Pre Season Friendlies

42 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

So you’d be happy to keep him if we spend the whole season below halfway? I certainly won’t be and don’t think Frank will be either!

Sheridan wanted the chance to get us back into the league and he’s got it!!

I don’t usually go or even take any notice of friendly results but it’s the way we are playing which is worrying!

According to several attendees we were once again 2nd best all over the pitch against another side in a lower division.

Of course, it could all fall into place next Saturday but I think it’s unlikely.

We have the feel good factor running right through the club at the moment and need to take advantage of it but on the field where it really matters we are falling well short. 

Sheridan has signed these players, there is no one else to blame!!

We need to hit the ground running because If we start poorly, playing catch up won’t be an option against the quality sides in this division.

These loan players he talks about had better be of real quality because IMO the current squad are nowhere near the required standard!

Yeah happy to keep him in those circumstances.

I want the club to be in a stronger position than we are now in 12 months time. I'd like to think we will see a few players move on and a few come in in that time the squad will look very different come the end of the season to what it does now. The recruitment has been done on the previous owners budget not this owners budget.

Their are many reasons why We've failed in the last 5 years one of them is the revolving door management policy that is something that needs to change. That means sticking with a manager if they have a few bad results.

Edited by GlossopLatic
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

John Sheridan has to be removed now if there is to be any prospect of promotion this season.

I’m not too happy either but that’s a bit drastic at this stage!

Lets see if he can get the right loan players in and then he can be judged.

The good thing is there’s no transfer window so we can sign players if needed right throughout the season.

• Like 1

So shit players signed were all Mo's, never the manager

The few decent ones always came down to the manager, never Mo. 

We wanted new owners who wouldn't sack managers willy nilly

Some now think it's time to be even considering changing manager again

Load said they wanted the club to be self sufficient

They're now talking about all the areas they want money spending including signing better quality players that would fall outside the club being self sufficient 

It was never about anything other than results and people were kidding themselves thinking otherwise.

Bottom half and people will want the manager gone and money spent on better players 

Recruitment has never been Shez' strong point, going off his previous stints here and elsewhere.

Even so, the only circumstance we should be thinking about replacing him is if we are in the relegation zone with a few weeks to play.  We need to try and build a Latics culture and Latics style of play, and that will take time.

We need to improve our scouting though under the new management.  Just taking whatever a couple of agents send our way wasn't working. 

Haughton is hardly news to anyone who even casually follows non-league, and he's exactly the type of player we should have been in for.

17 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

I’m not too happy either but that’s a bit drastic at this stage!

Lets see if he can get the right loan players in and then he can be judged.

The good thing is there’s no transfer window so we can sign players if needed right throughout the season.

Have you got confidence John Sheridan and his staff will find the right loan signings? I certainly don't 

25 minutes ago, fleetwood Blue said:

It might be a little early but i’d be replacing Shez with Graham Alexander, if we want a brand new start and somebody who has promotions and a little success on their cv..

Graham Alexander can fuck right off,  he’s no love for Oldham after his Salford stint. Plus he’s a number one duckle. 

6 minutes ago, SweeperKeeper said:

Recruitment has never been Shez' strong point, going off his previous stints here and elsewhere.

Even so, the only circumstance we should be thinking about replacing him is if we are in the relegation zone with a few weeks to play.  We need to try and build a Latics culture and Latics style of play, and that will take time.

We need to improve our scouting though under the new management.  Just taking whatever a couple of agents send our way wasn't working. 

Haughton is hardly news to anyone who even casually follows non-league, and he's exactly the type of player we should have been in for.

A Latics culture doesn't have to involve John Sheridan. Better to cut the cord now than waste half a season hoping he might get it right 

1 minute ago, deyres42 said:

A Latics culture doesn't have to involve John Sheridan. Better to cut the cord now than waste half a season hoping he might get it right 

His status alone means he should get a crack at this season. 

But I do I think we’ll ultimately do well under him?  Sadly, I don’t. 

1 minute ago, League one forever said:

His status alone means he should get a crack at this season. 

But I do I think we’ll ultimately do well under him?  Sadly, I don’t. 

