Unsworth

If anyone listens to the phone in, it seems Matt would back Unsworth no matter what. A few people brought it up, but there has been a change of view since his meeting with Unsworth. That’s not a criticism, but an observation. Though he does deny it. 
I really appreciate the work Matt puts in, but I do feel that his position at OASF and his work with the podcast/phone-in is damaging his ability to be impartial. It comes across as he doesn’t want to say something to upset those within the club. 
I’ll say it again, I really like the work he does and I listen to every podcast / phone in. But those are my observations on his recent change of view and my reasoning why that has occurred. 

46 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

If anyone listens to the phone in, it seems Matt would back Unsworth no matter what. A few people brought it up, but there has been a change of view since his meeting with Unsworth….

What was his view before?

10 minutes ago, BPAS said:

What was his view before?

He was far more critical of the performances and Unsworth in general. If I recall correctly, but don’t quote me on this, Matt supported the view that we should be seeing incremental improvements week on week. Questioned the formation Unsworth was playing and highlighted that there appears to be no strategy to our play. 
If you compare those words to him saying we need to give Unsworth time it just doesn’t add up and shows a clear change in opinion / viewpoint. 
Like I said, not a criticism Matt is more than entitled to change his view or have his own opinion. But there seems to have been a change pre and post the interview and people have pointed it out is all. 

34 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

He was far more critical of the performances and Unsworth in general. If I recall correctly, but don’t quote me on this, Matt supported the view that we should be seeing incremental improvements week on week. Questioned the formation Unsworth was playing and highlighted that there appears to be no strategy to our play. 
If you compare those words to him saying we need to give Unsworth time it just doesn’t add up and shows a clear change in opinion / viewpoint. 
Like I said, not a criticism Matt is more than entitled to change his view or have his own opinion. But there seems to have been a change pre and post the interview and people have pointed it out is all. 

You can absolutely hold the view that results must improve but he needs more time. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, LightDN123 said:

If anyone listens to the phone in, it seems Matt would back Unsworth no matter what. A few people brought it up, but there has been a change of view since his meeting with Unsworth. That’s not a criticism, but an observation. Though he does deny it. 
I really appreciate the work Matt puts in, but I do feel that his position at OASF and his work with the podcast/phone-in is damaging his ability to be impartial. It comes across as he doesn’t want to say something to upset those within the club. 
I’ll say it again, I really like the work he does and I listen to every podcast / phone in. But those are my observations on his recent change of view and my reasoning why that has occurred. 

IMO- Matt is always going to sound contradictory because he has to have a foot in both camps. He does it on the pod all the time. He’ll have a go at fans for their reactions, but then in the next sentence say things have to improve. He has to show the board and the fans he understands their position. That means there can be grey areas in the perception of what he really believes. . although I’m positive he’d tell you off camera. 

However, the one massive difference between Matt and previous incarnations of people in his position, is he puts himself out every week to be shot at. He welcomes debate, which sometimes gets heated and that takes balls and humility. It’s a rare quality and leagues away from shitpeas. Who claimed he was for the fans. . . but then got loved up on power and the fans became shit on his shoe. 

I really disagree with Matt on Unsworth, because he trying to frame the manager as part of the rebirth- and that’s why he needs more time. That for me is a nonsense. Frank, Joe, Darren, the trust, the kit man, the cleaner and the fans are the club and the infrastructure. ‘The club’ is going really well- and a good manager should and would thrive in that environment. 

One final point that DR said himself on the pod- ‘everything we do is with ultimate aim of success on the pitch.’ In other words- we’ll do everything we can to support the manager to get results. They have and are doing that,  but the manager isn’t doing his bit and he needs to be held accountable for his role given the backing and support he’s had. 

• Like 11

6 hours ago, League one forever said:

IMO- Matt is always going to sound contradictory because he has to have a foot in both camps. He does it on the pod all the time. He’ll have a go at fans for their reactions, but then in the next sentence say things have to improve. He has to show the board and the fans he understands their position. That means there can be grey areas in the perception of what he really believes. . although I’m positive he’d tell you off camera. 

However, the one massive difference between Matt and previous incarnations of people in his position, is he puts himself out every week to be shot at. He welcomes debate, which sometimes gets heated and that takes balls and humility. It’s a rare quality and leagues away from shitpeas. Who claimed he was for the fans. . . but then got loved up on power and the fans became shit on his shoe. 

