MATCH: vs Bristol Rovers (A) 17/08/2021

3 minutes ago, maximus1267 said:

So if I'm understanding the logic here.

If you are still going for personal or family reasons thats ok. 

If you go bacause of the football and are the type of person who believes that what goes on off the pitch is out of their hands or for others to deal with then thats not ok.

I will give an exame of my experiences with my job and colleagues.

Some us challenge our bosses and the policies in place that affect my work life experience.

Some of my colleagues just aren't the type, cant be arsed or just want to do their job and go home and would rather someone like me confront issues.

Thats fine because I know we are all very different animals. I may get plenty of stress through my job, some of my colleagues don't.

I don't call them out, I choose to be the way I am.

So whether you go to latics for any reason it doesn't matter.

Its none of my business and I respect their decision.

We should all respect each other and accept not every fan will want to protest, boycott or confront people.

We're not employed by the club.  We're fans and we care and we want a club to keep supporting, or for our children to support.

My only point is that we should all care why we're in the position we're in.  We should all acknowledge that we're being badly run by those in charge (I don't think anyone could deny that now).  And we should all try and do something if possible, however big or small that may be.  Whether that's full on boycott, or going to the game but refusing to buy a cup of tea. Or if you and your child normally buy a new shirt, get the child one but not one for you. Or sign an open letter by a fans group. Or send an email to the club. Or join PTB or OASF or both. Or stick 2 fingers up at Mo through the window when you walk past the ground. Or just offer support and encouragement to those who do want to do something.

What I don't agree with is the position of "I don't care what happens off the pitch, and there's nothing I can do about it anyway".  We should all care, and we are all capable of doing something.

• Replies 464
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

We're not employed by the club.  We're fans and we care and we want a club to keep supporting, or for our children to support.

My only point is that we should all care why we're in the position we're in.  We should all acknowledge that we're being badly run by those in charge (I don't think anyone could deny that now).  And we should all try and do something if possible, however big or small that may be.  Whether that's full on boycott, or going to the game but refusing to buy a cup of tea. Or if you and your child normally buy a new shirt, get the child one but not one for you. Or sign an open letter by a fans group. Or send an email to the club. Or join PTB or OASF or both. Or stick 2 fingers up at Mo through the window when you walk past the ground. Or just offer support and encouragement to those who do want to do something.

What I don't agree with is the position of "I don't care what happens off the pitch, and there's nothing I can do about it anyway".  We should all care, and we are all capable of doing something.

I am not saying you are wrong here.

When or where have fans said they don't care what happens off the pitch ?

Crowds will be down to sub 2000, if we still exist, by the time the three year embargo runs out. Season ticket sales will also crash. Very few of us are going to put up with this kind of display for that amount of time. Whether a new owner would be able to do anything about the embargo isn't clear.  

7 minutes ago, maximus1267 said:

I am not saying you are wrong here.

When or where have fans said they don't care what happens off the pitch ?

I don't know, the sentiment has come across from time to time. Whether it's full on not caring or they know something is wrong but they feel there's nothing fans can do about it so what's the point? It's kind of the same thing - apathy.

Our conversation started because you took my comment about us being bottom of the league to mean that I was having a dig at fans who still go.  Hopefully I've explained myself well enough to show that's not what I meant.  But us being bottom of the league should be a red flag for those who may previously not seen one.  Whether there are direct quotes from people saying they don't care about what happens off the pitch I don't know and I can't be bothered searching. But there is definitely plenty of apathy about our situation, and even negativity toward those looking to do something about it.

3 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

I don't know, the sentiment has come across from time to time. Whether it's full on not caring or they know something is wrong but they feel there's nothing fans can do about it so what's the point? It's kind of the same thing - apathy.

Our conversation started because you took my comment about us being bottom of the league to mean that I was having a dig at fans who still go.  Hopefully I've explained myself well enough to show that's not what I meant.  But us being bottom of the league should be a red flag for those who may previously not seen one.  Whether there are direct quotes from people saying they don't care about what happens off the pitch I don't know and I can't be bothered searching. But there is definitely plenty of apathy about our situation, and even negativity toward those looking to do something about it.

Well, any fan not caring is not a fan.

Fans who think whats the point, what can little old me do to change things, doesn't really mean they don't care.

