MATCH: Notts County (A) 26/12/22

• Replies 504
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, mcfluff1985 said:

Or he'll just come over and get abuse. Would you?

I would, because it's the right thing to do and it's part of the gig..

Does anyone in any job just do the stuff they want to do?

6 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

Yes if they've done well. If they had come over today alot of people would have yelled it would have been ugly and it would have solved nothing. 

The players will know how the fans feel they will see it on social media afterwards and during the game from the stands without going over to the fans at the end. I've never felt the need to be applauded just for turning up to an away game. If the players want to thank me put a performance in during the 90 minuted that's the best way they can thank me.

Some of the players might read this message board if they do and want to thank us for our support. You have a game new years day against today's opponents go put a performance in.

Each to there own, but as I say it's the decent thing to do regardless in my opinion.

You can't just come over when you've won because it looks like you're willing to lap up the praise, but not take criticism, which is pretty shithousey..

4 hours ago, JoeP said:

Me, you and @wiseowlcalled it early with regards Unsworth.  The red flags have been there from the start.

Yes, we stuck our heads above the parapet, JoeP. Not something to relish at all but it was clear from quite early on that he was unsuited to be a manager (and Preston/Everton came to that conclusion previously). I just looked at what I posted previously and reproduce an edited version below. No surprise really that he's not doing well; others far better placed than me had seen the warning signs:-

"... one of the best sources is a respected Everton journalist called Patrick Boyland. Here's an extract of what he wrote in April 2022. Any alarm bells in there at all ?

"So far, Everton have been good to their word. The latest ripple was felt this week with the news that David Unsworth would be stepping down from his roles as academy director and under-23 manager with immediate effect. For so long seen as part of the furniture at Everton, Unsworth is said to have begrudgingly left to “pursue his dream of becoming a first-team manager”.

Unsworth vacated his role as under-23 manager with three games of the season to play — somewhat curious timing with the side’s status in the top division at that point still on the line (the 2-0 win over Chelsea on Friday under John Ebbrell took them a big step closer to safety). (Side Note - Hands up if you previously knew Unsworth was on the verge of getting  Everton's under-23 team relegated?)

In truth, Unsworth always retained a focus on achieving his ultimate goal of one day managing Everton. He came close to doing so in 2018, interviewing for the role after Ronald Koeman’s departure, but was overlooked in favour of first Sam Allardyce and then Marco Silva. Cutting the umbilical cord since has been tough, even after the desperate blow of missing out on his dream job. That same year, he spoke to Oxford United about their vacant manager’s position, only to decide to remain at Goodison.

The events of the past week represent a much-needed clean break for him as well. It’s a chance to show what he can do away from Everton.

The last few months saw Everton under-23s lapse back into bad old habits: five in defence, a reactive style and huge gaps between the various sectors of the pitch

For some, Unsworth’s methods were seen as increasingly old school, reflecting a bygone time where tough love was the order of the day. These latest developments at least offer the opportunity of a reset for all concerned, including Unsworth."

We need to part ways ASAP with David Unsworth - his appointment has been a disaster and I`m afraid some people will just have to swallow their pride for the greater good of the club. There needs to be an extraordinary board meeting to sort it out.

14 minutes ago, JoeP said:

Each to there own, but as I say it's the decent thing to do regardless in my opinion.

You can't just come over when you've won because it looks like you're willing to lap up the praise, but not take criticism, which is pretty shithousey..

Their is taking criticism then there is seeking it. They will have known that they have played badly today and known what the fans think we don't need to overblown it anymore.

7 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

Their is taking criticism then there is seeking it. They will have known that they have played badly today and known what the fans think we don't need to overblown it anymore.

What about acknowledging the time, effort and money those that have travelled have put in? 

46 minutes ago, wiseowl said:

Yes, we stuck our heads above the parapet, JoeP. Not something to relish at all but it was clear from quite early on that he was unsuited to be a manager (and Preston/Everton came to that conclusion previously). I just looked at what I posted previously and reproduce an edited version below. No surprise really that he's not doing well; others far better placed than me had seen the warning signs:-

"... one of the best sources is a respected Everton journalist called Patrick Boyland. Here's an extract of what he wrote in April 2022. Any alarm bells in there at all ?

"So far, Everton have been good to their word. The latest ripple was felt this week with the news that David Unsworth would be stepping down from his roles as academy director and under-23 manager with immediate effect. For so long seen as part of the furniture at Everton, Unsworth is said to have begrudgingly left to “pursue his dream of becoming a first-team manager”.

Unsworth vacated his role as under-23 manager with three games of the season to play — somewhat curious timing with the side’s status in the top division at that point still on the line (the 2-0 win over Chelsea on Friday under John Ebbrell took them a big step closer to safety). (Side Note - Hands up if you previously knew Unsworth was on the verge of getting  Everton's under-23 team relegated?)