I really disagree with Matt on Unsworth, because he trying to frame the manager as part of the rebirth- and that’s why he needs more time. That for me is a nonsense. Frank, Joe, Darren, the trust, the kit man, the cleaner and the fans are the club and the infrastructure. ‘The club’ is going really well- and a good manager should and would thrive in that environment. 

One final point that DR said himself on the pod- ‘everything we do is with ultimate aim of success on the pitch.’ In other words- we’ll do everything we can to support the manager to get results. They have and are doing that,  but the manager isn’t doing his bit and he needs to be held accountable for his role given the backing and support he’s had. 

Yeah good points. I like Matt and I think he’s been great for us fans I really do. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, LightDN123 said:

Dave's position - and he admitted so on the phone in - seems to have swung more than Matt's.

It was a good listen last night - Ryan, Gaz (?) and @Lee Sinnotttalking a lot of sense.  Also handy that a regular caller is in weekly contact with Unsworth...!

I'm amazed people are still willing to put blind faith in Unsworth.  I think we have to draw a line under the perception that we have a "hiring and firing" policy at the club - that was a Lemsegam thing and was done to an unreasonable level. 1 win in 15 is not an unreasonable reason to think about getting rid of the manager. 

As for the next manager - we should invite applications/do interviews and as long as he's got a decent reputation at this level, or is on his way up (e.g Greening) and has no horror stories attached to him (e.g about how he coached the Everton Under 23s, for example..) should be granted a bit more patience because now not only does he have 25 years of club mis-management going against him, he's got to undo all Unsworth's mess aswell!

7 hours ago, League one forever said:

I think its fair to say the players throughout Unsworths tenure havn't done their bit either, pretty much without exception.

Agree 100% that we shouldn't be where we are, and probably should be 6 or 7 pts better off and on an upwards trajectory by now which we are not.

However the players need to be just as accountable as the manager and coaching staff for some of the dire football churned out over October and November. Yes formation etc is debatable but lack of effort and desire on many occasions is not.

I have a feeling we will do ok in the next 3 games as I was at both Maidstone and Solihull and there were signs of improvement, and on another day with a bit of luck would have won both and the mood very different. 

Confidence is lacking in abundance which you can't coach and a win or 2 would see a real positive bounce I hope.

I'd be happy for him to stay IF he can start to get a tune out if what now is mainly his first 11.

But it absolutely depends on the next few results I think as the stats don't lie, and EVERYONE within the club must be feeling under a huge amount of pressure at the moment.

Another relegation is unthinkable...

• Like 3

9 hours ago, LightDN123 said:

He's still critical of performances, he still thinks we should be seeing improvements (and accepts we've not been), he still questions the formation/substitutions, but he's reacting to some of the negativity by pointing out we all have a role to play if we want our club to do well. Supporter actions aren't without consequences too. We've been in fight mode for so long, it is many supporters' default setting. We no longer need to fight, so what do we do? Call for the manager's head, boo the players and sign Johnny Sheridan songs, or recognise the longer term thinking we've been crying our for is happening, get behind them and trust the owners/board to make the right decisions? That's all we're doing this week is debating that point.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, League one forever said:

IMO- Matt is always going to sound contradictory because he has to have a foot in both camps. He does it on the pod all the time. He’ll have a go at fans for their reactions, but then in the next sentence say things have to improve

l see zero contradiction in having a go at weapons who just spill negativity for the whole match/lives and then saying things must improve. not even anywhere close to a contradiction. 

the rest of it l understand, but disagree with 'holding people accountable' when theyre about 8% of the way thru the contract and they were off busy building what they said they would build.

l dont think Frank will be givin him a bum pat tellin him he is doin a great job either. 

• Like 1

You have to question the naivety of the board in all this, manager almost hired on a whim whilst current manager and club legend are still holding the baby, Shez was effectively forced out to bring this man in and it's backfiring in an extraordinarily bad way, costing an absolute fortune and damaging the finances in the process, whose responsible in all this because whoever it is shouldn't be making decisions like this again, this appointment has been a nightmare all round for everyone concerned.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

You have to question the naivety of the board in all this, manager almost hired on a whim whilst current manager and club legend are still holding the baby, Shez was effectively forced out to bring this man in and it's backfiring in an extraordinarily bad way, costing an absolute fortune and damaging the finances in the process, whose responsible in all this because whoever it is shouldn't be making decisions like this again, this appointment has been a nightmare all round for everyone concerned.

