MATCH: Dorking Wanderers (A) 07/01/23

53 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Let’s not forget everyone. 

Shez had us in 14th playing 442 with a far inferior squad. 

IF Unsy sticks with 442 with much better players- logic says we’ll be fine. 

Think we all get the point your preference is 442.....🤔

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, Londonboy said:

Think we all get the point your preference is 442.....🤔

😁

I’m not wedded to it as a football fan, and in the top leagues with top players I get the argument it’s quite outdated. 

But

From league one down it’s the go to formation in my view, because the players aren’t intelligent or fit enough to see or implement in game changes. 

2 hours ago, League one forever said:

Let’s not forget everyone. 

Shez had us in 14th playing 442 with a far inferior squad. 

IF Unsy sticks with 442 with much better players- logic says we’ll be fine. 

Shez played a 5 at the back in pretty much every game didn't he?

Sharon was playing left CB in a 3 back then

8 hours ago, old codger said:

4 4 2 is the formation of the champions of the world

With arguably the best player in the world,  walking and playing where he liked.  With team mates capable of dealing with that.

However other than that,  you maybe correct. 

10 hours ago, latics22 said:

Would we have stayed up without an injured fondop? 

I think we would..

10 hours ago, daniel said:

We’d have stayed up if we scored than pen at home to Carlisle for me. 

No we wouldn't.  It was 0-0 at the time, we probably wouldn't have scored another before half-time and Carlisle scored twice in the second-half.

If games were 89 minutes long, we would've stayed up.

15 hours ago, Hemel latic said:

But the step down in opposition from last weekend was significant, loads more time on the ball, much less quality on the ball from them. They were a small team too, not much in the way of pace

Ok, they were not as good as County, but I thought that they played well to feet and retained it without resorting to hoofball. Heads up at all times and never stopped.

Much better opposition than some of the teams that smoked us completely last season.

10 hours ago, nzlatic said:

For the Unsworth outers, I’d probably save your breath. We have enough ability in the squad (especially up top) to get the points we need to stay up. So I don’t think relegation will be a real threat  and they’ll stick with him for at least another 12 months. I don’t think we played particularly good team football today but we applied pressure in the right areas and got rewarded. I’m fine with that for now, seen far too much winning the passing but not the points over the years!

Up to Unsworth to develop a consistently performing team and style over the next few months now. 

Agree with this. I’ve said before that I’m sure Frank & Co will expect us to pull away from the drop zone eventuality so will continue to back him, and envisage the recent signings improving as they settle in.

we need to use this a a springboard for the rest of the season and finish as high was we can. Next season there can be no excuses and we really should be challenging at the top, but for the time being Unsworth’s going nowhere.

11 minutes ago, Steve_R said:

we need to use this a a springboard for the rest of the season and finish as high was we can. Next season there can be no excuses and we really should be challenging at the top, but for the time being Unsworth’s going nowhere.

Seems to be a very astute summary of the situation.

A run of positive results now is necessary on both counts.

I felt David Unsworth had to show genuine improvement by January, or be at risk of the board making a forced change, which now appears to be going the right way for DU.

Foundations for next season surely comprise of a strong finish, plus a number of new signings, we are still short of a right back, more than one midfield player etc.

With all this achieved, I expect David Unsworth will have tough targets for next season, including being in touch with promotion (not adrift of the playoffs certainly) by this time next season.

I’m pleased with the result but the dorking view is they were in control and the loss was more their chronic defending which when their manager is 100% honest is probably the better view. Pleased we took advantage but there’s hardly any optimism when the manager talks about stumbling into a formation, still have no confidence he can manage but can now see us winning the odd game.  Good win, absolutely needed. Im going to enjoy the week and see what is churned out next 2.

