Sheridan out

1 minute ago, BP1960 said:

Sorry. but I saw even in the pre season games there were no recognisable tactics, closing down, or off the ball movement among the players, its the same now and I cant see anything different in future games.  I have a feeling he knows he can't do anymore and gracefully retire before he's  dismissed.  A new manager with a fresh approach is what's needed IMO before disillusioned fans drift away in their thousands.

These things can change quick. As in most things confidence is key.

So he's not one for micromanaging the team, he wants them to keep it simple, play 2 touch and make good decisions. Perhaps this is a fresh approach to some of these players. It makes for a good blueprint if it clicks.

I reckon sooner or later we'll hammer someone and win a few on the spin.

• Replies 640
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Can Neil Redfearn Do It said:

So he's not one for micromanaging the team, he wants them to keep it simple, play 2 touch and make good decisions. Perhaps this is a fresh approach to some of these players. It makes for a good blueprint if it clicks.

I love your optimism, but at the moment we are quite a long way from clicking as a team. 

5 minutes ago, Can Neil Redfearn Do It said:

I think you are kidding yourself.

He's not "micromanaging" the team, he's not really even managing it, is he?

5 minutes ago, Can Neil Redfearn Do It said:

Have you watched his post match  interview? 

Sorry- but’s It’s embarrassing. 

I pick the team, but the players have to make decisions on the pitch.  The game is quick and I can’t do it for them. 

Translated-

We don’t do any work on tactics, so I want the players to just play and figure it out as they go. When they don’t know what they’re doing.  I get frustrated and can’t communicate what I want so I just shout- I can’t do it for you. 

35 minutes ago, Fervid said:

A man who refuses to sign a striker where it’s clear as day we have absolutely nowt up front is a criminal offence in my eyes. 

Up front is definitely not our biggest issue. Thinking we're shit up front because when the ball gets lumped up we don't score 5 is a poor view. Midfield is 100% the area we struggle. That's because of the players and tactics 

6 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Have you watched his post match  interview? 

Sorry- but’s It’s embarrassing. 

I pick the team, but the players have to make decisions on the pitch.  The game is quick and I can’t do it for them. 

Translated-

We don’t do any work on tactics, so I want the players to just play and figure it out as they go. When they don’t know what they’re doing.  I get frustrated and can’t communicate what I want so I just shout- I can’t do it for you. 

I actually agree with him in the sense of players making decisions and working it out in play but you still need that information and work landing pre match and someone on the touchline who can read the game.

4 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

I actually agree with him in the sense of players making decisions and working it out in play but you still need that information and work landing pre match and someone on the touchline who can read the game.

You can’t have one without the other.

They should be making decisions based on tactics, the players can’t make a decision because they don’t know what they’re doing. They don’t know what they’re doing because Shez is leaving it up to them, then blaming them for not making decisions. 

I've not read through the whole thread yet so I apologise if this has already been said but the way I see this is.. FR and Family will be solely running the business side of the club, the hiring and firing of managers will fall in the hands of The Royles and they'll be looking at everything from the start of the season not last season I really don't want to be  "shez out" lad but I don't think he's the manager to get us promoted however to the royles this is match day 7 and they ain't sacking him anytime soon IMHO

23 minutes ago, mcfluff1985 said:

Up front is definitely not our biggest issue. Thinking we're shit up front because when the ball gets lumped up we don't score 5 is a poor view. Midfield is 100% the area we struggle. That's because of the players and tactics 

Are you for real, you could have the best midfielders in the league in there and the current crop of Fondop, Porter  and Junior wouldn’t hit 5 goals between them. 

34 minutes ago, Fervid said:

Are you for real, you could have the best midfielders in the league in there and the current crop of Fondop, Porter  and Junior wouldn’t hit 5 goals between them. 

Notice you left out Hope purposely. 

We've got the worst midfield in the league. Service for the strikers has been shite on the whole

18 minutes ago, mcfluff1985 said:

Notice you left out Hope purposely. 