To alot of fans, the professional game is very eliteist to be involved with, you either have to be rich, a business person or a professional sportsman. Most fans believe we are just fans, a bit like saying " I'm just a number " in the work environment.

As I said not all people have the appetite for confrontation, getting involved or maybe they have no confidence in themselves and don't believe they can alter situations way beyond their skill base, pay grade or status.

You will never unite everyone, there will always be a mix.

But a majority of fans in our case making a stance can't turn on those who they deem not doing so.

3 minutes ago, maximus1267 said:

But a majority of fans in our case making a stance can't turn on those who they deem not doing so.

Of course. Not advocating they do.  I think there needs to be a meeting in the middle though - those who don't want to do anything should support those who do. And those who do, should try and encourage those who don't to be involved in some way. 

2 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

Of course. Not advocating they do.  I think there needs to be a meeting in the middle though - those who don't want to do anything should support those who do. And those who do, should try and encourage those who don't to be involved in some way. 

Agree 100%

As long as encourage is just.

3 hours ago, Matt said:

There is absolutely no obligation to interact, you don't have to reply to anything that doesn't appear to be something you want to read. If your only reason for replying is to annoy people, then it's probably best for you not to reply. If you want to create debate, start a thread on something you do want to talk about or that interests you. Please allow other people to talk about what they want to talk about, even if you're not interested.

Cheers.

Thanks, I'm a great believer in freedom of speech and I do want to read the posts but my point was that there is less and less football being talked about on a so called football forum. That's all. 

4 minutes ago, C.O.JONES said:

Thanks, I'm a great believer in freedom of speech and I do want to read the posts but my point was that there is less and less football being talked about on a so called football forum. That's all. 

What do you expect, with respect ?

2 hours ago, maximus1267 said:

This is what as fans we have to stop if there is going to be any form of unity as a group to make life difficult for the two clowns.

Doesnt matter why I go or you dont, and neither of us as a right to ridicule that free choice.

Having a go at fans for clapping or vice versa, fans having a go at boycotters will achieve nothing only more bad feeling.

Coming together as one and finding a middle ground that we are all happy with takes maturity & honesty. If we can't unite now we never will.

I wasn't having a go I just don't get that line at all. I mean if the younger generation who have never watched any kind of success then maybe I can sort of excuse it. But when you see an older generation who have actually seen successful Oldham teams and great Oldham players coming out with this then I don't get it at all. It must break their hearts watching what we have deteriorated into.

But then coming out with the line I only go for the football well the footballs crap!

Now I went to the Newport game partly out of morbid curiosity. Sat infront of me was an older gentleman with what was probably his granddaughter. Now I'd imagine that's something he's wanted to do for years and after the last 18 months where he may have gone several months without seeing her it probably meant the world to him. I'm not going to begrudge someone that quality time they will have with family knowone will.

What I despair of is its like saying I don't care if we win or lose. Its anti aspirational nonsense ofcourse we should care. I don't want to turn up sitting their numb and emotionless I want to be on the edge of my seat I find that's how I switch off from life. I don't want to be sat there getting cold looking at my watch going through the motions that's not what footballs about to me.

Some great debate here- good to read. 

The best idea I’ve read so far- (and it’s compromise for me, because I’d rather completely starve them) is Joe’s idea of a one home game total boycott. To me it’s not to much to ask season ticket holders(if they’re willing) and begins to send a message. Will it mean leave- no. Can we start to generate some publicity- yes. 

What do others think is the best compromise and/or would give us the best chance of getting as many people as possible to join in? 

1 hour ago, Chris15Arm said:

For anyone saying that the football isn't good enough to go and watch then your not a real fan. If you wanna watch good successful football go in to Manchester. Whether its the worst football you've ever seen the past few years shouldn't matter. 1200 fans went to watch bury afc at weekend. In the 10th teir. Because no matter where they are they support the club. If your not going because of money to the owners etc then fine, thats a principle, but don't anyone start saying why do people go to the games for the football, we are shit. We go for the football. Win or lose. We support latics wether we are shit or not. Its in the blood and as much as I get frustrated, upset, angry after games, I still go to the next when I can because I cant quit. If anyone is the same as me but feel strongly enough about the boycott then thats fine. Its for a reason. But for all those labelling us as the 'only go for the football' group, just stop. Everyone has their right to choose wether to go or not but some people on here are making it sound like we go and don't care. Which is out of order. I cant quit however much I try. Doesnt mean I go jus for football coz I dont give a shit about the club

Ok I've had season ticket since 91-92 every year since except a year when I didn't live in the country and last year due to covid. I've more than earned my fan stripes. Let's knock that one on the head right now. If it gets to the point where people like me stop going then you know something is seriously wrong.