Got to take this as a good win, it seems we took most of the chances we got although I didn’t see the whole game. I know they’re blighted with injuries but scoring 5 goals away tells me that something clicked yesterday for once 

12 hours ago, nzlatic said:

I don’t agree that 442 is the silver bullet. We had a centre back at right back and a centre mid at right mid and it showed. Their goal came from that side and we struggled for width because we don’t have wingers. 

There were a couple of differences in the performance today to what I last saw live a few weeks ago. Firstly the pressure on the ball was really good. Meant they struggled to create much clear cut after the goal and also gave us lots of counter opportunities. Secondly committing more forward against a weak defence. I still think this can be done with a front 3 if you have better players behind, but as we don’t, having a front 2 is crucial. 

For the Unsworth outers, I’d probably save your breath. We have enough ability in the squad (especially up top) to get the points we need to stay up. So I don’t think relegation will be a real threat  and they’ll stick with him for at least another 12 months. I don’t think we played particularly good team football today but we applied pressure in the right areas and got rewarded. I’m fine with that for now, seen far too much winning the passing but not the points over the years!

If we had a Kitching type on the right I think we could play 433 as Sheron did a good job as the holding mid in front of the defence. But if we want to be successful with 442 I think we need a centre mid and a right winger too. 

Up to Unsworth to develop a consistently performing team and style over the next few months now. 

I don’t agree with any of this.

No one said we have enough players to adequately have the right player for every position. Yesterday we had 9 players in a position they know well. The other two, Sutton did a job, (and Unsy has finally brought right back cover in Varney) and peck had his best game for us in my view. So again he did a job. 

You say it isn’t a sliver bullet, then my make my point above- by saying we don’t have the players for 433 so we need to play two up top. 😂 So . . we do need to play 442 then. 

The reason we are closer to the ball and the pressing is better is because there isn’t huge gaps between positions, or huge gaps between defence and midfield. Why? Because the players understand where they are supposed to be.  It’s two banks of four and is the oldest and simplest shape to play. Especially for a team lacking in confidence. 

Every single time we play a formation with a 3 or 5 in it- we get hammered. And it’s only until he switches to 442 that we start to look anywhere near half decent. IF he goes back to it, we’re screwed. 

For the Unsworth inners, don’t start getting giddy you were right along. We’ve a won game. Everyone is pleased, but let’s remember it was because of the backing many of us had an issue in the first place. IF we avoid relegation, he very cautiously gets next season. But let’s have it right- a finish of 18th is nothing to celebrate or pat him on the back for. He will have got out of jail by ‘stumbling on’ 442. 

26 minutes ago, Careca9 said:

I’m pleased with the result but the dorking view is they were in control and the loss was more their chronic defending which when their manager is 100% honest is probably the better view. Pleased we took advantage but there’s hardly any optimism when the manager talks about stumbling into a formation, still have no confidence he can manage but can now see us winning the odd game.  Good win, absolutely needed. Im going to enjoy the week and see what is churned out next 2.

I can’t accept the view that a team is “in control “ but defending doesn’t count in assessing that. If a team conceded five then there’s no control whatsoever. 

1 hour ago, mick26 said:

For future reference and for anyone who didn't pay to stream the game yesterday it seems that you can watch a full replay of the game without being logged into an account pretty much straight after it finishes!

Great tip.  Thanks.  👍

I’m very happy with the result, I’m pleased for all and hope we can keep winning. 

I am still a bit pissed off that he brought on a centre back for a striker with 15 mins to go and 5-1 up. We should have gone for more and brought on Abraham. Unsworth has no confidence at 5-1 up, but wants the players to play with confidence it would seem. 

5 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

I’m very happy with the result, I’m pleased for all and hope we can keep winning. 

I am still a bit pissed off that he brought on a centre back for a striker with 15 mins to go and 5-1 up. We should have gone for more and brought on Abraham. Unsworth has no confidence at 5-1 up, but wants the players to play with confidence it would seem. 

Not often you can give someone their debut whilst you are four goals up, don't think he needs bashing over the head for it.

Archived