We've got the worst midfield in the league. Service for the strikers has been shite on the whole

At the end of the day no matter what spin you try and put on it, it’s a results business and Shez’s record is shocking. It wouldn’t take much to fix but he seems stuck in the past when it comes to tactics and motivation. On paper these guys should be performing much better but their not. 

So the question is why? 

1 minute ago, Fervid said:

At the end of the day no matter what spin you try and put on it, it’s a results business and Shez’s record is shocking. It wouldn’t take much to fix but he seems stuck in the past when it comes to tactics and motivation. On paper these guys should be performing much better but their not. 

So the question is why? 

I don't think we're in disagreement about the position we're in, just why. Tactics are awful. 

We're not producing in midfield though. Not creating enough chances and not stopping them getting through

1 minute ago, Londonboy said:

If Boreham Wood beat us next Saturday...which is likely... they will be 9 points ahead if us after 9 games...... 

This is a team who get less than 2000 fans watching them.

Says it all really about how much we are underperforming this season 

In fact in their last home game v Altrincham they got 807 FFS

Given Rothwell's comments when he bought the club, they'd look pretty silly sacking him. 

However, I know for a cast iron fact that they've spoken to another manager about whether or not they'd be interested in coming here. 

Hopefully John will do the honourable thing and retire to the sun...

34 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

Given Rothwell's comments when he bought the club, they'd look pretty silly sacking him. 

However, I know for a cast iron fact that they've spoken to another manager about whether or not they'd be interested in coming here. 

Its the performances I'm concerned about, if there was some good passing and movement there'd be some hope of improvement, but the theres nothing I've seen in pre season or now to see any change with this management.

The  fans deserve better than this.

4 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Its the performances I'm concerned about, if there was some good passing and movement there'd be some hope of improvement, but the theres nothing I've seen in pre season or now to see any change with this management.

The  fans deserve better than this.

Yep, I agree. I always use Sheridan in 2006 as an example of this. We lost the first few but could see we were heading in the right direction...

9 hours ago, Londonboy said:

If Boreham Wood beat us next Saturday...which is likely... they will be 9 points ahead if us after 9 games...... 

This is a team who get less than 2000 fans watching them.

Says it all really about how much we are underperforming this season 

Think we had a bigger crowd yesterday than the bottom six gates combined in the NL yesterday, if we can't put out a competitive team under those circumstances then something's very wrong.

1 hour ago, Lee Sinnott said:

Eastleigh at home 17th September, let's celebrate John's career and move on to the next chapter of building the club back up to where it belongs. No hard feelings proper goodbye, always welcome back as a legend of the club. 

59 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

If that’s true then the writing is on the wall for Shez. I think Joe & Darren may even have already made Sheridan aware of their feelings.

After a full pre season and 7 games in I see no progress whatsoever. We have been clearly 2nd best in every game and IMO haven’t really deserved the two wins to date.

We’ve had bad luck with injuries but that’s just part and parcel of the game.  

We look disjointed, rudderless, and boringly predictable, and along with the coaching staff the team look devoid of ideas and completely incapable of stepping up!

I don’t think there’s anyway Shez will be sacked but he can’t be enjoying this at all and in his post match interviews he’s looking very down.

A new manager is not a guarantee of success but if we are building for the future I don’t see how the current coaching staff fit into that model.

I think a mutual consent announcement may not too be too far away and may be best for all concerned.

Are they any good? That's the question.

Agree we likely would benefit from a change and to plan for the future, however it can't be a knee jerk appointment and needs to be the right man for the medium/long term.

Yep, I agree. I always use Sheridan in 2006 as an example of this. We lost the first few but could see we were heading in the right direction...

What's happened to him? We played some amazing football that season, now he's a negative pragmatist who's more concerned about not losing than winning. Obviously he had much better players at that point but his whole philosophy has changed

I am sure all the posters putting forward names who they believe will deliver for us have given it a lot of thought and homework into it, but we don't have any possibility of accountability. Only two managers will ultimately succeed this season and the rest will fail. 

What will constitute success or failure for the new man when he's installed?.  How long before we say we got it wrong. One thing's for sure, all those putting names forward have a greater chance of getting it wrong than right. 

Archived