In truth, Unsworth always retained a focus on achieving his ultimate goal of one day managing Everton. He came close to doing so in 2018, interviewing for the role after Ronald Koeman’s departure, but was overlooked in favour of first Sam Allardyce and then Marco Silva. Cutting the umbilical cord since has been tough, even after the desperate blow of missing out on his dream job. That same year, he spoke to Oxford United about their vacant manager’s position, only to decide to remain at Goodison.

The events of the past week represent a much-needed clean break for him as well. It’s a chance to show what he can do away from Everton.

The last few months saw Everton under-23s lapse back into bad old habits: five in defence, a reactive style and huge gaps between the various sectors of the pitch

For some, Unsworth’s methods were seen as increasingly old school, reflecting a bygone time where tough love was the order of the day. These latest developments at least offer the opportunity of a reset for all concerned, including Unsworth."

We need to part ways ASAP with David Unsworth - his appointment has been a disaster and I`m afraid some people will just have to swallow their pride for the greater good of the club. There needs to be an extraordinary board meeting to sort it out.

Balls to reading this high and mighty I was right shite

Yet another Unsworth masterclass today.

The way we were setup, with five at the back and players who seemed more preoccupied with maintaining their shape than playing football, was our downfall.
The team has to shoulder a lot of the blame but the players were simply afraid to play and a lack of confidence was evident throughout.
Unsworth doesn’t seem to know what he’s doing and reacted far too late in changing things. 
Notts County were toying with us for most of the match and it was a thoroughly depressing watch.

The only other positive, apart from Nuttall, was the Navigation - top top pub 👍

3 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

Yet another Unsworth masterclass today.

The way we were setup, with five at the back and players who seemed more preoccupied with maintaining their shape than playing football, was our downfall.
The team has to shoulder a lot of the blame but the players were simply afraid to play and a lack of confidence was evident throughout.
Unsworth doesn’t seem to know what he’s doing and reacted far too late in changing things. 
Notts County were toying with us for most of the match and it was a thoroughly depressing watch.

The only other positive, apart from Nuttall, was the Navigation - top top pub 👍

The players have down tools BD. They was large spells of today with zero pressing and players walking around. They clearly don’t believe in him. 

1 hour ago, mcfluff1985 said:

Or he'll just come over and get abuse. Would you?

Everyone has to do things they don't like as part of their job. Why is it fair that the players should get stick but not the guy picking them?

Because Unsworth feels he's beyond criticism, but that's a different argument

Just now, League one forever said:

The players have down tools BD. They was large spells of today with zero pressing and players walking around. They clearly don’t believe in him. 

Whilst I wont disagree

What is this weird phenomenon in football where you down tools cos you dont like the manager?

I have worked for many managers I have hated but professional pride and not wanting to be a twat made sure I turned up to work every day and did my best

If they walk around because they dont like Unsworth, they can fuck off too 

4 hours ago, Punce said:

"I feel so sorry for Frank Rothwell, he doesn’t deserve this shit."

Me too.  Doing all the right things and it's coming out wrong.

Two more quotes from the Nott's fine commentary:

“Oldham’s defence may have got nearer to seeing Father Christmas than our attack”

“Austin is man of the match. When they come off Oldham will have to check him out, to see what he looks like”

"Lionheart's fridge is more mobile than Oldham. And its filled with beer".

They said that. Honest

15 minutes ago, Chaddyexile84 said:

Whilst I wont disagree

What is this weird phenomenon in football where you down tools cos you dont like the manager?

I have worked for many managers I have hated but professional pride and not wanting to be a twat made sure I turned up to work every day and did my best

If they walk around because they dont like Unsworth, they can fuck off too 

100% Chaddy. 

It shouldn’t happen but it does, because it’s human nature. 

Players work managers out very quickly. There is definitely a frustration and apathy about being asked to do something that clearly isn’t working. 

In any workplace if your manager kept asking you to do something that you knew was bollocks- you’d do it, but it would be the bare minimum. That’s what we’re watching- players going through the motions. 

4 hours ago, oafc1955 said:

I expected to lose but I honestly thought small improvements would continue and we would put in a decent performance.

We played a totally defensive formation with a back five and still conceded 4 and it could easily have been 8!

The players have to take some of the blame but the truth is they don’t look like they have the faintest idea of what they’re supposed to be doing!

I’ve been an Unsworth supporter throughout but I honestly can’t think of a single reason why he should keep his job.

That was a total embarrassment to our football club, an absolute shambles of a performance.

I feel so sorry for Frank Rothwell, he doesn’t deserve this shit.

Unsworth out!!!

