National League Thread

11 hours ago, BP1960 said:

And it seems the pitch is unplayable.

The article is referring to the training pitches at ‘Boots & Laces’, but yes, I suspect the pitch at Roots Hall will be in need of attention too. 

12 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Rebrands as TNT Sport on 18 July. I expect Kidderminster or Rochdale will be selected for opening day along with our title showdown with Chesterfield.

I fully expect us @ Chesterfield will be a TV game which, based on last year, means we won't be on TV before then and probably not soon after either.

As both sides in last year's opening day TV game were relegated (Scunny and Yeovil) I don't mind not being a TV game first up.

20 hours ago, kowenicki said:

The article is referring to the training pitches at ‘Boots & Laces’, but yes, I suspect the pitch at Roots Hall will be in need of attention 

20 hours ago, kowenicki said:

The article is referring to the training pitches at ‘Boots & Laces’, but yes, I suspect the pitch at Roots Hall will be in need of attention too. 

The RH pitch was relaid a few weeks ago. However, as the Chairman hasn't been paying the water rates either, let alone staff and everyone else, it seems the water will be turned off imminently!  Thats what a couple of supporters were posting on our forum yesterday. Seriously, with the mire we're in you couldn't make this stuff up.

I'm not sure whether York will really be movers and shakers this season. The new owner is talking big (don't they always?) and they've made a couple of decent signings but they're in need of several players to make a big splash. Could be irritating if they hit form when we play them. Anyway I'll see them on Saturday against a Boro XI and see if anyone really impresses.

https://www.yorkpress.co.uk/sport/23647411.york-city-owner-matt-uggla-aim-high-transfer-plans/

15 hours ago, Glossop Shrimper said:

The RH pitch was relaid a few weeks ago. However, as the Chairman hasn't been paying the water rates either, let alone staff and everyone else, it seems the water will be turned off imminently!  Thats what a couple of supporters were posting on our forum yesterday. Seriously, with the mire we're in you couldn't make this stuff up.

That’s grim.  

15 hours ago, Glossop Shrimper said:

l think it's against the players Human rights to turn off the water so you'll be ok with that one. don't think we paid ours for a decade or so until our integrity rode back into town last year.

Good Luck today.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Glossop Shrimper said:

What a nightmare. Not much point having a fit & proper owners test - as pathetically inadequate as that is - if the authorities then sit back and allow owners to run clubs into the ground. The NL and FA are useless.

I hope things work out for you and that Southend live to fight another day.

5 hours ago, Worcester Owl said:

What a nightmare. Not much point having a fit & proper owners test - as pathetically inadequate as that is - if the authorities then sit back and allow owners to run clubs into the ground. The NL and FA are useless.

I hope things work out for you and that Southend live to fight another day.

This always puzzles me.  What is it that the relevant authorities are supposed to do when owners prove to be not the best guardians?

1 hour ago, Dave_Og said:

This always puzzles me.  What is it that the relevant authorities are supposed to do when owners prove to be not the best guardians?

There is a world of difference between being “not the best guardians” and the kind of behaviour we’ve seen at clubs like Bury, Oldham, Southend etc. It’s hardly surprising that the impetus for an independent regulator has gathered pace in recent years.

There will always be alternative ownership options for clubs in crisis and what the “relevant authorities” should be prepared to do is to suspend the licence of owners where there is clear evidence of maladministration and oversee a change of ownership. The alternative is to sit back, do nothing, and see clubs eventually die. If owners have to pass an initial “fit and proper” test - as flawed as that has been shown to be - why would you not logically want to see fitness and propriety assessed on a continuing basis?

8 hours ago, Worcester Owl said:

There is a world of difference between being “not the best guardians” and the kind of behaviour we’ve seen at clubs like Bury, Oldham, Southend etc. It’s hardly surprising that the impetus for an independent regulator has gathered pace in recent years.

