24 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

I've said there are plenty better out there even within our budget, other clubs will sign them for sure. 

Check who they sign and you will see.

For £800pw for one year max. That's one small pool we're fishing in even if we didn't have the maximum squad size restriction. So to sign one person we'd have to unload about four. Dream on. 

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

For £800pw for one year max. That's one small pool we're fishing in even if we didn't have the maximum squad size restriction. So to sign one person we'd have to unload about four. Dream on. 

We have a couple of assets, looks like Bahamboula will go and bids have already been made Vaughan.

Where that money goes though is another question.

29 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

We have a couple of assets, looks like Bahamboula will go and bids have already been made Vaughan.

Where that money goes though is another question.

The problem is that even if sold and the clowns were willing to put that money into the team

a: we can’t pay transfer fees

b: we can’t pay more than £800 p/w in wages

c. We have a limit on numbers we are at 

the EFL loan needs paying off to remove all 3. We aren’t signing anyone in January IMO 

9 hours ago, Chaddyexile84 said:

The problem is that even if sold and the clowns were willing to put that money into the team

a: we can’t pay transfer fees

b: we can’t pay more than £800 p/w in wages

c. We have a limit on numbers we are at 

the EFL loan needs paying off to remove all 3. We aren’t signing anyone in January IMO 

Remarkably there are people who still don't get this. The limit is 23 plus players who at the start of the season hadn't played a senior game. We are at that limit and because our number is now at 27 (think that's right) with the youths who have started we'd have to offload five players just to be able sign a single new one.  For free, on £800pw max. 

We're not even shopping at Poundland. 

1 hour ago, Dave_Og said:

Remarkably there are people who still don't get this. The limit is 23 plus players who at the start of the season hadn't played a senior game. We are at that limit and because our number is now at 27 (think that's right) with the youths who have started we'd have to offload five players just to be able sign a single new one.  For free, on £800pw max. 

Do you think those at the club have worked that out? History tells us that the previous admin team who had a small amount more experience, got it wrong.

I’m worried those running the show now haven’t got enough experience to run a sandwich shop properly.

2 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

You talk as though £800 a week is nothing.

That's over £40,000 a year for low grade players.

Many play for over 15 years so to say it's a short term career is nonsense and in the context of average wage earners players only work part time.

They need a reality check at clubs like ours.

10 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Many play for over 15 years so to say it's a short term career is nonsense and in the context of average wage earners players only work part time.

Read Dave's last post again

27 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

It is nothing in professional football terms the players. We offer £800 another club offers £1k they are going to follow the money. Yes football is in the grand scheme of things a short career. I'm 38 most players are finished at my age in my chosen career path I'd like to think I haven't reached my peak I certainly can't afford to leave the workforce, yet and if I evolve and adapt I will probably be able to do this for another 25-30 years. Footballers don't have that choice. Yes they can get other jobs but they need to make the most out of these years financially while they can, that's why they will chase the money harder than in other professions.

37 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

It is nothing in professional football terms the players. We offer £800 another club offers £1k they are going to follow the money. Yes football is in the grand scheme of things a short career. I'm 38 most players are finished at my age in my chosen career path I'd like to think I haven't reached my peak I certainly can't afford to leave the workforce, yet and if I evolve and adapt I will probably be able to do this for another 25-30 years. Footballers don't have that choice. Yes they can get other jobs but they need to make the most out of these years financially while they can, that's why they will chase the money harder than in other professions.

After playing most players find work in the real world until they reach retirement age. Some do better than when they were playing.

I know an ex striker who once earned £17k a week basic pay in the prem a few years ago.

He now has a job that pays him approx £40k per year.

He seems happy with his life now but his past football career has built a foundation for his life after football which he is no longer involved.

13 minutes ago, maximus1267 said:

I know an ex striker who once earned £17k a week basic pay in the prem a few years ago.

He seems happy with his life now but his past football career has built a foundation for his life after football which he is no longer involved.

