MATCH: vs Bristol Rovers (A) 17/08/2021

3 minutes ago, latics22 said:

But they will dish out free tickets and the attendance won’t be the lowest.

Well yes, but then I guess they could do that for every game to make a permanent boycott seem unsuccessful.

That single game would have to be well promoted and we'd have to hope even those on freebies join in with it.

• Replies 464
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Do you think if the status quo continues with the ownership, they will keep us in the league?

Personally I don’t.

So keeping ALMO also means non league IMO. 

So the choice is- watch us slide into non league and just be happy we exist. 

Or 

Push for admin- still go into non league but with renewed hope and leadership. 

Also, let’s be fair here eyrsey. Yes it would need someone to cover loses, certainly to begin with, but we haven’t maximised the match day income for years. With better gates, lower salaries and maximising club income that funding gap could be quite easily narrowed. 

Yes, we are certainly sliding ever closer that way. The thought of non league terrifies me though, it is a different mentality down there, really difficult to get back up.

11 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Yes, we are certainly sliding ever closer that way. The thought of non league terrifies me though, it is a different mentality down there, really difficult to get back up.

100%

I’m not exaggerating here, I could see them taking us to the conference north eventually. The time to do something, anything to make that slide the least painful is now. 

Things are that desperate, we are the turkey voting for Christmas- hoping we get left in the fridge and then resuscitated when the owners sell the property in January. 

3 hours ago, League one forever said:

I’m not exaggerating here, I could see them taking us to the conference north eventually. The time to do something, anything to make that slide the least painful is now. 

I said to the Mrs before the season started, that I think this season will be the last for Oldham in the Football League.

At the time I didn't want to post that on here, as I expected to be called out for being a doom and gloomer.

After seeing the team's performance of the first 3 games, I thought I am going to have to eat my words, but the Bristol game has put me back in my original frame of mind.

The only direction I see for the club with the current owner, is down.

I think currently the fanbase is too small (and fragmented) to make any meaningful change at the club. That does not mean they should not try, just that it is very hard to get something done.

With the club and ground etc split into different ownerships, it makes it difficult for any prospective buyer. I hope there is someone out there that can bring it all together to buy the club and ground. Until then I think we are on the slide down.

I have been an Oldham Athletic fan since I moved into the area in 1965. I feel the club has gone full circle from that time, as we are now in a similar league position to '65. However, this time I feel the off field problems make the situation worst.

Where is that Messiah?

ATM I'd even take a very naughty boy.

8 hours ago, Ex_pat said:

I said to the Mrs before the season started, that I think this season will be the last for Oldham in the Football League.

At the time I didn't want to post that on here, as I expected to be called out for being a doom and gloomer.

After seeing the team's performance of the first 3 games, I thought I am going to have to eat my words, but the Bristol game has put me back in my original frame of mind.

The only direction I see for the club with the current owner, is down.

I think currently the fanbase is too small (and fragmented) to make any meaningful change at the club. That does not mean they should not try, just that it is very hard to get something done.

With the club and ground etc split into different ownerships, it makes it difficult for any prospective buyer. I hope there is someone out there that can bring it all together to buy the club and ground. Until then I think we are on the slide down.

I have been an Oldham Athletic fan since I moved into the area in 1965. I feel the club has gone full circle from that time, as we are now in a similar league position to '65. However, this time I feel the off field problems make the situation worst.

Where is that Messiah?

ATM I'd even take a very naughty boy.

Will the lord do?

The tens of different standpoints and ideas on here shows why there is no pressure for the Lemsagams to leave and we'll continue to sleepwalk into the abyss.

From letting us go into admin, disruptive protest, silent boycott, still attending but only buying one shirt instead of two - all the way to supporting the club regardless. There are fans sat in every camp across the full spectrum.

I am not saying any of those are right or wrong, people should be able to do as they wish without criticism.... but a fractured and fragmented fanbase that not moving largely in the same direction is never going to change anything unfortunately.

PTB have done tireless work to try and bring as many as possible together and I hate to be defeatist and negative, but I can't see us ever being all in the same camp until it's too late.