There will always be alternative ownership options for clubs in crisis and what the “relevant authorities” should be prepared to do is to suspend the licence of owners where there is clear evidence of maladministration and oversee a change of ownership. The alternative is to sit back, do nothing, and see clubs eventually die. If owners have to pass an initial “fit and proper” test - as flawed as that has been shown to be - why would you not logically want to see fitness and propriety assessed on a continuing basis?

I know I'm not exactly talking my own book here, putting it mildly!, but is there any sector where regulation really works efficiently and effectively? Water, electric and, say it quietly, financial services and plenty of others have all seen egregious failures despite long established regulatory regimes.  I just don't see it as being anything like the panacea that some do.  Could be wrong, mind.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dave_Og said:

I know I'm not exactly talking my own book here, putting it mildly!, but is there any sector where regulation really works efficiently and effectively? Water, electric and, say it quietly, financial services and plenty of others have all seen egregious failures despite long established regulatory regimes.  I just don't see it as being anything like the panacea that some do.  Could be wrong, mind.

That's a very fair point and having spent much of my working life under the FCA and its predecessors I agree, regulation often does leave a lot to be desired. As the Roman poet Juvenal said, "Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?" (and he didn't even have the offside rule to worry about!). It is immensely difficult to save a club from the bad intentions/stewardship of a dodgy owner, but the effort has to be made. The FCA can ultimately put a firm or individual out of business, and nobody wants to see that happen to football clubs. I wonder whether a bond of, say, 6 months' operating costs should be required of any new owner, to be held by a regulator as a safety net so that, in the event of an owner being barred from running the club, the bond would give a breathing space in which the club could continue to exist while a sale process was undertaken. I do accept there are no easy answers.

• Like 1

Other live fixtures on TNT Sports:

Saturday, August 5 – Rochdale v Ebbsfleet United (5.30pm)
Saturday, August 12 – Dagenham & Redbridge v Southend United (5.30pm)
Saturday, August 19 – Chesterfield v Oldham Athletic (12.30pm)
Saturday, August 26 – Hartlepool United v AFC Fylde (5.30pm)
Monday, August 28 – Eastleigh v Aldershot Town (3pm)

www.thenationalleague.org.uk/tnt-sports

12 minutes ago, LaticMark said:

Other live fixtures on TNT Sports:

Saturday, August 5 – Rochdale v Ebbsfleet United (5.30pm)
Saturday, August 12 – Dagenham & Redbridge v Southend United (5.30pm)
Saturday, August 19 – Chesterfield v Oldham Athletic (12.30pm)
Saturday, August 26 – Hartlepool United v AFC Fylde (5.30pm)
Monday, August 28 – Eastleigh v Aldershot Town (3pm)

www.thenationalleague.org.uk/tnt-sports

Annoyingly, the season pass is not available yet. 

No indication of pricing either. The half season pass was 80 pounds last year so 160 is currently sitting about $300.

Not bad for 46 games.

1 hour ago, Worcester Owl said:

That's a very fair point and having spent much of my working life under the FCA and its predecessors I agree, regulation often does leave a lot to be desired. As the Roman poet Juvenal said, "Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?" (and he didn't even have the offside rule to worry about!). It is immensely difficult to save a club from the bad intentions/stewardship of a dodgy owner, but the effort has to be made. The FCA can ultimately put a firm or individual out of business, and nobody wants to see that happen to football clubs. I wonder whether a bond of, say, 6 months' operating costs should be required of any new owner, to be held by a regulator as a safety net so that, in the event of an owner being barred from running the club, the bond would give a breathing space in which the club could continue to exist while a sale process was undertaken. I do accept there are no easy answers.

I agree. I've put up the bond idea many times. That seems like a very straightforward solution to me. Minimal monitoring required 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, daniel said:

Chesterfield v Latics moved to Saturday lunch time and live on TNT, no major surprise there. A shame it’s not an evening game though.

Reckon the plod have had a say on that as I'm sure they will if the game at Spotland gets picked for TV I'd expect that to be a 12:30pm game too.