Sentimental decisions are rarely the right ones. I'd hate to see fans turn on Sheridan but it would happen because he's no good. Make the decision now and make it a proper clean slate.

1 hour ago, daniel said:

As has been mentioned already their number 10 absolutely head and shoulders above any of our lot today. Unsure what it’d take to get him but we are crying out for a player like that who offers something going forward. Still think we’ll be Ok defensively, although Hogan at fault for their 1st messing about, can’t be doing that. Ridiculous from the ref too, does he miss next week for that anyone know? 
Seen 4 of the pre-season games and haven’t been too impressed, said it a few times now but we are piss poor in midfield, especially on the wings. 
Pre-season done, and i’ve seen us have really good pre-seasons and then crap come the 1st game, so not getting too carried away. One thing I will say though, is that the fans won’t put up with that crap for too long, and Shez will soon be under pressure to deliver. 

It was Gardner at fault for the first, trying to be a bit cute in a dangerous position, still think he looks in good form though.

1 hour ago, daniel said:

As has been mentioned already their number 10 absolutely head and shoulders above any of our lot today. Unsure what it’d take to get him but we are crying out for a player like that who offers something going forward. Still think we’ll be Ok defensively, although Hogan at fault for their 1st messing about, can’t be doing that. Ridiculous from the ref too, does he miss next week for that anyone know? 
Seen 4 of the pre-season games and haven’t been too impressed, said it a few times now but we are piss poor in midfield, especially on the wings. 
Pre-season done, and i’ve seen us have really good pre-seasons and then crap come the 1st game, so not getting too carried away. One thing I will say though, is that the fans won’t put up with that crap for too long, and Shez will soon be under pressure to deliver. 

It was Gardner at fault for the first, trying to be a bit cute in a dangerous position, still think he looks in good form though.

13 minutes ago, SweeperKeeper said:

The problem as I see it is there's no build up as most of the players can't pass a ball to a colleague or bother to support each other.

To persist with Hope and Stobbs wide and no creative midfielder tells. me the recruitment has been very poor.

Only Hogan and Gardner (and he was sloppy when defending today) are good enough IMO.

1 hour ago, BP1960 said:

When a player from the league below was far superior to what we have it shows Shez's recruitment has been poor.

The season hasn’t even started ! It’s a warm up match. Time will tell if we are gonna be any good. I’m hopeful more quality additions will be made. Shez has ajways had an eye for a good player imo. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, yarddog73 said:

He was and tried to be too clever, taken to the cleaners by Haughton.

Problem is he's no midfield partner as Sheron was poor as was Cooper. Many will wish now Whelan had been retained.

8 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Sentimental decisions are rarely the right ones. I'd hate to see fans turn on Sheridan but it would happen because he's no good. Make the decision now and make it a proper clean slate.

If it isn't working  Shez will make the call himself, his love of the club won't blinker him. 

For what it’s worth from today, my take… thought we lacked a decent RW, CF, CB to partner Hogan and RB. Our tempo is so slow and lacks any intensity to advance up the field. Think this is more about the quality of players involved rather than it not being drilled into them.

Think Tollitt would be good coming in from the left as he has pace and clearly got an eye for goal as Hope and Stobbs were non existent. Burgess should be starting, tempo and quality on the ball increased when he started demanding the ball and we also need two up front, at present without two up top I struggle to see where the goals are coming from. Fondop apart from tussling there was very little from him in terms of quality and looked way off fitness. Luamba looked lively needs a goal to kick on but he put effort in. 
New lad Cooper looked the type of player we are missing who will kick people but also get involved with the play slightly sloppy with his play but he is still young. 

Hopefully shez can bring in some quality loans to bolster the squad as it’s needed. Torquay here we come! 

Edited by adamoafc
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, simplythemostimportantkick said:

The season hasn’t even started ! It’s a warm up match. Time will tell if we are gonna be any good. I’m hopeful more quality additions will be made. Shez has ajways had an eye for a good player imo. 

I'm telling you now half this squad aren't good enough for the league below, and he's recruited a few of them.

Having said that I've seen poor results turned round quickly so I'm going for a slutchy 1-0 win at Torquay.

Edited by BP1960