36 minutes ago, LaticsLegend said:

The tens of different standpoints and ideas on here shows why there is no pressure for the Lemsagams to leave and we'll continue to sleepwalk into the abyss.

From letting us go into admin, disruptive protest, silent boycott, still attending but only buying one shirt instead of two - all the way to supporting the club regardless. There are fans sat in every camp across the full spectrum.

I am not saying any of those are right or wrong, people should be able to do as they wish without criticism.... but a fractured and fragmented fanbase that not moving largely in the same direction is never going to change anything unfortunately.

PTB have done tireless work to try and bring as many as possible together and I hate to be defeatist and negative, but I can't see us ever being all in the same camp until it's too late.

But there has been no definitive stance to say this is happening on this day and promote it, and then see it through.

12 minutes ago, maximus1267 said:

But there has been no definitive stance to say this is happening on this day and promote it, and then see it through.

You are right. Apart from the protest outside the ground a couple of years ago, there’s been no real co-ordinated effort, largely due to COVID of course. 

There are too many people for whom not attending, especially after the last couple of years, is a step too far so for me it has to be something inside of the ground. Whether that be delaying kick offs, tennis balls or just anti-ALMO chants.

I do also think that what Deyres says has some truth to it though. To the outside world, we are just a club which has been crap for decades and continues to be crap. Yes people know we’re not run well but I’m not sure whether enough people are interested in that alone for it to make national news unless something major like disrupting games happens. It’s a really tough one and we’ll never unite everyone but it does feel like we’re at a stage where we either give it a go or give up.

49 minutes ago, south east latic said:

You are right. Apart from the protest outside the ground a couple of years ago, there’s been no real co-ordinated effort, largely due to COVID of course. 

There are too many people for whom not attending, especially after the last couple of years, is a step too far so for me it has to be something inside of the ground. Whether that be delaying kick offs, tennis balls or just anti-ALMO chants.

I do also think that what Deyres says has some truth to it though. To the outside world, we are just a club which has been crap for decades and continues to be crap. Yes people know we’re not run well but I’m not sure whether enough people are interested in that alone for it to make national news unless something major like disrupting games happens. It’s a really tough one and we’ll never unite everyone but it does feel like we’re at a stage where we either give it a go or give up.

Yep We agree about no real co-ordinated plan.

I can't write on here that I have an issue with that because I've done nothing myself to help other than put money into the lottery.

I just feel all these groups working seperately need to come together and beco.e one bigger group, sit down, argue and debate, but at the end all come to one plan or vision. It will take a bit of compramising from all as there will be differing opinions.

But ultimately these seperate groups want a better run club on and off the pitch.

Ones these groups come together and put differences aside and put the club first,  then and only then can they make a solid plan that can involve all fans, those who attend, those who boycott, those who lost interest years ago and the wider public.

Really drive whichever idea with the press, tv, radio, podcasts,  flyers, standing in town centers and city centers, speak to people, become known.

Approach everyone formally invved in the club, ex players, managers, employees, get people on board.

As for nobody caring or being interested. There are still many who remember us during the 80s & 90s with fondness, I have found this up in Cumbria, anyone who knows football, remembers Oldham Athletic.

We differ from Bury and Macc in the sense that we've had recent success, albeit 30 years ago. We were many peoples second team, so we have that in our favour really.

If the crap really is about to hit the fan then I'm sure it would be bigger news than Bury or Macc, without sounding eliteist there.

But yes we can all play a part if we wish, some won't, thats fine and thats reality.

So whatever it is to cause the clowns to look, listen, or bugger off we need to be one and supportive of those who try to make things happen.

2 hours ago, LaticsLegend said:

I keep seeing this about sleep walking and the other favourite-burying heads in sand. 

Yet here we have pages of discussion and many suggestions/proposals by fans about what action to take suggesting exactly the opposite of sleepwalking etc.

2 hours ago, LaticsLegend said:

Well PTB and have been pretty anonymous in the past few days and have made no contribution to the many suggestions made on here recently.

How about asking them some hard questions-similar to the ones being directed at Barry Owen on the other thread?

