Sheridan out

35 minutes ago, Only Blue said:

Under our new ownership yes I do think they would get this leeway. I think Frank is the type to give anyone a fair chance, which equates to time.

I am not looking at any other previous situations because each one is different from the next. I am only looking forward now and was hoping everyone else (for now) would do the same.

To raise a point made by you and several other posters.

"Frank will give him a chance etc".

Isn't the club now run by a board and so such decisions would not be made solely by Frank?  It may arise that he is out voted by the other members?

• Replies 640
  • Created
  • Last Reply
32 minutes ago, Only Blue said:

Do you need a gun to the head for this? He stayed because he wants to help Oldham Athletic. He probably had a plan to sign certain players. He is not going to walk away just because he didn't get them all.

He can't say "what I have is not good enough" as there would be massive outrage. He has to say it's fine just to reassure us, but I am surprised if anyone fully believed that.

Other than Maher who else has he missed out on? And he is more than happy to throw players under the bus, he does it regularly...

33 minutes ago, whittles left foot said:

Isn't the club now run by a board and so such decisions would not be made solely by Frank?  It may arise that he is out voted by the other members?

Yes for simplicity I said Frank, but you are right it will be a board decision. I do think though that the character of the board is very much in line with Frank's but as he seems to be the figurehead and the (crazy) spokesperson at the moment we all do just say Frank.

36 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Other than Maher who else has he missed out on? And he is more than happy to throw players under the bus, he does it regularly...

I reckon there would be loads of enquiries that ended abruptly once they were told what wages the previous owners were prepared to pay. Not based on anything concrete just my thought. The better players that Sheridan would have wanted first I think would have been out of his price range, so he has looked lower down the pecking order. You can't seriously think these are his first choice marquee signings?

1 hour ago, Only Blue said:

I reckon there would be loads of enquiries that ended abruptly once they were told what wages the previous owners were prepared to pay. Not based on anything concrete just my thought. The better players that Sheridan would have wanted first I think would have been out of his price range, so he has looked lower down the pecking order. You can't seriously think these are his first choice marquee signings?

I know for a fact that Hogan and Porter were the two he wanted before anyone else...

2 hours ago, whittles left foot said:

That's really not how boards work.  As my old  boss,  a tough New Yorker, was fond of saying. 'It ain't a fuckin democracy'.  I've no idea how this board works but I'll guarantee it isn't one man, one vote. 

44 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

I know for a fact that Hogan and Porter were the two he wanted before anyone else...

I was just keeping it in general and not dealing in absolutes of every signing or no signings. I would have thought he would get a couple of his targets but I still think the vast majority of the other 20 odd players he wouldn't ideally want.

17 minutes ago, Only Blue said:

I was just keeping it in general and not dealing in absolutes of every signing or no signings. I would have thought he would get a couple of his targets but I still think the vast majority of the other 20 odd players he wouldn't ideally want.

Going off Sheridan's comments he and the club aren't finding it easy bringing in loan players currently. 

22 minutes ago, Clifford said:

Why ?  must have over £500k of unexpected money in from STs, kits POTD etc.

Erm.... because we are non-league perhaps?

Lots of players would rather ply their trade in a "proper league". Sad fact of life at the moment.

5 minutes ago, Lags said:

Frank Rothwell owns Latics not Jim Ratcliffe. 

So he, just like AL after his 1st season isn't going to put his own money in to boost the transfer budget? Or even just use the extra cash from unbudgeted increased income? 

He'll lose even more if we are still in the poverty leagues next season.

4 minutes ago, wiseowl said:

Lots of players would rather ply their trade in a "proper league". Sad fact of life at the moment.

Other sides have done good business. Money talks and we have a bit of it about and need to take advantage. 

13 minutes ago, wiseowl said:

There must be quite a few in the National League who would jump at the chance to come and play for us. We've already seen a few in the 3 games played so far who are worth a punt. Not sure young EFL loanees would be any better at this level.

12 minutes ago, Clifford said:

So he, just like AL after his 1st season isn't going to put his own money in to boost the transfer budget? Or even just use the extra cash from unbudgeted increased income? 

He'll lose even more if we are still in the poverty leagues next season.

Let's see which players we tempt and clubs willing to send the players.  We can't afford just numbers, they have to be starters.

I don't understand this fixation with bringing in players who League clubs don't want, I've seen half a dozen players at our level or below in half a dozen games this season that would seriously improve us, you can't tell me we are not an attractive proposition for someone who plays in front of 1000 fans at Fylde or Dorking each week? We might have to pay a transfer fee for some but surely that's something we are now in a position to do, if we get 7000+ fans for home games surely that puts us in a much stronger financial position than 90% of teams in the League, I'm not just talking season ticket sales commercially the club has had it's best ever month or two yet we can't attract one player through the door, sorry but I'm not having it.

9 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

I don't understand this fixation with bringing in players who League clubs don't want, I've seen half a dozen players at our level or below in half a dozen games this season that would seriously improve us, you can't tell me we are not an attractive proposition for someone who plays in front of 1000 fans at Fylde or Dorking each week? We might have to pay a transfer fee for some but surely that's something we are now in a position to do, if we get 7000+ fans for home games surely that puts us in a much stronger financial position than 90% of teams in the League, I'm not just talking season ticket sales commercially the club has had it's best ever month or two yet we can't attract one player through the door, sorry but I'm not having it.

If only we got another Baxter type first time round. 

10 minutes ago, Lags said:

That is the type we should be looking at, young, hungry to prove a point with a need to be wanted. I'm fucked if I know how you find these players but there are people and scouts who know far more than me  about these things. 

5 minutes ago, disjointed said:

That is the type we should be looking at, young, hungry to prove a point with a need to be wanted. I'm fucked if I know how you find these players but there are people and scouts who know far more than me  about these things. 

We are probably not even looking and I'd suggest we are going off recommendations or players Shez has worked with.

100% Shez knows what the problems are.  With the money restrictions he was under, (and surely he was aware we were nearly going bust under AL) I’m guessing he was brought in players who should be better then most in our present league. The problem is getting the present lot to go out on the pitch and BE better then the hungry players who still want recognition and success.

I’m not sure Shez can do it. His players have to be self motivating and able to take some harsh criticism and respond by being better, not sulking.  This lot aren’t.  Some aren’t able to keep lifting their game to better the player they are against on the pitch. ( One of Big Joe’s favourite ways of motivating “win your personal battle, if enough of us do that we win the game”). 

I just hope Shez can keep enough of this squad on his side.

31 minutes ago, Lags said:

Have him back this time round. Playing a Shez role circa '98. Not leaving the centre circle and spreading the ball about effortlessly.

For that alone he deserves more time.

I was a bit sad when he stayed on. He was the best man to give us half a chance of staying up and it was a no-risk appointment. I was never convinced it'd end well going into this season. That said, he deserves a chance and I'm sure it won't come to him being pushed. It's fine to question any manager's credibility and debating on here is fair... I just hope it doesn't ever come to chants and, if it does get worse, it'd be shit if he was disrespected. As much as I wanted us to piss it, I'm happy for this season just to stabilise. 

All about the nostalgia and I'd hate to see him get shit. Regardless of results. If after another 15 games there's been no improvement, he'll be given the chance to walk, head held high. 

Archived