BPAS PODCAST: 5th Sept '22, S3E5: Reality Check

It seems like the whole town has been going through Frankie Fever this last few weeks, but is it now time for a little reality check?

To support the pod by paying a monthly subscription of just £2.99 via this link https://anchor.fm/bp-alert/subscribe. All the regular episodes will remain free to everyone. You can now also listen to the Latics Football Phone In as a podcast every Thursday morning from 7am.

You can also support us by visiting https://www.oafcpodcast.co.uk, subscribing to our mailing list and purchasing from our online shop.

Follow the show on Twitter, Instagram & Facebook @oafcpodcast. Please subscribe to our YouTube channel here

Download and listen to the podcast via the FanHub app, where content creators and fans alike are rewarded for getting involved #ctg.

You can find out more about Push The Boundary by visiting them at www.pushtheboundary.co.uk and following on Twitter @PTB_OAFC. Find out more about OASF at www.oasf.co.uk where you can also donate to the 1895 Fund.

Title music is by Manchester DJ and producer Starion find out more at www.redlaserrecords.bandcamp.com

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another good listen.

Some of the parallels with my own club are very striking. We saw infrastructure crumble under sustained neglect and the club's lousy reputation inhibiting recruitment. Three years on, the club are still trying to deal with some aspects of what they inherited and we have several dozen volunteer fans who find plenty to do on the club's physical estate even now. If your core team handling this is small it WILL take time and hoover up managerial capacity.

Rising ambition in the boardroom is obviously a great thing. But it does create work, raise expectations and - ultimately - ratchet up pressure. I think some unconditional love from fans does go a long way here, but you'll never get everyone to see it that way. 

I think the risk levels remain very, very high. August was your big chance to take points against some of the League's (so-called) lesser lights, and it hasn't really come off (albeit these things are all relative). The next two months look a fair bit harder to me, though I'm hardly an expert.

I suppose the sixty four million dollar question for you all is the future of the manager. On the one hand you have sentiment and the need for continuity. On the other side, his recent record is poor, and many of you are worried about the lack of any plan.  Southend had this with Phil Brown last season. They decided to make a change  just before Christmas. I don't envy the person who has to make that call. 

2 minutes ago, basilrobbie said:

I suppose the sixty four million dollar question for you all is the future of the manager. On the one hand you have sentiment and the need for continuity. On the other side, his recent record is poor, and many of you are worried about the lack of any plan.  Southend had this with Phil Brown last season. They decided to make a change  just before Christmas. I don't envy the person who has to make that call. 

They sacked him in October and I don't think our manager will be far off the same date...

10 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

Think we will only start to see progress and a plan once further investors are on board this is what the Rothwells are looking for. Rumour was that some potential investors were at the game km Saturday.

If they want new investors, I suggest they give them half an hour in the ground before kick off, let them listen to the athleticos and the support, then whisk them off somewhere for a meal before the game starts. 

8 hours ago, BPAS said:

It seems like the whole town has been going through Frankie Fever this last few weeks, but is it now time for a little reality check?

To support the pod by paying a monthly subscription of just £2.99 via this link https://anchor.fm/bp-alert/subscribe. All the regular episodes will remain free to everyone. You can now also listen to the Latics Football Phone In as a podcast every Thursday morning from 7am.

You can also support us by visiting https://www.oafcpodcast.co.uk, subscribing to our mailing list and purchasing from our online shop.

Follow the show on Twitter, Instagram & Facebook @oafcpodcast. Please subscribe to our YouTube channel here

Download and listen to the podcast via the FanHub app, where content creators and fans alike are rewarded for getting involved #ctg.

You can find out more about Push The Boundary by visiting them at www.pushtheboundary.co.uk and following on Twitter @PTB_OAFC. Find out more about OASF at www.oasf.co.uk where you can also donate to the 1895 Fund.

Title music is by Manchester DJ and producer Starion find out more at www.redlaserrecords.bandcamp.com

Good listen fellas. 

I have to say though, it’s highly contradictory in places. You’re stating the need to be patient and remember a difficult summer. Then in the same breath you’re saying we can’t see a game plan, the performances are repetitive, we don’t play our own youths players, 3-5-2 isn’t working- all of all which is true. 

Matt said- people say we should be doing better, based on what. 

Well, based on- 

What does the summer have to do with, 

Sticking with formations that don’t work. 

Not playing our own youth players. 

The defensive set up/don’t lose mentality. 

The performances being largely abject, until they get a rocket and play well for 15 minutes. 

Shez saying he takes responsibility, and 30 seconds later laying in to the players saying he can’t do it for them and they need to make decisions for themselves. 

I keep hearing excuses for why he’s finding it tough. So let’s take the summer and be kind- he hasn’t got the budget to get who wants.  (He can still sign a hefty number - 13 so far including loans) Isn’t it his job then to make us more than the some of our parts and build a really good team mentality? Instead the players look lost, and we have no fire in our belly. So either the players are not listening, or they’re don’t know what they should be doing. - that has nothing to do the summer. 

He’s had to give contacts where he otherwise might not have done. Fine, he’s since brought in lots of players and they’re numerous examples where he doesn’t have to stick with squad fillers, but he chooses to do so. 
That has nothing to do with the summer. 