Are they actively seeking potential investors? They say they are aware of several previous bids-well have they gone back to these bidders and asked what does it require to come back and bid again?

Do they have any inclination of what price is reqd by either/both parties?

Have they tried to get both parties to talk to each other? If not why not?

Are they discussing any action plans involving supporters? If not why not?

Have they been in contact with Barry? If not why not?

12 minutes ago, whittles left foot said:

I keep seeing this about sleep walking and the other favourite-burying heads in sand. 

Yet here we have pages of discussion and many suggestions/proposals by fans about what action to take suggesting exactly the opposite of sleepwalking etc.

Well PTB and have been pretty anonymous in the past few days and have made no contribution to the many suggestions made on here recently.

How about asking them some hard questions-similar to the ones being directed at Barry Owen on the other thread?

Are they actively seeking potential investors? They say they are aware of several previous bids-well have they gone back to these bidders and asked what does it require to come back and bid again?

Good points, was thinking myself they are very quiet.

34 minutes ago, whittles left foot said:

You’re talking as though PTB are paid executives…FFS!!…they are all volunteers with day jobs and families, what do you expect!!!

Give them some slack…they have achieved more in the last 12 months than The Trust have in years!!

1 hour ago, whittles left foot said:

It's not PTBs job to find potential investors that is the job of the Lemsagams and The board of directors the route onto the board of directors is through the Trust, when the trust rep was asked to take the 3000 strong petition prepared by PTB to the owner he bottled it.

Getting in contact with Barry Owen yeah thats a fair question but I'm not sure what he will bring but if he believes he can help well nothing ventured nothing gained.

58 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

You’re talking as though PTB are paid executives…FFS!!…they are all volunteers with day jobs and families, what do you expect!!!

Give them some slack…they have achieved more in the last 12 months than The Trust have in years!!

No I am not. I am talking of a self appointed unifying fans action group that seems to have dropped off the horizon.

Why should they be cut some slack when others (like The Trust) get it in the neck at every opportunity and they operate under the same family/jobs conditions.

This from one of The Trust's critics is a bit rich. 

7 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

It's not PTBs job to find potential investors that is the job of the Lemsagams and The board of directors

What a load of tosh. If you set yourselves up as a fans action group then you are surely expected to explore all avenues as a means of rescuing/saving this football club.

So from your quote above nothing can be done until the owner finds a new investor. Rubbish.

From somebody who's favourite criticism is get your head out of the sand you have just been 'hoisted on your own petard'.

1 minute ago, whittles left foot said:

What a load of tosh. If you set yourselves up as a fans action group then you are surely expected to explore all avenues as a means of rescuing/saving this football club.

So from your quote above nothing can be done until the owner finds a new investor. Rubbish.

From somebody who's favourite criticism is get your head out of the sand you have just been 'hoisted on your own petard'.

:lol:

That's all that post deserves.

Just now, whittles left foot said:

No I am not. I am talking of a self appointed unifying fans action group that seems to have dropped off the horizon.

Why should they be cut some slack when others (like The Trust) get it in the neck at every opportunity and they operate under the same family/jobs conditions.

This from one of The Trust's critics is a bit rich. 

They have far from dropped off the horizon Whittles. They at least are willing to appear on Podcast run by Matt Dean (BPAS) virtually every week and say what is happening and explain their viewpoint. They instigated the Sell up plea to Abdallah and presented it to the club with 3,000 signatures. They spoke with Karl Evans and were advised that Karl had passed it on to Abdallah and that is where it lies, in Abdallah's hands. If Abdallah chooses not to sell for whatever reason, what are they supposed to do about that? 

They met with the MPs of the town and presented them with the issues and as I understand it, Angela Rayner has sent a letter to Abdallah asking for a meet - lies with Abdallah to best of my knowledge (as above)

They liaised with the police and Bradford City about the tickets issue and identified where the problems lay with the club sitting on the tickets rather than putting out to sale (for whatever reason)

They liaised with both Bristol Rovers and Sutton United to see if POTD was an option as no comms coming from club. 

