Pre Season Friendlies

I can understand the scepticism given how turgid the last 4 years in particular have been, but it is only a friendly. 

As I say, we tend to do better after poor pre-seasons. Friendlies are widely regarded by professionals as just going through the motions. I'm not sure why people would go expecting an interesting game, to be honest. 

We've still got a bit of time to get the basics right and unfortunately it doesn't matter if we look weak against a superior (FFS) Mansfield side, as long as we can match our new equals in Torquay and Dorking..

Edited by JoeP

3 minutes ago, JoeP said:

We've still got a bit of time to get the basics right

Brushing off the cobwebs, working on fitness, tactics, and organisation are key during pre season.

They are pro footballers and the basics you talk about should already be there.

The fact that they aren’t is what’s worrying supporters!

24 minutes ago, JoeP said:

I can understand the scepticism given how turgid the last 4 years in particular have been, but it is only a friendly. 

As I say, we tend to do better after poor pre-seasons. Friendlies are widely regarded by professionals as just going through the motions. I'm not sure why people would go expecting an interesting game, to be honest. 

We've still got a bit of time to get the basics right and unfortunately it doesn't matter if we look week against a superior (FFS) Mansfield side, as long as we can match our new equals in Torquay and Dorking..

You miss my point of most of these players don't have even the basic skills and never will.

Why some are still here is a mystery, either the budget is rock bottom or the scouting network is nil and we are relying on agents who will say anything to get poor players off their books.

It's all very well new owners coming in but if they aren't prepared to invest in the team they will meet the same reaction from fans as AL.

Edited by BP1960

33 minutes ago, JoeP said:

We've still got a bit of time to get the basics right and unfortunately it doesn't matter if we look week against a superior (FFS) Mansfield side, as long as we can match our new equals in Torquay and Dorking..

All fair points and I normally share the same view but there is no denying we have carried on where we left off back end of last season, confidence looks rock bottom and many of those players out yesterday are serial losers, you can look at the fixtures as well and we've not helped ourselves playing in games we'll get fuck all from, I did say we'd have a better idea of how we will fair after Fylde away but there's no denying Shez is already on a sticky wicket despite the season not even starting. 

35 minutes ago, JoeP said:

Be honest.

Since appointing Sheridan and the the laughable named coach Wright in January do you (or anybody) see ANY signs that they are capable of identifying players, motivating said players and BUILD a team that can progress?

20 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

we are relying on agents who will say anything to get poor players off their books.

I just can’t imagine Sheridan working under those constraints….perhaps the budget set by the current owners is the problem.

The fact is we’ve still got players in the squad who consistently couldn’t hack it last season in League 2 and the frightening thing is that the top half of the National League is of a similar standard….what does that tell you?

Maybe there will be scope to bring in one or two more of a better standard once the takeover is completed?

I sincerely hope so because we’re absolutely not challenging for a playoff spot with this lot!

1 hour ago, whittles left foot said:

Be honest.

Since appointing Sheridan and the the laughable named coach Wright in January do you (or anybody) see ANY signs that they are capable of identifying players, motivating said players and BUILD a team that can progress?

Identifying players? Not really been given the opportunity. Fondop was on fire for the game he played for us, although Torpey was a mistake and I don't get his persistence with Stobbs. I'll reserve judgement on the summer signings until I see them play competitively. 

Motivating? Absolutely! That shower of absolute shite will have been down well before the Salford game if it wasn't for him. 

Building a team for progress? Again, had limited opportunities so far, but the proof will be in the pudding next season..

If Sheri is going to stay, and the case for that lessens by the week, then he needs to be told to ditch Wright (who shouldn't be working in the sport anyway) and a young progressive coach brought in. If he doesn't like it then shake his hand and thank him for his services.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, hollandspies said:

As the players left the pitch following their warm up, our senior steward gave some instruction / advice to Tommy.

Just before K.O, Tommy spoke with Shez as they walked down the steps to the pitch, and I’m pretty sure he was sharing the stewards comments with him.

Tommy always hangs out at the top of the steps, but regularly commutes between pitch side and the tunnel, up and down, up and down, and so on, all game. 

Today was different, as he had clearly been told to observe from elsewhere. 
He spent most of the game seated with the supporters on the Chaddy side of the main stand lower.

