MATCH: Dorking Wanderers (A) 07/01/23

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When Lee Johnson was manager he said his aim was to get the side to play 3 different formations.

Even at this level I think players have to be flexible and indeed have the capability to play different formations even switching during. 

Now 4-4-2 with 2 big lads up the middle worked on Saturday playing a deep 4-4-2 worked to am extent on New Year's day. But the coming games might throw up different challenges. Not many teams play as openly as Dorking and we might find that a team comes to Boundary Park and sit in against us this means we might have to change it up. Fondop scored 3 on Saturday but he might not be as effective next week you might need Reid or Abrahams to come off the bench.

I'd also say it not just comes down to the formation but the mentality too you can play a defensive 4-4-2 like we did on NYD or you can play an expansive one where you push the full backs up.

So I don't think it's just a case of just switching to 4-4-2 for the rest of the season and beyond its a case of 4-4-2 should be seen as one of the options we can switch too depending on the circumstances. That's where we want to get too long term. However whichever system we play I think we need a solution to the right hand side of the pitch because we don't seem to have a competent enough right back/right mid/right wing/Right wing back yet. If we do that then our options will open up.

1 hour ago, GlossopLatic said:

When Lee Johnson was manager he said his aim was to get the side to play 3 different formations.

Even at this level I think players have to be flexible and indeed have the capability to play different formations even switching during. 

Now 4-4-2 with 2 big lads up the middle worked on Saturday playing a deep 4-4-2 worked to am extent on New Year's day. But the coming games might throw up different challenges. Not many teams play as openly as Dorking and we might find that a team comes to Boundary Park and sit in against us this means we might have to change it up. Fondop scored 3 on Saturday but he might not be as effective next week you might need Reid or Abrahams to come off the bench.

I'd also say it not just comes down to the formation but the mentality too you can play a defensive 4-4-2 like we did on NYD or you can play an expansive one where you push the full backs up.

So I don't think it's just a case of just switching to 4-4-2 for the rest of the season and beyond its a case of 4-4-2 should be seen as one of the options we can switch too depending on the circumstances. That's where we want to get too long term. However whichever system we play I think we need a solution to the right hand side of the pitch because we don't seem to have a competent enough right back/right mid/right wing/Right wing back yet. If we do that then our options will open up.

Notts county manager said he played 3 different formations in the first half against Aldershot. Players now have to be a lot more flexible and also more drilled so when the change happens they know exactly what to do 

3 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

You're saying you don't crave (good) stability?

Of course I crave good stability! Good may be a short word but, during DU's tenure to date, it's been one massive missing piece. I`m certainly not getting giddy over one good win against Dorking, though. I`ve only missed 2 matches this season and it's been largely shocking. I hope I am proven wrong in my opinion that we have the wrong man.

2 hours ago, GlossopLatic said:

Great post which demonstrates a greater understanding of the beautiful game. We stood off against Notts County which was the right thing to do to prevent them from getting in behind like they did in the first game and it was so frustrating to hear everybody around me being very vocal in slating our tactics. It makes me cringe when I hear comments like ‘you’re clueless Unsworth’ when in reality it’s the people shouting these things that lack the understanding. He has to listen to this and not react and then gets slated for not warming to the fans ffs.
Please now give the guy a break and let’s all at least try pulling in the ame direction. I truly believe that we have turned a corner and things are only going to get better from here.
Oh and my other gripe is just because I prefer to be optimistic or perhaps have a different view than some, that doesn’t make me ‘diluded’. Hate that word.

4 hours ago, meat pie sausage roll said:

Great post which demonstrates a greater understanding of the beautiful game. We stood off against Notts County which was the right thing to do to prevent them from getting in behind like they did in the first game and it was so frustrating to hear everybody around me being very vocal in slating our tactics. It makes me cringe when I hear comments like ‘you’re clueless Unsworth’ when in reality it’s the people shouting these things that lack the understanding. He has to listen to this and not react and then gets slated for not warming to the fans ffs.
Please now give the guy a break and let’s all at least try pulling in the ame direction. I truly believe that we have turned a corner and things are only going to get better from here.
Oh and my other gripe is just because I prefer to be optimistic or perhaps have a different view than some, that doesn’t make me ‘diluded’. Hate that word.

