Unsworth

I really want DU to succeed.  Seems a decent guy, we have a decent coaching setup for this first time in near a decade & off-field infrastructure is improving by the month.

However, to sign Reid and play him as a lone striker with no support is criminal.  He did it Saturday, did it last night and both times the lad was impotent before being subbed.  

DU said that Reid had been scouted and we did our homework before signing him.  If that’s the case then why play him as a lone striker when his most prolific has been with a strike partner?  

Same with Rooney.  Came on as sub on Saturday, gave us impetus in midfield and we looked dangerous and, directly through Rooney’s energy, we almost snatched a draw.  Last night, he’s on the bench again and DU reverts to playing Gardner who not only was carrying a knock on Saturday, has the brain but lost the legs to be a creative force in midfield.  End result, we play too cautious.

Perhaps DU has the master plan of 4-3-3 but we don’t have the midfield personnel to play that way.  He tries to add two more strikers when he should be working tirelessly to get a DM or a RB so Sheron can play DM.  Maynard isn’t that player!

My biggest concern though is that 6 of that starting 11 last night and Saturday are DU recruits.  A few of those who had played together previously and had over 2 weeks training together but looked like total strangers in both games.  

If the current players aren’t listening to DU or delivering what he’s expecting then do we risk blowing even more £££ on additions and we still deliver the same results?

Silence after last night is deafening- normally we have a post match interview so either DU was too enraged or it was pulled for other reasons.  

I still cannot see the board sacking him and only way is if he walks and takes his coaching team with him at no cost to our club.  Will we even strike a mutual as it will mean the Royles got their managerial recruitment wrong.

Still believe he’ll be given at least December & January or even beyond that unless come March, we are still losing every game & the gap between us and safety is widening.

9 hours ago, hollandspies said:

L L L D D D D W L L L L D L L

P 15  W 1  D 5  L 9

win 6.66%

Total games are 14.

However, If we just go on league games played:

League results under Unsworth:

L L D D W L L L D L L 
Played 11 Won 1  Drawn 3 Lost 7

Points 6 Wins 9%

Interesting to note that:

- after 5 games he had amassed a mighty 5 points

- the next 6 games he has gained a further 1 point

- of the last 6 games, 5 of them have been away games

- only 4 of his 11 games have been at home

- since taking over the manager role he has brought in 8 new players

There’s an oft quoted phrase “Let’s judge him after 10 games”…

well I wonder if the jury is still out?🤔

Edited by TheBigDog

17 minutes ago, Chaddyexile84 said:

Ebrell has done the post match interview 

so more people than actually attended cant use social media to say 'UNSWORTH IS REPEATING HIMSELF AND LYING TO MY EYES AND ALL OF US WE WERE SHIT'

even tho we weren't.

lost a few more off the fence by losing tho.

we really need to play on sunday the club need to be in contact with that balloon company the the TV people and the FA use because the covers is far too big a risk 150 odd hours sub zero including depths of minus 7 and the main stand issue (new on needs a glass roof). 

Unsworth should pay for the balloon think its about four grand a day.

Edited by Monty Burns
by losing

1 hour ago, League one forever said:

Why do you say that? 

Gut instinct. It would be a good two games for a new manager to come into. Not like when we appointed Unsworth and had a hard first few games for him. Said at the time we should have appointed Unsworth before the Scunthorpe game, rather than suffer battering to Bromley and Wrexham. 

I've seen a few people say "Give him the next 2/3 games". Really? We're bloody dog shite and we're second from bottom. His record is absolutely awful and he has had the chance to bring his own players in. Personally, giving him a couple of more league games means that it's more than likely we'll find ourselves in a bigger hole than we currently are. I've not seen anything that shows what kind of Football he wants to play. There's zero connection between Unsworth and the fans. What a depressing situation we find ourselves in. Apparently, we played alright for 20 minutes or so against Boreham Wood, but they ended up winning their first League game since the 8th of October. Earlier this season, the football we played under Sheridan was bad, but this is even worse. Get rid.

I wonder if there’s a scenario where Steve Thompson would be carded as the new manager. Could potentially keep the back room staff in place that way. The recruitment role is something Thompson hasn’t done much of before, but he’s had long spells as Assistant Manager at some decent clubs. Might be worth a shot as caretaker if Unsworth goes.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Sloshed Joe said:

I wonder if there’s a scenario where Steve Thompson would be carded as the new manager. Could potentially keep the back room staff in place that way. The recruitment role is something Thompson hasn’t done much of before, but he’s had long spells as Assistant Manager at some decent clubs. Might be worth a shot as caretaker if Unsworth goes.

Not sure royle or the club can go for anyone who hasn’t got a track record of managing again or their abilities will be called further into question. We need someone who has a half decent record managing a few teams at this level or lg 2. 

7 minutes ago, dannyboy55555 said:

Keith Curle? 

Curle has just been given the Carlisle job after his trial period, exactly what happened here…..his first game last night was a 0 v 5 hammering at home to Stockport!!!

He’s on borrowed time already.😂😂

42 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

Curle has just been given the Carlisle job after his trial period, exactly what happened here…..his first game last night was a 0 v 5 hammering at home to Stockport!!!

He’s on borrowed time already.😂😂

That's odd, given he's manager at Hartlepool

• Like 2

I reckon he need to win two out of the next three, notwithstanding he's a Royle appointment and in many respects sacking him takes us back to square one. We have a run of four tricky fixtures after the next three so without a mini run to bolster him it could add up to a long, long dispiriting run of results.

Can he really survive a defeat at home to Peterborough Sports?  

28 minutes ago, Hemel latic said:

I reckon he need to win two out of the next three, notwithstanding he's a Royle appointment and in many respects sacking him takes us back to square one. We have a run of four tricky fixtures after the next three so without a mini run to bolster him it could add up to a long, long dispiriting run of results.

"Sacking him takes us back to square one". We're second from bottom and can't win a game. We've made no progress. Sacking him isn't a massive risk. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Hemel latic said:

Hogwash how does it take us back to square one if we sack him it is impossible to have a worse record than DU has i am bamboozled by this thinking!

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, AnthonyOAFC said:

"Sacking him takes us back to square one". We're second from bottom and can't win a game. We've made no progress. Sacking him isn't a massive risk. 

6 minutes ago, mickjagger said:

Hogwash how does it take us back to square one if we sack him it is impossible to have a worse record than DU has i am bamboozled by this thinking!

Yeah to be fair, square 1 was 9th under Sheridan

If sacking him takes us back to that Im all for it