What I don't understand is people saying they only go for the football when the football is so bad. Surely nobody who cares about the club can be enjoying watching this.

I don't demand a team that wins I demand a club that tries that simply isn't happening right now.

2 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

Ok I've had season ticket since 91-92 every year since except a year when I didn't live in the country and last year due to covid. I've more than earned my fan stripes. Let's knock that one on the head right now. If it gets to the point where people like me stop going then you know something is seriously wrong.

What I don't understand is people saying they only go for the football when the football is so bad. Surely nobody who cares about the club can be enjoying watching this.

I don't demand a team that wins I demand a club that tries that simply isn't happening right now.

The football hasn’t been great for a long long time.

Ive lost count of the amount of times I’ve walked out at full time saying “never again” then 2 weeks or 3 days later there I am.

For me going to BP is the day really like it is for the away dayers and I don’t mean the 90 minutes, I like getting up and going for breakfast at my favourite cafe

I like driving down and having a brew with my gran, I like the wander up to the ground, the smell of the grass which takes me back to kneeling on the rail in the paddock and vomiting on sky tv against Norwich as a kid (I wasn’t very well) the small talk with the fella next to me and speaking with my Grandad who always think “we’re playing well” 

The getting warm in the car after losing feeling in my feet and listening to the post game chat on the radio from all the games though thats stopped of late 

Before this season I’d not been for over 2 years and I missed it… I hate whats happening to the club but at a time I’ve learnt life really is too short I’m not giving it up again any time soon 

10 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Some great debate here- good to read. 

The best idea I’ve read so far- (and it’s compromise for me, because I’d rather completely starve them) is Joe’s idea of a one home game total boycott. To me it’s not to much to ask season ticket holders(if they’re willing) and begins to send a message. Will it mean leave- no. Can we start to generate some publicity- yes. 

What do others think is the best compromise and/or would give us the best chance of getting as many people as possible to join in? 

Publicity for what though? There isn't a 'cause' for the wider football world to be interested in us at the moment. We will only become news when there is.

30 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

I wasn't having a go I just don't get that line at all. I mean if the younger generation who have never watched any kind of success then maybe I can sort of excuse it. But when you see an older generation who have actually seen successful Oldham teams and great Oldham players coming out with this then I don't get it at all. It must break their hearts watching what we have deteriorated into.

But then coming out with the line I only go for the football well the footballs crap!

Now I went to the Newport game partly out of morbid curiosity. Sat infront of me was an older gentleman with what was probably his granddaughter. Now I'd imagine that's something he's wanted to do for years and after the last 18 months where he may have gone several months without seeing her it probably meant the world to him. I'm not going to begrudge someone that quality time they will have with family knowone will.

What I despair of is its like saying I don't care if we win or lose. Its anti aspirational nonsense ofcourse we should care. I don't want to turn up sitting their numb and emotionless I want to be on the edge of my seat I find that's how I switch off from life. I don't want to be sat there getting cold looking at my watch going through the motions that's not what footballs about to me.

Problem is Glossop, its not up to you or anyone else to say why somebody should go or stay away.

If fans want to go for the football, whether its crap or not,  thats their perogative and right. They don't have to have a reason for attending that proves it's ok to.

As for not wanting to watch crap football in the cold,  I would suggest thats been the majority of my time supporting since 1976.

Yes we're in the worst position in my lifetime but there has been much more bad than good over the years no matter which division we have been in, it never kept me away.

Personally the sooner we stop labelling certain fans the better, we all want the same things. Not all of us fans will act on our demise, as I have said previously.

Live and let live.

2 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Publicity for what though? There isn't a 'cause' for the wider football world to be interested in us at the moment. We will only become news when there is.

The cause IMO is put pressure on them to sell, or force us into admin. It’s got nothing to do the wider football world. . . Very strange comment. 

