MATCH: Dorking Wanderers (A) 07/01/23

I remember that clip from Hartlepool of Fondop hilariously slicing wide when through on goal, just as we signed him. Mega shared and laughed at by seemingly everyone on social media.

I've always felt, since we signed him he's a decent player for our level. Holds up the ball well and got a decent finish in him (despite that clip!). Yesterday showed what he's got in his locker. He deserves his place up front cemented after that performance.

I'm growing more and more impressed with Sheron too in his midfield role. I get the feeling small cogs are just starting to bed in. We'll stink the place out occasionally still, but I'm confident we will batter some teams at this level, the more settled his team gets.

Part of me wants to stay at this level for the massively refreshing media stuff like Marc White delivers over the banal cliched soundbites everywhere else. "We lost because our defence was shit!" Good on him!

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 hours ago, L1onheartNew said:

Chapman is the worst player I have ever seen. 

Steve Edwards can sleep at night now.

Aww, as a kid I always liked Steve Edwards, bit limited but always gave 100%. I remember some wag in the Chaddy once shouting to him that he'd got in the wrong queue at the job centre and should've been a plumber... which ironically is what I believe he became after he packed football in 😅

2 hours ago, mick26 said:

For those who went - did the pitch play better because of the heavy rain? Didn't really notice it being 3G/4G unlike some earlier games this season.

The pitch wasnt the best but if it had been a grass pitch there was a serious risk the game would have been postponed or abandoned, especially during the first half of the second half when it was absolutely belting it down.

The ball didn’t seem to run/bounce as you might expect. 

1 hour ago, Mr Banks, Zone 3 said:

Aww, as a kid I always liked Steve Edwards, bit limited but always gave 100%. I remember some wag in the Chaddy once shouting to him that he'd got in the wrong queue at the job centre and should've been a plumber... which ironically is what I believe he became after he packed football in 😅

He always gave 100 per cent, but he was never a second division/Championship level player. I sometimes forget the level we were playing at when I was a kid. Can't compare with players at this level.

15 hours ago, League one forever said:

So you think NYD and today have nothing to do the formation? 

Id say it’s everything to do with it, and the only reason we look more confident and assured. 

No 3 at the back. No 3 in midfield -with the ball- 5 without it. Not one striker on his own isolated. . . all the things that were happening prior to NYD. 

These players are in division 5 for a reason, they aren’t capable of making in game decisions. That’s one reason why they’re not top players. Make the tactics and formations as simple as possible and buy good players. 

It really shouldn’t be hard as it has been for us to compete at this level. As you say- hopefully he’s learnt. 

3 hours ago, League one forever said:

I don’t agree with any of this.

No one said we have enough players to adequately have the right player for every position. Yesterday we had 9 players in a position they know well. The other two, Sutton did a job, (and Unsy has finally brought right back cover in Varney) and peck had his best game for us in my view. So again he did a job. 

You say it isn’t a sliver bullet, then my make my point above- by saying we don’t have the players for 433 so we need to play two up top. 😂 So . . we do need to play 442 then. 

The reason we are closer to the ball and the pressing is better is because there isn’t huge gaps between positions, or huge gaps between defence and midfield. Why? Because the players understand where they are supposed to be.  It’s two banks of four and is the oldest and simplest shape to play. Especially for a team lacking in confidence. 

Every single time we play a formation with a 3 or 5 in it- we get hammered. And it’s only until he switches to 442 that we start to look anywhere near half decent. IF he goes back to it, we’re screwed. 

For the Unsworth inners, don’t start getting giddy you were right along. We’ve a won game. Everyone is pleased, but let’s remember it was because of the backing many of us had an issue in the first place. IF we avoid relegation, he very cautiously gets next season. But let’s have it right- a finish of 18th is nothing to celebrate or pat him on the back for. He will have got out of jail by ‘stumbling on’ 442. 

Must have pained you that result yesterday

16 hours ago, nzlatic said:

I don’t agree that 442 is the silver bullet. We had a centre back at right back and a centre mid at right mid and it showed. Their goal came from that side and we struggled for width because we don’t have wingers. 

There were a couple of differences in the performance today to what I last saw live a few weeks ago. Firstly the pressure on the ball was really good. Meant they struggled to create much clear cut after the goal and also gave us lots of counter opportunities. Secondly committing more forward against a weak defence. I still think this can be done with a front 3 if you have better players behind, but as we don’t, having a front 2 is crucial. 

