look in - Leicester winning the Premiership was a joy.

I’d ask what footballer would want to compete in a closed league where home fans dominate the atmosphere and they are denied the opportunity to play for their national team?

Of course they want it both ways with the new league being in addition to their presence in the Premier league with games played midweek. Weren’t they looking to reduce games? The natural consequence will be that they decline to enter the FA cup and League Cup. Shame on them.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

1. You're immediately removed from all domestic competitions and banned from future ones 2. You're immediately removed from international club competitions and banned from future ones 3. You

It's all folding like a deck of cards, hopefully Stretford Fc will stick to their guns and then get fucked off by the FA. 

If only we (people and the collective media) could do the same when it comes to things like, oh I don't know - maybe the health secretary bunging his mates and his sister millions of our pounds?

Posted Images

They have tried this trick before in the late 90's they pushed for a European super league which never happened but resulted in the expansion of the champions league.

 

Its clear the bigger clubs are pushing for something similar. The concern for us will be what this does to domestic cups as the bigger clubs increasingly see them as a distraction.

 

One thing I can see happening is an expanded champions league and the possibility of pushing those CL games to weekend. The current schedule means that the CL is on prime time tv in Europe 8n midweek but isn't accessible or sellable to North America or the far east. However if they scheduled those games to the weekend then they can get a better deal. A lunchtime kick off in Europe is prime time viewing in the far east.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

They have tried this trick before in the late 90's they pushed for a European super league which never happened but resulted in the expansion of the champions league.

 

Its clear the bigger clubs are pushing for something similar. The concern for us will be what this does to domestic cups as the bigger clubs increasingly see them as a distraction.

 

One thing I can see happening is an expanded champions league and the possibility of pushing those CL games to weekend. The current schedule means that the CL is on prime time tv in Europe 8n midweek but isn't accessible or sellable to North America or the far east. However if they scheduled those games to the weekend then they can get a better deal. A lunchtime kick off in Europe is prime time viewing in the far east.

 

True.  But UEFA has already made proposals to expand the CL.  The weekend thing is spot on.  They want 8pm in Singapore

Link to post
Share on other sites

Not much to do with us anymore.

 

I had to laugh this morning when the Aston Villa chairman was on the radio weeping bitter tears about the proposals. 

 

All he's brassed off about is that it won't involve him. If you offered the Premier League clubs a breakaway with no promotion or relegation they'd take it like a shot. Like pigs in the trough.

 

Then they talk about 'the game' and the pyramid and funds coming down the leagues.Just spare me. The whole neo liberal model of football is shot.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

1. You're immediately removed from all domestic competitions and banned from future ones

2. You're immediately removed from international club competitions and banned from future ones

3. Your players are banned from participating in international tournaments from today

4. Now off you fuck

  • Like 12
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

1. You're immediately removed from all domestic competitions and banned from future ones

2. You're immediately removed from international club competitions and banned from future ones

3. Your players are banned from participating in international tournaments from today

4. Now off you fuck

Do you really believe the courts will allow such restrictions on players practising their trade?

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, whittles left foot said:

Do you really believe the courts will allow such restrictions on players practising their trade?

Which bit are you talking about? Is it restricting their ability to practice their trade by establishing eligibility rules to say that any player competing in a FIFA or UEFA international tournament be registered for an approved domestic or international club competition?

Link to post
Share on other sites

As i understand it, the ‘breakaway’ clubs want this European Super League, played midweek, to replace their involvement in the Champions League. The twelve (soon to be fifteen) will then be guaranteed participants irrespective of how well/poorly they are performing in their domestic leagues. This removes any possibility that the likes of Spurs, Arsenal, Man Utd may fail to qualify for a share of the lucrative pot of gold.

 

Of course they will also want to continue playing in the domestic leagues but, as we are already seeing, the top clubs will be able to sweep all the best talent and huge playing squads will inevitably lead to regular squad rotation with financial reward determining who plays when. All to the detriment of the domestic leagues and cups. Before to long their greed will surface again with the talk of expansion and larger television deals and markets.

 

It is the thin end of the wedge and sadly the players and agents will continue to demand more and more of the monies.  Shame on them all.

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

 

 

It is the thin end of the wedge and sadly the players and agents will continue to demand more and more of the monies.  Shame on them all.

 

 

 

 

 

It's way beyond the thin end.  We were full and willing participants when the wedge was inserted into the crack (insert Carry Onesque joke of choice here)

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

It is the thin end of the wedge

 

 

Started in 1992, this is very much based on Premiership architecture.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, tGWB said:


youre way off on this BP


these Clubs will already have paid $millions in market research to test the potential of such a competition and JP Morgan have allegedly come up with nearly $5 billion to fund it 


Interest Worldwide will be massive 

It really won't. Sling them out and let the rest of us get on with the game.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Matt said:

 

Started in 1992, this is very much based on Premiership architecture.

I've always found it surprising that the PL hasn't reduced the number of relegation places over the years

Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, whittles left foot said:

Do you really believe the courts will allow such restrictions on players practising their trade?

Nothing to stop the money-grubbing bastards setting up their own international matches. But of course we already know that the Glazers & co loathe international football as an unnecessary distraction.

 

Current internationals will be free to choose between Glazer/Henry/Sheikh whatsisname with their version of the World Cup, if they can be bothered to set one up, and the FIFA/UEFA sanctioned competitions. No restriction at all. But hopefully, in due course, the decline of unaccountable multinational owners when the ESL eventually blows up.

Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s horrible to see the game being run by these ‘businessmen’ after more and more money. Hopefully won’t go ahead due to the backlash but it’s just another reason why watching football is harder and harder to take at the moment. All about money at all levels

 

The new champs league will have 2 places for teams not qualified through the league via best prior performance to make sure the big clubs get in even if they have a bad year. The premier league parachute payments are another example of unfair play. Hard to stomach really

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

I've always found it surprising that the PL hasn't reduced the number of relegation places over the years

 

Because it would be bad for their competiton they need to make sure the West Broms Fulhams Burnleys etc are fighting for their lives otherwise the product will just die. To this extent the Premier league has been a success its a competitive league throughout and aslong as their is a chance of teams coming through that will remain the case.

 

Why this super league will fail (and I think there is more chance of United and Liverpool playing in Rugby Leagues super league than this happening) Will be that ultimately you will get a few games into the competition and you will already have too many dead rubbers.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Worcester Owl said:

It really won't. Sling them out and let the rest of us get on with the game.


just maybe, thats exactly what they want 

 

the competition rules state the Clubs want to stay in their current leagues

 

this so called Elite Super League is an alternative to the UEFA Champions League 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, nzlatic said:

1. You're immediately removed from all domestic competitions and banned from future ones

2. You're immediately removed from international club competitions and banned from future ones

3. Your players are banned from participating in international tournaments from today

4. Now off you fuck

 

Apart from #4, and according to Sky Sports News, this is what UEFA president Aleksander Ceferin has effectively said today!

 

Edited by LaticMark
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, nzlatic said:

1. You're immediately removed from all domestic competitions and banned from future ones

2. You're immediately removed from international club competitions and banned from future ones

3. Your players are banned from participating in international tournaments from today

4. Now off you fuck

 

Made me giggle that nz, like something out of a kids comic

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, hillside blue said:

It has been coming for some years now, first the prem, then the champions league, changes to youth and academy systems, big cubs getting first dibs on young talent and the way the money filters down to pyramid. The big clubs feel threatened when the likes of Leicester gate crash the party, they want a monopoly.

Sadly, they will be the initial uproar, similar to when the Glaizers  took over at United, with most fans vowing to never go back and even setting up FC Utd, but in the end they all crept back. Football is tribal, even though your team you support might be crap, to jump ship and support another team is unthinkable, but in the case of this super league, once the PR machine moves into overdrive and the games will at first will be cheap to watch, then the masses will flock to watch. The new european league will then become a world league.

The days when the likes of Oldham and Wimbledon making it to the top table will be long gone.

 

Glazer knows Manchester United have millions of fans world wide who want to bask in their glory and will pay his club a TV subscription to watch them play live.

Manchester United TV might be £8 a month now bit just you see it shoot up to £25 a month once they are in a European Super League.

It's TV money Glazer and Co are after, they couldn't care less if matches are played in empty stadiums.

Let them clear off, English football will be all be better without the greedy mob. 

Edited by BP1960
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

 

4 hours ago, Handsy said:

Where do the likes of arsenal  and Tottenham and united  think they will finish in this super league they haven’t troubled the Man City Chelsea monopoly on the premier league for years it’s about money  and nothing else Man City. Big club no way rich club yes.

They are not trying to make money the way people think... this isn't the old way, it's the new way - online and international from the sport and in the markets from the business. 

 

4 hours ago, Handsy said:

Ajax  4 times winners of European cup  Nottingham forest twice  Aston Villa once.  Celtic far bigger club fan wise world wide than city Tottenham and arsenal and past. Winners and finalist  big 6 my arse big heads more like 

The list goes on - the likes of Ipswich have more European trophies than some of the participants!

 

4 hours ago, Magic Mikey said:

They're trying to grab more and more money. Yet all that ultimately happens is that it ends up in the pockets of players. 

Not if they can implement parts of the US system they like, given this is based on those. The can use the Collective Bargaining Agreements as a payments cap, put players in to bands etc.  They just need to crush the domestic game first - give them a few years. 

 

4 hours ago, PlayItLivo said:

“Legacy Fans”

In my industry we use "Legacy" to mean the things we're going to End of Life, but which we don't want to admit that about yet..... 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

 

Glazer knows Manchester United have millions of fans world wide who want to bask in their glory and will pay his club a TV subscription to watch them play live.

Manchester United TV might be £8 a month now bit just you see it shoot up to £25 a month once they are in a European Super League.

It's TV money Glazer and Co are after, they couldn't care less if matches are played in empty stadiums.

Let them clear off, English football will be all be better without the greedy mob. 


 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Stainrod said:

If the big six want to do their own thing then this should be instead of competing in our domestic premiership and cup competitions. This of course would be untenable to them but would open up our own league(s) and provide opportunities for those who often get little look in - Leicester winning the Premiership was a joy.

I’d ask what footballer would want to compete in a closed league where home fans dominate the atmosphere and they are denied the opportunity to play for their national team?

Of course they want it both ways with the new league being in addition to their presence in the Premier league with games played midweek. Weren’t they looking to reduce games? The natural consequence will be that they decline to enter the FA cup and League Cup. Shame on them.

 

 

We know footballers, like in many sports they follow where the money is.

Cricket was one of the first to go that way, look at the County Championship now, you rarely see a star player, only a handful of spectators at matches and total disinterest from TV and the media.

For example, how many of you know what's the current Lancashire's team and how they are doing? 
That's where we could be heading with domestic football.

 

 

Edited by BP1960
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, tGWB said:


We know shares can crash and businesses go bust overnight.

 

3 minutes ago, tGWB said:


 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...