Pre Season Friendlies

14 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Sentimental decisions are rarely the right ones. I'd hate to see fans turn on Sheridan but it would happen because he's no good. Make the decision now and make it a proper clean slate.

I’m not disagreeing with your logic, (which makes a nice change😉) but your point is largely moot because there is no way the club will get rid of him. 

2 minutes ago, Chaddyexile84 said:

I've seen enough of Callum Whelan to know I never want him anywhere near an Oldham Athletic first team ever again

I'd take you over him 

If you approve apart from Gardner the rest of the midfield signings I'll book you an appointment with a GP.

Edited by BP1960

Just now, BP1960 said:

If you approve apart from Gardner the rest of the midfield signings I'll book you an appointment with a GP.

Whelan was announced MOTM in our horrendous 0-0 draw with Rochdale last season and as it was announced the ball bounced off his shin and out for a throw which a 9 year old would be embarrassed about.

We could have signed Big Mo from Eastenders and I wouldn't be sorry at letting that guy go 

12 minutes ago, League one forever said:

I’m not disagreeing with your logic, (which makes a nice change😉) but your point is largely moot because there is no way the club will get rid of him. 

It would be a shame to waste a season because someone can't make the right decision. But yes, I fear you are right.

We looked unorganised and was easily outplayed by a team from the conference north, it’s

a week away from the season opener and there is no chance we are going to bring in another 3/4 players that we need before then and throw them straight in..

Unfortunately we have a lot of players in that squad that arent up to scratch and that seems harsh saying that as we’re only in preseason but we look poor..

I wonder what Joe Royle thought watching that standard of player in an Oldham shirt..

Roll on Torquay next week

8 minutes ago, Gaz_Oafc said:

Over to you Frankie boy,

Loosen the purse strings for 3 or 4 decent signings and we'll all be on board HMS piss the league.

P.s... Sheridan's blue white army ❤️

What purse strings? He's obviously not coming in to waste cash so with the protest and boycott reducing ST sales and money in there won't be cash to spend.

Need a big uptake on ST sales Monday and  then maybe there might be some

9 minutes ago, fleetwood Blue said:

I wonder what Joe Royle thought watching that standard of player in an Oldham shirt..

Roll on Torquay next week

I saw an interview with Joe Royle yesterday where he said, and I quote….

”John Sheridan is an experienced manager and he knows what he’s doing”

We have a coach at the club who I idolised growing up, probably one of the most devastating wingers of his time, what does he see in Jack Stobbs? That goes for Joe in the stands he brought in some donkies in his time but he soon worked it out and moved them on, is it just a body till we bring someone in? Every pass he makes goes backwards if not inside to a centre half, he can't beat a man, won't risk taking one on and scores precious few, I'm sorry for signalling him out but he's just not kicked on and isnt good enough, it's as simple as that really.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

I may well be wrong but I don’t recall any comments from Sheridan so far about any of this seasons friendly matches….am I correct?

Any interview would be bleeped throughout.

1 hour ago, SweeperKeeper said:

Recruitment has never been Shez' strong point, going off his previous stints here and elsewhere.

Even so, the only circumstance we should be thinking about replacing him is if we are in the relegation zone with a few weeks to play.  We need to try and build a Latics culture and Latics style of play, and that will take time.

So how you gonna do that if he is hopeless at signing players on your own admission?

And those circumstances you mention are exactly what happened last year-and look where we are now.

17 minutes ago, whittles left foot said:

So how you gonna do that if he is hopeless at signing players on your own admission?

I think he needs help with recruitment.

Doesn't necessarily have to be a 'Director of Football', but if we are really trying to make a new long-term start then we need a new long-term appointment in charge of identifying and signing talent.

34 minutes ago, mcfluff1985 said:

What purse strings? He's obviously not coming in to waste cash so with the protest and boycott reducing ST sales and money in there won't be cash to spend.

Need a big uptake on ST sales Monday and  then maybe there might be some

You don't chuck £12m down the drain and not be able to find a couple of extra quid for a few decent signings, I don't care who you are! 

And he knows full well they'll be an uptake in season tickets and match day revenue...

Super, super Frank

Super Frankie Rothwell ❤️

6 minutes ago, SweeperKeeper said:

Doesn't necessarily have to be a 'Director of Football', but if we are really trying to make a new long-term start then we need a new long-term appointment in charge of identifying and signing talent.

His recruitment seemed pretty fine in both January 2016 and January 2017 would you not agree?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, deyres42 said:

Why would he comment, it has basically been a shambles...

Given that “Everybody was trying to force the club under until two days ago”.. maybe Shez is due more than a pre-season with this squad eh? 🙄🥱

3 minutes ago, latics22 said:

Calm down, shez will sort it. Top of the league by September no worries.

I honestly can't see how anyone can sort this lot out, our only hope is if the opposition are worse, and that's a long shot.

37 minutes ago, SweeperKeeper said:

I sent a recommendation about a youth in the Conference North.. no reply, now a top Premiership club have been in touch with me about him.

Edited by BP1960