For the Unsworth outers, I’d probably save your breath. We have enough ability in the squad (especially up top) to get the points we need to stay up. So I don’t think relegation will be a real threat  and they’ll stick with him for at least another 12 months. I don’t think we played particularly good team football today but we applied pressure in the right areas and got rewarded. I’m fine with that for now, seen far too much winning the passing but not the points over the years!

If we had a Kitching type on the right I think we could play 433 as Sheron did a good job as the holding mid in front of the defence. But if we want to be successful with 442 I think we need a centre mid and a right winger too. 

Up to Unsworth to develop a consistently performing team and style over the next few months now. 

I agree very much with this sentiment. I don't think it's just down to switching to 4-4-2 that has got us 4 points from the last 2 games I think their is a few other factors involved in that. However as we are improving playing that formation then I think we should stick with it. Currently the left hand side is stronger than the right so I'd look to improve that area if we can for that reason Colclough will likely be a good signing. Plus a right back then we maybe getting very close to being a very good side at this level.

To add to this aswell I've just seen the 5th goal yesterday loved it!

We won the ball high up the pitch and the celebration with the fans and players together was good to see.

Didn't go yesterday, but it sounds like those that did had a good day out.  Marc White seems like a top bloke - hope Dorking stay up (but not at the expense of ourselves, obviously..).

Dorking go into a very elite group of other clubs I don't mind along with Brighton (their fans had a whip round for us just after administration when we played them on the first day of the season), Leyton Orient (their Trust helped advise our Trust and attended protests, etc.) and Port Vale (joined in with our "you're not fit to run the club" chants to Abdallah last season).

4 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

I don't think it's just down to switching to 4-4-2 that has got us 4 points from the last 2 games I think their is a few other factors involved in that. However as we are improving playing that formation then I think we should stick with it.

I love it. 😂😂😂

It’s not just down to 442 there’s other non descriptive things. . .

But seeing as though we have improved since we played that formation we should play it. 

Right out of the Unsy playbook that one. 

Formations don’t matter. . 

Oh look. They do. 

6 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

To add to this aswell I've just seen the 5th goal yesterday loved it we won the ball high up the pitch and the celebration with the fans and players together was good to see.

Agreed

Seeing the players literally jump into the arms of the fans made me do a little fist pump myself 

3 hours ago, LaticsPete said:

I can’t accept the view that a team is “in control “ but defending doesn’t count in assessing that. If a team conceded five then there’s no control whatsoever. 

rafa Benitez’s had a career talking about control of a game in his post game interview. He accepts individual errors were to blame but general play was better than ours. Seems a totally acceptable comment to me 

I was really pleased that in his interview Unsworth gave all the credit for the win to the players. He's come a long way in a short time from bemoaning the quality of the team early doors. Shows he's learning and improving. And he looks ten years younger in that interview.

Early days, one swallow etc, but credit where it's due.

7 hours ago, Steve_R said:

Agree with this. I’ve said before that I’m sure Frank & Co will expect us to pull away from the drop zone eventuality so will continue to back him, and envisage the recent signings improving as they settle in.

we need to use this a a springboard for the rest of the season and finish as high was we can. Next season there can be no excuses and we really should be challenging at the top, but for the time being Unsworth’s going nowhere.

Yep, loved the interaction yesterday between Frank and the Latics fans after the game as he was coming out of the main stand. He was as giddy as the rest of us. Frank’s opinion was that we turned the corner against Notts County, so as you say it seems like DU is going nowhere. 

5 hours ago, bigfatjoe1 said:

He always gave 100 per cent, but he was never a second division/Championship level player. I sometimes forget the level we were playing at when I was a kid. Can't compare with players at this level.

After leaving us he spent the rest of his career with the likes of Crewe, Rochdale and Tranmere, which affirms what you say. There's a great video on YouTube somewhere though of him versus Luther Blisset circa 1981 😅

8 hours ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

......................Part of me wants to stay at this level for the massively refreshing media stuff like Marc White delivers over the banal cliched soundbites everywhere else. "We lost because our defence was shit!" Good on him!

He's great.   Here is the history of the club, I just thought they were Dorking, didn't realize they have only been around under 25 years and he started playing with a bunch of mates.  Bloody brilliant.