Anyone know what was that all about? 

Latics no longer have a Performance Analysis Unit since they got rid of most of the team as a cost cutting measure - including the unpaid interns.  Maybe the Senior steward is undertaking two roles?

Joking apart, Tommy is probably sitting elsewhere to get a different perspective on the game.  

That said, I do know that Shez isn’t big on team analysis/ scouting the opposition and I suspect that will become obvious as the season wears on.

45 minutes ago, Inspiral_Carpet said:

Latics no longer have a Performance Analysis Unit since they got rid of most of the team as a cost cutting measure - including the unpaid interns.  Maybe the Senior steward is undertaking two roles?

Joking apart, Tommy is probably sitting elsewhere to get a different perspective on the game.  

That said, I do know that Shez isn’t big on team analysis/ scouting the opposition and I suspect that will become obvious as the season wears on.

Any fan could have given a one word analysis of the players performances yesterday and if he cant see what we saw I fear the worst.

Sheridan sat in the stand on Tuesday, does it matter if Wright sat in a certain spot on Saturday ? He was probably told to focus on one of the trialists.

I do think these results are worrying and the lack of goals even more so. Midfield and wingers are shit. Last year we relied so much on Adams to whip in a cross. 

20 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

Sheridan sat in the stand on Tuesday, does it matter if Wright sat in a certain spot on Saturday ? He was probably told to focus on one of the trialists.

I do think these results are worrying and the lack of goals even more so. Midfield and wingers are shit. Last year we relied so much on Adams to whip in a cross. 

You can bet he will do that on Tuesday against us at Radcliffe Borough and Bobby Grant will be eagerly waiting to snap them up. Will be a good test for our defenders.

With regard to the take over, let's be honest at this stage we KNOW not a great deal. We don't know the money men. what we do know is that in the background we appear to have a football family of substance, ie: the Royle family, backing however is putting the money into the takeover to rescue you, me and the rest of the loyal supporters from this utter disaster we are stuck with at present. 

Think about that for a moment. I for one am greatly encouraged that Joe and Co are on board. That tells me that in the future this club will be run in a professional and decent manner. 

At this moment in time, you have to trust that Joe and Co would not be backing anyone who would not be proposing to do the best for the club. You have to trust/accept that Joe and Co have fully bought into whatever the new potential owners are proposing and that they are convinced about the new owners sincerity / plans to raise us out of the mire.

In simple terms, can any of you see Joe and co selling us down the river, and becoming involved in something worse than what we have at present.

This is Joe ( and Co) put your trust in the man that has always had the club and supporters at heart.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, parigby said:

With regard to the take over, let's be honest at this stage we KNOW not a great deal. We don't know the money men. what we do know is that in the background we appear to have a football family of substance, ie: the Royle family, backing however is putting the money into the takeover to rescue you, me and the rest of the loyal supporters from this utter disaster we are stuck with at present. 

Think about that for a moment. I for one am greatly encouraged that Joe and Co are on board. That tells me that in the future this club will be run in a professional and decent manner. 

At this moment in time, you have to trust that Joe and Co would not be backing anyone who would not be proposing to do the best for the club. You have to trust/accept that Joe and Co have fully bought into whatever the new potential owners are proposing and that they are convinced about the new owners sincerity / plans to raise us out of the mire.

In simple terms, can any of you see Joe and co selling us down the river, and becoming involved in something worse than what we have at present.

This is Joe ( and Co) put your trust in the man that has always had the club and supporters at heart.

Wrong thread-and No I cannot.

7 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

We were told this season's budget would be unchanged from last and nothing has been said that changed that. Why anyone thought we'd be competitive on that basis is a mystery. 

Wasn't this "pre takeover" talk Dave? 

I'd be surprised if the new owners whoever they end up being don't invest some money into the playing staff 

1 hour ago, Londonboy said:

Wasn't this "pre takeover" talk Dave? 

I'd be surprised if the new owners whoever they end up being don't invest some money into the playing staff 

It was. But we are still pre takeover and there has been no suggestion that the (hopefully) incoming owners would fund a big budget increase before or after. We were deservedly relegated last season and I think it's more or less accepted fact that the top half of the national league is at least as good as the bottom half of L2.