Many would be happy with £40,000 year in real life.

Good to see he realises that.

46 minutes ago, maximus1267 said:

That's good that he has found a good life post football alot of players struggle if your in your early 20's and your earnings obscene amounts of money before you have gained any real wisdom then it's easy to fall into the trap that it will never end. Apparently around 40% of former footballers go bankrupt in retirement which is obscene when you consider many of their career earnings. This isn't me calling for them to be paid more or that they shouldn't get a job post football just highlighting the issue.

Bankrupt former footballers

54 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

That's good that he has found a good life post football alot of players struggle if your in your early 20's and your earnings obscene amounts of money before you have gained any real wisdom then it's easy to fall into the trap that it will never end. Apparently around 40% of former footballers go bankrupt in retirement which is obscene when you consider many of their career earnings. This isn't me calling for them to be paid more or that they shouldn't get a job post football just highlighting the issue.

Bankrupt former footballers

Their naivety is highlighted in a few premiership footballers investing in virtual currency instead of stowing it away safely for their later years. 

It has got a bit off topic now this thread but whilst we are discussing players remuneration, out of interest did anybody watch Robbie Savage & Macc last night?

Bear in mind they are now in the 9th tier of football he mentioned players wages at that level and also that one player wanted free food for his family for a year to sign. He was amazed that most players had an agent at that level.

It was a bit of an eye opener about how much money they had spent to bring the club back (~£4 millilion). 

The other thing that struck me was Savage going into the dressing room at HT dressing down the players whilst the manager (Danny Whitaker ex Latics)just watched meekly.

21 minutes ago, whittles left foot said:

The other thing that struck me was Savage going into the dressing room at HT dressing down the players whilst the manager (Danny Whitaker ex Latics)just watched meekly.

it was a good insight into what it must be like when Mo gets involved - Savage came across as he always has. A bit of a prat. 

The passive aggressive way he spoke to the groundsman who dared say he didn’t agree with it didn’t impress me either 

1 hour ago, whittles left foot said:

I don't agree with it, but there's a bit of a difference between a former international footballer going in and telling some non-league players what they should do and some bloke whose brother's an agent telling professionals how things should be done...

I watched on iFollow yesterday and, no doubt, was as fed up as probably most of you at the inept (mildly put) display, but did I hear Mike correctly on the commentary dissing the tactics, work ethic etc? Culminating in the phrase 'something has to change - and quickly?' 

If he can say it on the commentary, why not ask Keef on the interview WHAT WILL CHANGE? Instead of the usual vanilla flavoured tosh allowing the 'Head Coach' to spout the same crap - he's already lanced the boil, surely? 

1 hour ago, addigitalwebdesign said:

I watched on iFollow yesterday and, no doubt, was as fed up as probably most of you at the inept (mildly put) display, but did I hear Mike correctly on the commentary dissing the tactics, work ethic etc? Culminating in the phrase 'something has to change - and quickly?' 

If he can say it on the commentary, why not ask Keef on the interview WHAT WILL CHANGE? Instead of the usual vanilla flavoured tosh allowing the 'Head Coach' to spout the same crap - he's already lanced the boil, surely? 

The old Chron reporter Jim Williams would have asked him those questions in no uncertain fashion.

But his type have gone now it's all media studies.

7 hours ago, BP1960 said:

You are completely missing my point. 

32 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

The old Chron reporter Jim Williams would have asked him those questions in no uncertain fashion.

But his type have gone now it's all media studies.

This.   Probably also the fact that any 'dissent' is punishable by death er, I mean, a P45.  Without those type of questions ever being asked, how the hell can we a) improve, b) hold people to account when doing a job, yep Keef, I'm looking at you buddy?

2 hours ago, addigitalwebdesign said:

He did ask why Dearnley hadn't started and got the usual crap answer.

To take the two players off who can score a goal out of the blue and keep Hopeless on was ridiculous.

Archived