Well IIRC Mr Rothwell did suggest that D. Royle would be making the football related decisions...

The problem i've got is the hypocrisy. Last season Dean was calling for protests, boycotts etc. creating a toxic atmosphere but was adamant that those actions were not detrimental to results on the pitch. Suddenly, a few boos AFTER the match has ended and a handful of people on social media questioning either the manager, the players or the board and he is up in arms trying to blame the fans for poor results. Ryan who called in last night was absolutely spot on, whilst the owners clearly have good intentions there is no evidence yet that they are good owners, how they handle this situation on the pitch will demonstrate to us if they are good owners or not. If they don't act to remove Unsworth and we go down, it will be on them. If however, they stick with him and he is ultimately a success that will be down to them also and they will deserve a lot of credit for holding their nerve.

Do we know that Sheridan wasn't in in Unsworth or someone else coming in?

1 hour ago, yarddog73 said:

2 hours ago, JoeP said:

As for the next manager - we should invite applications/do interviews and as long as he's got a decent reputation at this level, or is on his way up (e.g Greening) and has no horror stories attached to him (e.g about how he coached the Everton Under 23s, for example..) should be granted a bit more patience because now not only does he have 25 years of club mis-management going against him, he's got to undo all Unsworth's mess aswell!

So the next manager can come in and win 1 in 15 and get patience from you? Hahaha ridiculous 

40 minutes ago, mcfluff1985 said:

So the next manager can come in and win 1 in 15 and get patience from you? Hahaha ridiculous 

That's right.  If a recruitment process is followed and the person comes with a decent reputation and knowledge of the lower leagues, he gets more patience from me.  He's got a lot of mistakes to undo.

Sticking with a manager who's won 1 in 15 who comes with a fairly mixed reputation and who clearly doesn't know what he's doing, for the sake of it?  Now that's ridiculous...

Edited by JoeP
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, PeteG said:

If they (the owners) don't act to remove Unsworth and we go down, it will be on them.
If however, they stick with him and he is ultimately a success that will be down to them also and they will deserve a lot of credit for holding their nerve.

Sort of an obvious statement there..

what would you do if yours was the ultimate decision?

6 hours ago, JoeP said:

Dave's position - and he admitted so on the phone in - seems to have swung more than Matt's.

It was a good listen last night - Ryan, Gaz (?) and @Lee Sinnotttalking a lot of sense.  Also handy that a regular caller is in weekly contact with Unsworth...!

I'm amazed people are still willing to put blind faith in Unsworth.  I think we have to draw a line under the perception that we have a "hiring and firing" policy at the club - that was a Lemsegam thing and was done to an unreasonable level. 1 win in 15 is not an unreasonable reason to think about getting rid of the manager. 

I wasn't going to phone in as I've been on a few times before, but I felt some of Dave's tweets were quite provocative and, as I'd had a twitter exchange with him yesterday morning, I thought I'd go and give my views. There seems to be this view from Matt and Dave (who have definitely gone more defensive of the manager since meeting him) that you either boo at games or you're 100 percent behind them but many people I know are neither, myself included. Talk of there being a defeatist culture at the club doesn't wash with me either cos many of the staff and players here weren't here under the previous ownership.

He has to be under pressure, 1 in 15 is nowhere near acceptable and I genuinely feel that any of us could manage this team and get more than 1 win in 15 against these sides we are playing against. Still don't see him going anywhere for a long time yet and the weather will probably save him from a hostile environment on Sunday...

Edited by Lee Sinnott
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, PeteG said:

The problem i've got is the hypocrisy. Last season Dean was calling for protests, boycotts etc. creating a toxic atmosphere but was adamant that those actions were not detrimental to results on the pitch. Suddenly, a few boos AFTER the match has ended and a handful of people on social media questioning either the manager, the players or the board and he is up in arms trying to blame the fans for poor results. Ryan who called in last night was absolutely spot on, whilst the owners clearly have good intentions there is no evidence yet that they are good owners, how they handle this situation on the pitch will demonstrate to us if they are good owners or not. If they don't act to remove Unsworth and we go down, it will be on them. If however, they stick with him and he is ultimately a success that will be down to them also and they will deserve a lot of credit for holding their nerve.

If you can't see the difference between the situation under the last regime, which the word toxic doesn't begin to do justice to, and the current owners, then I feel for you, I really do. As for accusing Matt of hypocrisy, words fail me.

• Like 1