Anybody really that suprised by todays result

Date

H/A Opponent Competition KO/Score Attd Scorers
Sat 6 Aug H Maidenhead United National League (2)3 - 0(0) 6,331 Langstaff (2), Taylor
Sat 13 Aug A Boreham Wood National League (1)2 - 2(1) 1,303 Rodrigues (pen), Mitchell
Tue 16 Aug A Gateshead National League (0)1 - 1(0) 1,825 Storey (og)
Sat 20 Aug H Chesterfield National League (0)2 - 2(1) 8,287 Langstaff (2)
Sat 27 Aug A FC Halifax Town National League (2)4 - 1(0) 2,371 Langstaff (2), Scott
Mon 29 Aug H Solihull Moors National League (0)1 - 0(0) 7,004 Chicksen
Sat 3 Sep A Dagenham & Redbridge National League (3)5 - 0(0) 1,722 Langstaff (3), Scott, Chicksen
Tue 13 Sep H Aldershot Town National League (0)2 - 0(0) 5,607 Scott, Langstaff
Sat 17 Sep A Dorking Wanderers National League (0)1 - 3(1) 2,402 Scott
Sat 24 Sep A York City National League (2)3 - 1(1) 6,759 Castro, Langstaff (2)
Sat 1 Oct H Altrincham National League (2)3 - 1(0) 6,458 Langstaff (3)
Tue 4 Oct H Wrexham National League (1)1 - 0(0) 10,741 Langstaff
Sat 8 Oct A Woking National League (3)3 - 2(1) 3,267 Scott (3)
Sat 15 Oct H Coalville Town FA Cup 4Q (1)2 - 3(2) 5,063 Austin (2)
Fri 21 Oct H Maidstone United National League (1)3 - 0(0) 6,765 Langstaff, Scott (2)
Tue 25 Oct A Wealdstone National League (4)6 - 1(0) 1,710 Langstaff, Palmer, Chicksen, Nemane, Bajrami (2)
Sat 29 Oct H Torquay United National League (2)4 - 0(0) 7,563 Rawlinson, Castro, Bajrami (2)
Tue 1 Nov H Bromley National League (1)1 - 1(0) 6,389 Chicksen
Tue 8 Nov A Southend United National League (1)2 - 2(0) 6,603 Langstaff, Scott
Sat 12 Nov A Eastleigh National League (0)2 - 0(0) 3,055  
Sat 19 Nov H Yeovil Town National League (0)0 - 0(0) 16,511  
Sat 3 Dec A Scunthorpe United National League (3)4 - 1(1) 4,196 Castro, O'Brien, Langstaff, Scott
Sat 10 Dec A Maidenhead United National League (3)4 - 3(1) 1,467 Castro, Langstaff (2)
Tue 13 Dec H Gateshead National League (1)2 - 0(0) 5,539 Francis
Tue 20 Dec H Chorley FA Trophy 3 (2)2 - 1(1)   Austin, Leather (og)
Mon 26 Dec H Oldham Athletic National League (4)4 - 1(1) 9,789 Scott (2)

35 minutes ago, Guy Branston Pickle said:

Everyone has to do things they don't like as part of their job. Why is it fair that the players should get stick but not the guy picking them?

Because Unsworth feels he's beyond criticism, but that's a different argument

I want him gone but going over to the fans isn't in his job remit. It definitely isn't part of his job. Silly idea

Guest Stanley30
3 hours ago, Canada_latic said:

Hopefully there's performance clauses in Unworths contract? So we don't have to pay out his 3 year contract. He's another one like David Dunn who came in with the Billy Big Bollocks attitude of I know best because I played Premier league and international level. Too stubborn to change his tactics, not realizing that the players can't be coached the same way Premier league players or u23 players. He's dealing with players that are at this level for a reason.

You won't be paying any of it, so don't worry

He’s taking the piss out of us I’m sorry. He effectively accepted we would lose today, to Notts County. Its embarrassing! What are we as a club at this point. I hate losing, but accepting we are going to lose is not something I will accept. Unsworth out when we are losing in New Year’s Day ? 
Anyone who wants to still keep him needs to give their head a wobble, unless they want to see us in the conference North. I can’t even believe I am typing that, but it’s happening with this fraud in charge. Act NOW 

6 minutes ago, Guy Branston Pickle said:

Not a great look though is it? Leaving the players out there to take the flak after your atrocious tactics lost the game? It's cowardly 

The players still played the game. They don't get off that easily. If they're not happy with sitting back, have some pride and get fucking stuck in. It's still the players lumping shit balls forward

2 minutes ago, mcfluff1985 said:

The players still played the game. They don't get off that easily. If they're not happy with sitting back, have some pride and get fucking stuck in. It's still the players lumping shit balls forward

Say what??? 

Half time. 

Why did you ignore what I wanted and start to flying into tackles? 

Because we don’t agree with anything you’ve told us, so we decided to show some pride and just do what we want. 

😂😂

7 minutes ago, mcfluff1985 said:

If the players don't follow his tactics then they won't play so they won't stop sitting back for fear of being dropped. 

Archived