They held an olive branch to the Foundation / Trust to see what could be done jointly, Trust not interested (as far as I am aware, however PTB definitely tried) 

My son is on PTB, he is currently on holiday in Plymouth so not been very active on social media for last 10 days (not sure if he still comes on OWTB). 

They at least are trying to do something to break the impasse that envelopes the club. 

Hopefully the Foundation and its new Board will be a more progressive organisation and may adopt a clearer standpoint on how best to develop both the Foundation and manage the relationship between fans and club     

8 minutes ago, whittles left foot said:

They know that the club has received offers to buy AL's part of the club and that his asking price was way in excess of what was offered. Think the offer was £1.5 million and AL wants £5 million, stand to be corrected on that. 

AL's share in truth is worth substantially less than what the buyer's offer was, AL bought it for £1 and I am advised he has pumped money in but in truth, the business valuation can't have appreciated under his tenure. 

AL wants an unrealistic price for the club, if he chooses to hold out for that then the club really are in jeopardy going forward. 

5 minutes ago, unsworth blue said:

They know that the club has received offers to buy AL's part of the club and that his asking price was way in excess of what was offered. Think the offer was £1.5 million and AL wants £5 million, stand to be corrected on that. 

AL's share in truth is worth substantially less than what the buyer's offer was, AL bought it for £1 and I am advised he has pumped money in but in truth, the business valuation can't have appreciated under his tenure. 

AL wants an unrealistic price for the club, if he chooses to hold out for that then the club really are in jeopardy going forward. 

Any sane businessman would realise that the longer he owns the club, the more he is losing. If he wanted £5m when the offer came in (to get back what he's wasted) then he will want more now, because he's had to put more in. Mo must be convincing him he can turn things around (impossible). If he does manage to sell and get out, there is no guarantee he would sell to people we, or PTB think are suitable. If he walks and forces admin., any potential owner would want the stadium as well. That would depend on Blitz selling at a reasonable price. Admin. would almost certainly put us out of the EFL, unless we could scrape together just enough points to offset relegation. It would all depend on Blitz unfortunately. Didn't Bury have similar problems?

25 minutes ago, al_bro said:

Any sane businessman would realise that the longer he owns the club, the more he is losing. If he wanted £5m when the offer came in (to get back what he's wasted) then he will want more now, because he's had to put more in. Mo must be convincing him he can turn things around (impossible). If he does manage to sell and get out, there is no guarantee he would sell to people we, or PTB think are suitable. If he walks and forces admin., any potential owner would want the stadium as well. That would depend on Blitz selling at a reasonable price. Admin. would almost certainly put us out of the EFL, unless we could scrape together just enough points to offset relegation. It would all depend on Blitz unfortunately. Didn't Bury have similar problems?

No, bury took a massive loan against the ground to fund the dream- that debt got passed from to pillar to post and left them with nothing. 

Our ground is owned by one man. And ad you say he alone will decide( by dictating price) if the club will ever be made hole. 

28 minutes ago, al_bro said:

No guarantees that AL will sell to anyone, let alone anyone who we might believe suitable. 

If he stays, can he turn it round? Strongly suspect not 

He seems to assume that he will receive full reimbursement for what he has put in, think he is being massively over optimistic there, his share of OAFC (the badge and players) is basically worth just what his players would sell for in a fire sale which I would suggest would be lot lower than the £1.5 million offered. 

Any new owner might want to buy Blitz out as well (I hear that is what the bid did include) but could possibly work with Blitz if could not raise funds to buy everything, lock stock and barrel. 

Bury's problems were vastly different, they overspent £2.5 million a year for 4 years and couldn't pay anything eventually. The owner Day walked out and sold to an asset stripper Dale who just fleeced the club, got what he could and still is company owner even though club is basically dead. Day was allowed to borrow against the club's ground (which he did to a fine tune), at least AL has not got that privilege. 

1 hour ago, unsworth blue said:

Have to pick you up on Abdallah bought the club for a £1 that is absolutely not correct and I don't know why it gets thrown out every time people discuss what the club is worth.

Archived