MATCH: Dorking Wanderers (A) 07/01/23

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just got back from the game and this could be a turning point in our season.

Confidence is such a big thing at this level and after today our tails should be well and truely up.

Pains me a bit to say it but Unsworth gave a tactical masterclass today.

We played a bit deep but forced them to play the ball in from areas where they were ineffective and not dangerous(bar the first goal).

They created so few chances once we equalised we were never really troubled.

We simply outmuscled them and they couldn't cope with our physicality, and this was clearly how we were set up to play. Sit in, win the ball back and get it up to big Mike and Nuttall, and it worked a treat.

Would have liked us to keep 2 up top last 15 mins as we would have scored again and poor Reid was left on his own again...but hey I'm not complaining.🙂

Just one negative....some dicks booing the players after 15 mins....what's the fucking point in coming....I nearly punched one of them 😵 Onwards and upwards 👍👍

4 minutes ago, Londonboy said:

Nah. 

After 18 games of playing a formation with a 5 in it, and losing the vast majority - he stumbled on (his own words) 442. This was also after saying formations don’t matter. . . 

It turns out they do. 

The only credit I’ll give him,  is that after NYD he didn’t revert to type. IF he sticks to this, then I’m a lot more confident of staying up than I was on the 31st of December. 

I'm still very much Unsworth out as today was a complete anomaly to what we've seen so far, but at least he has taken some of the criticism on board and finally picked (or 'stumbled upon') a formation that suits the players. But it has to be built on now. If he manages to start getting a bit of consistency then I'll hold my hands up.

16 minutes ago, Guy Branston Pickle said:

I'm still very much Unsworth out as today was a complete anomaly to what we've seen so far, but at least he has taken some of the criticism on board and finally picked (or 'stumbled upon') a formation that suits the players. But it has to be built on now. If he manages to start getting a bit of consistency then I'll hold my hands up.

I don't think there's any need for anyone to hold their hands up.

We've been dire under Unsworth up until today - any criticism or questioning of his abilities up to this point is perfectly justified, regardless of what comes next.

The club's rebuilding and all that jazz, but football's a simple game, he's been backed and he's not been getting the best out of the team.

Fingers crossed today is the day the penny has finally dropped..

17 minutes ago, Guy Branston Pickle said:

With you all the way,

Time will tell

I forgot to mention, I'm happier tonight than I have been in ages.

1 hour ago, Londonboy said:

Confidence is such a big thing at this level and after today our tails should be well and truely up.

We played a bit deep but forced them to play the ball in from areas where they were ineffective and not dangerous(bar the first goal).

We simply outmuscled them and they couldn't cope with our physicality, and this was clearly how we were set up to play. Sit in, win the ball back and get it up to big Mike and Nuttall, and it worked a treat.

Would have liked us to keep 2 up top last 15 mins as we would have scored again and poor Reid was left on his own again...but hey I'm not complaining.🙂

Just one negative....some dicks booing the players after 15 mins....what's the fucking point in coming....I nearly punched one of them 😵 Onwards and upwards 👍👍

Should have punched the fcker.

Well, it was a result I never dreamed I would see with this team and this manager. Rather than belittle Dorking, I would rather say Latics were too much for them and the better team..obviously. Still, there were some on Twatter who would rather put the victory down to the failings of Dorking than the qualities of Latics.

A big shout to Fondop and I admit, I was amongst those who questioned his starting spot over Reid, who I am sure is going to bag  quite a few in future games. Fondop is a huge unit who must strike a bit of terror into any defender's psyche. I hope this was his springboard to a good return for the rest of the season.

Let's not get carried away because we all know how this team can lift you and drop you within a week of football and at the very least we should enjoy the moment. There is still room for improvement across the right back and midfield positions but today's performance only goes to highlight the damage they can cause.

Gateshead will be a different proposition, play like they did today and there is no reason why a positive result cannot be achieved.

2 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Let’s not forget everyone. 

Shez had us in 14th playing 442 with a far inferior squad. 

IF Unsy sticks with 442 with much better players- logic says we’ll be fine. 

I'm not supporting Unsworth here but 14th under Shez was in the embryonic table, not midway. It's not the formation, it's the personnel and the tactics plus the confidence and motivation. If he has any football intelligence about him, Unsworth can only build from today's result.

Fingers crossed.

Fondop was immense .Reminded me of his brace down at Newport.Formation is one I've always believed in over the years but better late than never.Marc White ...what a proper  manager who wears his heart on his sleeve.Full credit to him.Unsworth is still not off the hook by a long chalk.Great credit to our fans who deserved that result.Onwards and upwards.

2 hours ago, Londonboy said:

Amazed it hasn't been mentioned but who else would sub a centre forward at 5-1 and bring on.....a centre half. It was notable that Dorking had their best 15 minutes when we went to 5 at the back.

In the warm glow of the victory I'll try and give Unsworth some credit for wanting to give Reg Varney some game time rather than a hopelessly negative move.

14 minutes ago, Wardie said:

I'm not supporting Unsworth here but 14th under Shez was in the embryonic table, not midway. It's not the formation, it's the personnel and the tactics plus the confidence and motivation. If he has any football intelligence about him, Unsworth can only build from today's result.

Fingers crossed.

So you think NYD and today have nothing to do the formation? 

Id say it’s everything to do with it, and the only reason we look more confident and assured. 

No 3 at the back. No 3 in midfield -with the ball- 5 without it. Not one striker on his own isolated. . . all the things that were happening prior to NYD. 

These players are in division 5 for a reason, they aren’t capable of making in game decisions. That’s one reason why they’re not top players. Make the tactics and formations as simple as possible and buy good players. 

It really shouldn’t be hard as it has been for us to compete at this level. As you say- hopefully he’s learnt. 

9 minutes ago, Hemel latic said:

Amazed it hasn't been mentioned but who else would sub a centre forward at 5-1 and bring on.....a centre half. It was notable that Dorking had their best 15 minutes when we went to 5 at the back.

In the warm glow of the victory I'll try and give Unsworth some credit for wanting to give Reg Varney some game time rather than a hopelessly negative move.

Agreed. .  

Let’s go with your second paragraph. 👀

I don’t agree that 442 is the silver bullet. We had a centre back at right back and a centre mid at right mid and it showed. Their goal came from that side and we struggled for width because we don’t have wingers. 

There were a couple of differences in the performance today to what I last saw live a few weeks ago. Firstly the pressure on the ball was really good. Meant they struggled to create much clear cut after the goal and also gave us lots of counter opportunities. Secondly committing more forward against a weak defence. I still think this can be done with a front 3 if you have better players behind, but as we don’t, having a front 2 is crucial. 

For the Unsworth outers, I’d probably save your breath. We have enough ability in the squad (especially up top) to get the points we need to stay up. So I don’t think relegation will be a real threat  and they’ll stick with him for at least another 12 months. I don’t think we played particularly good team football today but we applied pressure in the right areas and got rewarded. I’m fine with that for now, seen far too much winning the passing but not the points over the years!

If we had a Kitching type on the right I think we could play 433 as Sheron did a good job as the holding mid in front of the defence. But if we want to be successful with 442 I think we need a centre mid and a right winger too. 

Up to Unsworth to develop a consistently performing team and style over the next few months now. 

Archived