Andy said - he hates the chopping and changing and wants a manger to be given 3 or 4 years. I agree in part-  But continuity must come with some form of gradual improvement (however small) for it to be justifiable. We aren’t improving, we’re stagnant- and we can’t just ignore what is staring us in the face in the hope it might come good one day. Or by conflating off the field issues with the day to day nub of management. 

1 hour ago, League one forever said:

Good listen fellas, I have to say though, it’s highly contradictory in places.....

Hi Chris,

I take your point..... however I guess like many, we're grappling with the need for stability... but with the right person. We all want that person to be Shez, but if it isn't then the experts on the board need to make their voices heard. Either way, we want to balance the best for the club with respect for John Sheridan.

Andy

• Matt featured this topic
4 hours ago, League one forever said:

3-5-2 isn’t working....

It wasn't 3-5-2 on Saturday was it?

Sure they warmed up as a back 4 and played that formation. It's the midfield where I'm not sure who's playing where apart from Wellens who was right side (think he's going to play centre mid though).

35 minutes ago, mick26 said:

It wasn't 3-5-2 on Saturday was it?

Sure they warmed up as a back 4 and played that formation. It's the midfield where I'm not sure who's playing where apart from Wellens who was right side (think he's going to play centre mid though).

We played 3-5-2 up until wellens went off then went to 4-4-2 

Just now, GlossopLatic said:

We played 3-5-2 up until wellens went off then went to 4-4-2 

So why in the warm up did a back 4 of Clarke, Stoke lad, Sheron and Roberts go through their drills?

(I must stop watching games through my fingers with my hands covering my eyes!!!).

3 hours ago, BPAS said:

Hi Chris,

I take your point..... however I guess like many, we're grappling with the need for stability... but with the right person. We all want that person to be Shez, but if it isn't then the experts on the board need to make their voices heard. Either way, we want to balance the best for the club with respect for John Sheridan.

Andy

Hi Andy,

Hope you’re well mate. 

Yeah fair comment. I sometimes get sucked into the debate without thinking about the balance the pod must bring. 

15 minutes ago, mick26 said:

So why in the warm up did a back 4 of Clarke, Stoke lad, Sheron and Roberts go through their drills?

(I must stop watching games through my fingers with my hands covering my eyes!!!).

It absolutely was 4 at the back, it's just wellens had to do a load of defending because tollit is given a rather bizarre roaming LM position that drags all the midfield over.

1 hour ago, doctor evil said:

It absolutely was 4 at the back, it's just wellens had to do a load of defending because tollit is given a rather bizarre roaming LM position that drags all the midfield over.

It was 3-5-2, and 4-4-2 when Wellens was subbed.

9 hours ago, doctor evil said:

I’m guessing there is no design in Tollit’s roaming position!

He never gets close enough to any opponent to affect them. He gets beaten very easily, he doesn’t move with the player he is marking and he doesn’t chase back. All meaning he is never contributing to midfield work when Oldham are off the ball. He is a total liability.

I have seen him static when his opponent moved, then waving Clarke out of the centre to cover “his player”. The ball went back into the centre and it was as if there was no mid field.

48 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

They always warm up with the four doing the drill and then play 5 at the back, noticed it every game I’ve been to. 

Tbf when all our players retreat to the edge of our box when the opposition have the ball it's not that easy to spot the formation!

Have to say the general Shez chat pretty much echoes my own thoughts on the situation (especially what @lookersstandandy said). I was initially an advocate for more time for Shez but the more that comes out about the lack of prep etc and the lack of improvement on the pitch it's pretty self evident that to move forward we do need a change.  However, I'd like us to look long term for an appointment - decide on what we want to do in terms of bringing youth through, style of play etc and bring in someone who will be on board for the full project. That way should that person leave in time we can recruit someone to follow the same ethos. So I'm still an advocate for time but purely for putting in place the right structure and recruitment process for the next manager/coach rather than sacking immediately off the back of a bad run.

Everything we've done as a club has been short term thinking for so long now, we need to get out of that mindset and build something long lasting.  Ultimately we aren't realistically in a position to challenge for the title even if we brought someone new in now, but taking the time to get it right could lead to an upturn in form and play off push later in the season.

3 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

Have to say the general Shez chat pretty much echoes my own thoughts on the situation (especially what @lookersstandandy said). I was initially an advocate for more time for Shez but the more that comes out about the lack of prep etc and the lack of improvement on the pitch it's pretty self evident that to move forward we do need a change.  However, I'd like us to look long term for an appointment - decide on what we want to do in terms of bringing youth through, style of play etc and bring in someone who will be on board for the full project. That way should that person leave in time we can recruit someone to follow the same ethos. So I'm still an advocate for time but purely for putting in place the right structure and recruitment process for the next manager/coach rather than sacking immediately off the back of a bad run.

Everything we've done as a club has been short term thinking for so long now, we need to get out of that mindset and build something long lasting.  Ultimately we aren't realistically in a position to challenge for the title even if we brought someone new in now, but taking the time to get it right could lead to an upturn in form and play off push later in the season.

That pretty much sums up where I am.  I never thought that we would be competitive at the top end of the table and couldn't, and still can't, follow the 'logic' of anyone who thought otherwise.  My hope for this season was therefore stability backed up by real progress at restoring the infrastructure, in the widest possible sense, off the pitch.  We really can't afford the grief that goes with another relegation battle.

35 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

Great post and I fully agree.

Archived