MATCH: vs Leeds United U21 (H) 28/09/21

16 minutes ago, Chris15Arm said:

Every single Leeds player was rapid. Thats the difference. To say we played a crock up front, 3 kids and rested clarke and pierrgianni, I can't say I'm disappointed. Couto needed rest after Saturday so wise to take him off, stobbs only jus back so wise move too. Vaughan and Da Silva unfortunately looked out of their depth against these kids their age. Dkd and whelan showed how your supposed to play but jameson shouldn't be near our team and diarra shouldn't be near defence. Centre mid breaking play up. But like I said, speed won it for them. They nicked the ball so many times with speed. Dont think curle was treating this anythin other than a training session 

Its worrying our loanees hadn't the ability, pace or desire of any of their midfielders.

Of our kids only Couto looked the part.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A brief summary of tonight's game.

The team that started the game looked a more balanced side, with the more experienced players need to take a look at themselves, especially in the 2nd half.

Stobbs out wide looked a threat and should have scored, Cuoto looks promising and made some good runs into the box, the final ball let him down, but he has improved since his debut in the Salford game.

The Leeds players looked stronger and quicker.

The dead ball kicks from our keeper in the second half, aimed at the smallest player on the pitch, sums up the lack of a footballing brain some of our players possess.

I didn't see the DKD goal I left after the 3rd Leeds goal, DKD has some skill, but half the time seems short on how to use it.

This is the worst Latics team I have ever seen.

41 minutes ago, Ritchierich said:

So, in summary, we’re really not very good at football

In summary, it's a competition that we should show our contempt for by scoring two own goals and giving away a penalty.

Our first choice eleven is bottom of the league - we put 7 reserves in tonight who are supposedly inferior. 

Tonight matters not one iota...

4 minutes ago, Hands on said:

As one of the 624 this was a poor display by 10 men -  yes Zac scored but he otherwise ambled about to little effect.  I agree that Bowden continues to disappoint but so does Bettache - why he needs to look round before passing to the closest team mate I do not know.

Sadly, because he does such good things, Jameson remains a liability with a stupid tackle from behind giving them the opening goal.  He can be in one instant the best player on the park and the next the worse.

Disappointed to watch young Harry have a poor game - the Leeds youngsters were quicker and stronger than him.

We are undoubtedly going to finish in the bottom half of league 2.  A win on Saturday will give me some hope that it won't be the bottom 2.

It's a lesson for Vaughan and Da Silva, that they will have to become much sharper. Couto though looks as though he can compete and would have done well in the Leeds team.

1 hour ago, BP1960 said:

Its worrying our loanees hadn't the ability, pace or desire of any of their midfielders.

Of our kids only Couto looked the part.

I can't see a Premier League side loaning a player they have high hopes for to our level 

1 hour ago, Chaddyexile84 said:

both are no where near the quality of McAlmont - the Spurs lad has been particularly disappointing 

...and he scored some crackers, but he was also largely absent in most games. Personally, i liked young Harry's attitude. He didn't always make the right choices, but he really got stuck in, gave 100% every match. These two have given less than 50%. They need to stop being tarts and start getting stuck in. They are lightweight and play at a slow tempo. Time to grow up, boys.

Zac - seems low on fitness and confidence. I still think he's the best forward we've got (there's no actual competition), but he needs to be better man managed, and fit.

Our own kids are still learning. They don't deserve to be criticised. 

4 minutes ago, Emcee_Latic said:

Can't believe Coco and his F**kwit brother gave Diarra and Jameson new contracts just before giving Curle his new contract.

A***holes!

Or took on 2 loanees who look as they aren't interested in playing for us.

• Matt featured this topic

I have only seen the game highlights on YouTube so cannot comment on the full performance. I also listened to Curle give his post match assessment.

What is painfully obvious is that the players still get the basics wrong (poor technique, poor decision making) but the single most worrying thing is the lack of pace and also strength in the tackle.

This factor has been evident from the start of the season - too many are slow to react and lack sharpness both in and out of possession.