Apologies if this is common knowledge and has been seen afore:

56 minutes ago, Punce said:

He's great.   Here is the history of the club, I just thought they were Dorking, didn't realize they have only been around under 25 years and he started playing with a bunch of mates.  Bloody brilliant.

Apologies if this is common knowledge and has been seen afore:

That was quality. 👏🏻

First time I`ve had a really good day out this season - thoroughly enjoyed it. 4-4-2 has made a massive difference; stick with it PLEASE. Fondop - don't understand why people don't rate him at this level. An absolute handful and should be one of the first on the team sheet every week. 

I have fingers and toes crossed that this wasn't a "flash in the pan". 

9 hours ago, wiseowl said:

First time I`ve had a really good day out this season - thoroughly enjoyed it. 4-4-2 has made a massive difference; stick with it PLEASE. Fondop - don't understand why people don't rate him at this level. An absolute handful and should be one of the first on the team sheet every week. 

I have fingers and toes crossed that this wasn't a "flash in the pan". 

It's taken half a season for him to realise 442 is better even though numb nuts says he stumbled on it.No doubt he will be expecting  praise for his discovery

22 hours ago, League one forever said:

I don’t agree with any of this.

No one said we have enough players to adequately have the right player for every position. Yesterday we had 9 players in a position they know well. The other two, Sutton did a job, (and Unsy has finally brought right back cover in Varney) and peck had his best game for us in my view. So again he did a job. 

You say it isn’t a sliver bullet, then my make my point above- by saying we don’t have the players for 433 so we need to play two up top. 😂 So . . we do need to play 442 then. 

The reason we are closer to the ball and the pressing is better is because there isn’t huge gaps between positions, or huge gaps between defence and midfield. Why? Because the players understand where they are supposed to be.  It’s two banks of four and is the oldest and simplest shape to play. Especially for a team lacking in confidence. 

Every single time we play a formation with a 3 or 5 in it- we get hammered. And it’s only until he switches to 442 that we start to look anywhere near half decent. IF he goes back to it, we’re screwed. 

For the Unsworth inners, don’t start getting giddy you were right along. We’ve a won game. Everyone is pleased, but let’s remember it was because of the backing many of us had an issue in the first place. IF we avoid relegation, he very cautiously gets next season. But let’s have it right- a finish of 18th is nothing to celebrate or pat him on the back for. He will have got out of jail by ‘stumbling on’ 442. 

I'm not sure that advocating 2 up front makes your point for you about it needing to be 442, seeing as other midfield formations are available!  Personally I just don't see 442 as a long term solution and I think we're a decent right back away from having good options to play 4 at the back with flexible formations ahead of that. 

As for Unsworth, I don't think there are any "inners" are there? Just those who thought he should be given time to build a squad and learn what works in this division. I don't think we've seen much to suggest he's definitely the right man as yet. But as long as we pick up enough points to stay up he won't be getting sacked. The debate will be raging again after any defeat or poor performance (especially by those keen to be proven right) but he'll have at least 12 months to get the team challenging at the top so it's kind of a irrelevant debate for now. 

24 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

I'm not sure that advocating 2 up front makes your point for you about it needing to be 442, seeing as other midfield formations are available!  Personally I just don't see 442 as a long term solution and I think we're a decent right back away from having good options to play 4 at the back with flexible formations ahead of that. 

As for Unsworth, I don't think there are any "inners" are there? Just those who thought he should be given time to build a squad and learn what works in this division. I don't think we've seen much to suggest he's definitely the right man as yet. But as long as we pick up enough points to stay up he won't be getting sacked. The debate will be raging again after any defeat or poor performance (especially by those keen to be proven right) but he'll have at least 12 months to get the team challenging at the top so it's kind of a irrelevant debate for now. 

Sutton given 8 out of 10 at right back in the non league paper.

29 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

Exactly that.  I don't think I've seen anyone claiming that he is definitely the right man for the job but there are plenty, me included, who crave some stability. That of course, takes a very distant second place to making sure we, at an absolute minimum, don't drop again.

4 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Sutton given 8 out of 10 at right back in the non league paper.

That's a very generous score. He was all at sea in the first half with the Dorking goal coming down our right flank, perhaps unsurprising given he was playing out of position, first game back after a fairly lengthy injury break and his relative youth and inexperience. Dorking offered much less going forward in the second half but still think that's an overly generous mark given the first half.

Archived