‘diluded’. Hate that word.

how about ‘deluded’? 😆😆
😆😆😆

A few days after the game, a few thoughts:

Standing on the concrete path behind the goal in the pouring rain was the worst place to watch a game of football.

The conditions on the day were atrocious - both the weather and the uneven bounce from the 3G pitch.

After a shaky start we coped well with the conditions.

Only 5 of the starting 11 were brought in by Unsworth.

Initially we set up to press Dorking only when they crossed the halfway line.

We play narrow, which is fine, but need to move across, as a unit, more quickly. 

Our right side is our weakest, and teams know this and look to exploit it.

This was the first game I’ve seen this season in which we had the bigger players on the pitch.

We are set up to be a counterattacking team.

Peck had his best game for us so far.

That Fondop goal was immense.

The pubs in Dorking are decent.

Regardless of the opposition, victory was oh so sweet. 

1 hour ago, League one forever said:

Yeah, it’s weird isn’t it. 

It’s almost like the last two games have been miles better, and when results and performance’s improve people don’t criticise. It’s really mad. 

nah all the points are still valid its just theres some strange people who get excited to complain and never say a good thing ever

9 hours ago, penrhyn said:

Funny how some people have gone quite

Time and a place, innit.  Those who are anti-Unsworth can't come on and say "Unsworth's a genius now!" because they'll just look silly, but come on and say "he's still shit regardless" and it'll sound like we actually want the club to fail.

Pleased with the results.  Still sceptical about Unsworth.  What else needs to be said?

14 hours ago, penrhyn said:

Funny how some people have gone quite

I'm sure plenty of people of people will be more than happy to hold their hands up if in 12 months things are going well. 

We've drawn against Notts County and beaten a team of postmen. We're not quite at the "told you so" stage yet.

1 hour ago, longtimeblue said:

I'm sure plenty of people of people will be more than happy to hold their hands up if in 12 months things are going well. 

We've drawn against Notts County and beaten a team of postmen. We're not quite at the "told you so" stage yet.

Is it just me or is anyone else getting fed up with these derogatory comments about other NL teams? "Binmen", "pub team", "team of postmen" etc. If we were top of the league it would come across as arrogant, patronising rubbish. As we are 20th it just smacks of deluded, wannabe big-time Charlies. How many promotions have Dorking had again?

18 minutes ago, Worcester Owl said:

Is it just me or is anyone else getting fed up with these derogatory comments about other NL teams? "Binmen", "pub team", "team of postmen" etc. If we were top of the league it would come across as arrogant, patronising rubbish. As we are 20th it just smacks of deluded, wannabe big-time Charlies. How many promotions have Dorking had again?

I find it more offensive to binmen and postmen in all honesty as if their job is so shit its fair game to use it as an unfunny non league football comparison.

44 minutes ago, Worcester Owl said:

I think some people haven't come to terms with the fact we are a national league side yet.

I don't particularly want to be down here either But we are here we may aswell embrace it. It doesn't mean we are resigned to this forever we will be back in the football league in the next few years that will happen.

It's been fair to say that I think overall the standard has been slightly higher than expected and I've seen some decent football while we have been here and I'm sure we will see plenty more.

Also some of you might not like the idea of facing Dorking in the league but honestly those of you that went we won 5-1 and you got a free pint tell me you didn't have fun.

19 minutes ago, mcfluff1985 said:

Snowflake alert

Ah snowflake, the usual response to anything people think is unacceptable, probably support Andrew Bridgens comments this week too.

Look forward to you sugessting we are playing a team full of Doctors, lawyers and accountants at the weekend 

13 minutes ago, Chaddyexile84 said:

Ah snowflake, the usual response to anything people think is unacceptable, probably support Andrew Bridgens comments this week too.

Look forward to you sugessting we are playing a team full of Doctors, lawyers and accountants at the weekend 

I briefly turned out in the Manchester Accounts League and would fully expect any random 11 binmen to win it 😂

2 hours ago, Worcester Owl said:

They're part-time and the players have other jobs. Literally the only reason I said it. Statistically, I'd have thought there was a postman or two within the squad.

51 minutes ago, longtimeblue said:

They're part-time and the players have other jobs. Literally the only reason I said it. Statistically, I'd have thought there was a postman or two within the squad.

Some of them must be quite academic, I hear they have letters behind their names. 

Archived