Bad PR for them is a by product of us taking action. Will it mean they leave? No.  Will cause embarrassment and awkward questions from at the very least local press - possibly. Is it a start- yes.  However it’s just an idea, one I’m willing to explore without shutting down immediately. I notice you love criticising but offer nothing. Which seeing as you worship the great man, should come as no great surprise. 

25 minutes ago, Chaddyexile84 said:

The football hasn’t been great for a long long time.

Ive lost count of the amount of times I’ve walked out at full time saying “never again” then 2 weeks or 3 days later there I am.

For me going to BP is the day really like it is for the away dayers and I don’t mean the 90 minutes, I like getting up and going for breakfast at my favourite cafe

I like driving down and having a brew with my gran, I like the wander up to the ground, the smell of the grass which takes me back to kneeling on the rail in the paddock and vomiting on sky tv against Norwich as a kid (I wasn’t very well) the small talk with the fella next to me and speaking with my Grandad who always think “we’re playing well” 

The getting warm in the car after losing feeling in my feet and listening to the post game chat on the radio from all the games though thats stopped of late 

Before this season I’d not been for over 2 years and I missed it… I hate whats happening to the club but at a time I’ve learnt life really is too short I’m not giving it up again any time soon 

Give it till 5 on Saturday. . 😉

10 minutes ago, League one forever said:

The cause IMO is put pressure on them to sell, or force us into admin. It’s got nothing to do the wider football world. . . Very strange comment. 

Bad PR for them is a by product of us taking action. Will it mean they leave? No.  Will cause embarrassment and awkward questions from at the very least local press - possibly. Is it a start- yes.  However it’s just an idea, one I’m willing to explore without shutting down immediately. I notice you love criticising but offer nothing. Which seeing as you worship the great man, should come as no great surprise. 

Surely the publicity you want is national? The local press seem pretty aware of the current situation.

As I've said for me the focus needs to be attracting new owners rather than worrying about the current one and I don't think staying away from games is the way to do that. Turn up, in big numbers, home and away, week after week, sing your anti Lemsagam songs if you want but show that there is something worth investing in.

We had almost 3000 backing the PTB letter. Some of those folk will have businesses, some will be wealthy, some will be comfortably well off, and some not so, however, if they were all willing to put an average of £500 each into a contingency fund to help finance the purchase of the North Stand, Boundary Park or whatever that would equate to £1.5m giving the Foundation/PTB/FLG a lot more clout & credibility.

Some fans may even want to put their unused season ticket money in….

Before ridiculing this suggestion, let’s just see exactly how many fans would be willing to back us financially.

2 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Surely the publicity you want is national? The local press seem pretty aware of the current situation.

As I've said for me the focus needs to be attracting new owners rather than worrying about the current one and I don't think staying away from games is the way to do that. Turn up, in big numbers, home and away, week after week, sing your anti Lemsagam songs if you want but show that there is something worth investing in.

Its tough because organising either seems quite a task.

Scenario 1, we get 10,000 in to protest, sing anti clown songs, interupt play etc........

This way is funding them but also highlighting there are fans who will turn up. Possible buyers would have their ears pricked at this.

Scenario 2, Boycott home games, attendances under 1000 would probably end up with us being put into admin, risky scenario.

Both scenario's would do something.

Getting large numbers in BP would take some organising but would be great.

Boycotting is probably the easiest route as long as those few who do attend aren't abused in person or online.

Now Matt Deane is on the trust will he still push for boycotts ?

3 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

We had almost 3000 backing the PTB letter. Some of those folk will have businesses, some will be wealthy, some will be comfortably well off, and some not so, however, if they were all willing to put an average of £500 each into a contingency fund to help finance the purchase of the North Stand, Boundary Park or whatever that would equate to £1.5m giving the Foundation/PTB/FLG a lot more clout & credibility.

Some fans may even want to put their unused season ticket money in….

Before ridiculing this suggestion, let’s just see exactly how many fans would be willing to back us financially.

Im not going to ridicule it there may well be many who can make that commitment 

I signed the petition , I am reasonably comfortable month to month - not a chance could I afford to stump up £500 into what would essentially be a black hole 

1 minute ago, Chaddyexile84 said:

Im not going to ridicule it there may well be many who can make that commitment 

I am reasonably comfortable month to month - not a chance could I afford to stump up £500 into what would essentially be a black hole 

OK..that leaves 2999!😆

Archived