A message to Curle:

I think it’s time to play at a higher tempo Keith. Oh and while you’re at it can you work with a number of them on their general fitness please? At this stage of the season there too many patently unfit players in the squad.

27 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

I have only seen the game highlights on YouTube so cannot comment on the full performance. I also listened to Curle give his post match assessment.

What is painfully obvious is that the players still get the basics wrong (poor technique, poor decision making) but the single most worrying thing is the lack of pace and also strength in the tackle.

This factor has been evident from the start of the season - too many are slow to react and lack sharpness both in and out of possession.

A message to Curle:

I think it’s time to play at a higher tempo Keith. Oh and while you’re at it can you work with a number of them on their general fitness please? At this stage of the season there too many patently unfit players in the squad.

Chicken and egg. Sending them out to play at a high tempo with dubious fitness levels may go OK for the first twenty minutes or so.

Almost exactly 30 years ago we lost 3-2 to Everton in the Zenith Data Systems Cup.  To quote the match report (in full) from the OASIS newsletter of the day:

'Well that's that load of old Ratners finished with for another year then'

Plus ca change....

Wasn't McAlmont a slow starter last season? Not sure if my memory is right but I thought it was the 2nd half of the season that he really started to put in some consistently good performances. May be the case with these two loanees too, they may just need more time to get up to speed.

16 hours ago, mcfluff1985 said:

Gets a bad deal. Not that bad of a player. Potential 

You can’t be watching the same player!!….I’ve lost count of the amount of goals his lackadaisical attitude, lack of commitment and general poor play has cost us.
He is truly awful!

3 hours ago, nzlatic said:

Wasn't McAlmont a slow starter last season? Not sure if my memory is right but I thought it was the 2nd half of the season that he really started to put in some consistently good performances. May be the case with these two loanees too, they may just need more time to get up to speed.

Fully agree with you there.  Very lightweight in the early part of the season, easily pushed off the ball.

I think Bettache has done OK so far - at the moment he's playing the safe passes, when sometimes we need him to take a chance on a through ball or shot.  He reminds me a bit of Jack Byrne in how he makes himself available and keeps things moving.

Bowden has faded a bit in his last couple of matches, he seems to drift out if he takes a few tackles.  But as we saw with McCalmont and Whelan, he might need more time to adjust.

We need someone to stick their boot in and win the ball back though, and neither are really that sort of player.  We are missing Cisse for that.

6 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

Chicken and egg. Sending them out to play at a high tempo with dubious fitness levels may go OK for the first twenty minutes or so.

True.
However the problem also applies to our lack of ‘speed of thought’ or awareness of what is around them. Diarra, Hope and DKD are prime examples - often caught in possession or simply beaten to the ball.

Whatever the reason, our apparent fitness levels this season seem way behind most other teams. 

How long does a professional footballer need to get up to peak fitness though?

49 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

True.
However the problem also applies to our lack of ‘speed of thought’ or awareness of what is around them. Diarra, Hope and DKD are prime examples - often caught in possession or simply beaten to the ball.

Whatever the reason, our apparent fitness levels this season seem way behind most other teams. 

Seen none of it so can't comment on specifics but hard to train speed of thought 

1 hour ago, TheBigDog said:

True.

That's why they are in L2.

I've just watched the game. The 1st. half was ok, but he 2nd was poor. Curle said Couto went off with sickness. I hope he's better for Saturday. Vaughn looks quick in L2, but last night none of his tricks worked. He was  constantly getting the ball nicked off him and had a poor game. Jameson and Diarra play some very good passes at times, but far too often let themselves down with what must be a lack of concentration. That passback from Diarra that led to the 3rd. goal was terrible, it only needed a gentle kick, but he he hit far too hard. Unless they learn to concentrate, they really aren't good enough for L2. Dearnley needs game time to get his match fitness back. Mikey said something about him not being as sharp as he was before coxid. I just wonder if he caught it and is suffering from long covid, 

Archived