Summer 2023 Player Signing News & Rumours

18 hours ago, L1onheartNew said:

The Aussies (and media) are arrogant pricks who think they have already won.

They also thought that they would walk the T20 world cup.

NSW thought that they would walk Origin 1 last night. Then the mighty QLD happened.

They never learn.

tbf l approach sport like an Aussie. l dont want us to twat them l want an even battle so lm glad theyre coming looking for a fight otherwise its boring.

4 minutes ago, welshgaz said:

Dan Ward rejects new deal at Gateshead….

Expected to sign for us according to Twitter. A fair few Gateshead fans saying good luck at OAFC on their twitter feed. Read somewhere else we’d signed 4 players already, all of whom had already had all the photos taken etc. Not at all in the know, just relaying what I read from social media. Obviously take with a pinch of salt. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, daniel said:

Expected to sign for us according to Twitter. A fair few Gateshead fans saying good luck at OAFC on their twitter feed. Read somewhere else we’d signed 4 players already, all of whom had already had all the photos taken etc. Not at all in the know, just relaying what I read from social media. Obviously take with a pinch of salt. 

I think that was the most miserable Oldham hating Oldham fan out there. He was taking the piss saying the delay in announcing the players was because they'd had pictures taken wearing the new kit, so we had to wait for the kit launch. I mean he could be right, but he's a ridiculous individual who's been in Yorkshire too long. 

42 minutes ago, bigfatjoe1 said:

I think that was the most miserable Oldham hating Oldham fan out there. He was taking the piss saying the delay in announcing the players was because they'd had pictures taken wearing the new kit, so we had to wait for the kit launch. I mean he could be right, but he's a ridiculous individual who's been in Yorkshire too long. 

What five minutes or so ?  😀

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GKing521 said:

Have we lost out to Gateshead on a signing then or was Booty never a target?

I don't think Booty fits in with the way we are going to set up, rightly or wrongly Unsworth will go with hard work over ability and he won't set a team up to carry players, that's why the likes of Burgess and Tollitt will be lucky to start games for us. Ward and Lundstum fit the profile and I can see us being a stronger and fitter outfit come the start of August.

There are a couple of highlight reels of Ward on YouTube and I think Reid will benefit most from him coming in as he can play that killer pass that a striker like Reid who plays off the last defender will thrive on. I also feel we may see Shelton as a RWB at some stage pre season.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, davidwilde said:

Booty shone in an extremely poor Maidstone team, however he’s no where near as good a player as Danny Ward at Gateshead. If we have signed Ward then it will be a great signing. 

Don’t know much about either to be honest but I’m assuming our people have done their homework 

Dan Ward

These of ourcourse are only highlights so don't give the full package but he does look like that proper number 8 we've been looking for, can shoot, can run, can tackle, can pass. He probably fits the kind of player Unsworth is probably looking for.

Edited by GlossopLatic

18 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

Dan Ward

These of ourcourse are only highlights so don't give the full package but he does look like that proper number 8 we've been looking for, can shoot, can run, can tackle, can pass. He probably fits the kind of player Unsworth is probably looking for.

This optimism about a predicted new signing goes all against our more usual pessimistic slating before they've even kicked a ball !!  😉

26 minutes ago, Bobledgersheart said:

This optimism about a predicted new signing goes all against our more usual pessimistic slating before they've even kicked a ball !!  😉

Tbf if you pulled together a 5 minute montage on youtube of Danny Whittakers Oldham career he would have looked like a world beater, as he fairly regularly scored some screamers.

We don't know if we will even sign him yet let alone if he will fit in. That said we've been crying out for a proper number 8 all season, and he looks like the type of player I'd want us to sign, so I will be cautiously optimistic.

Edited by GlossopLatic
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Bobledgersheart said:

Imagine if we’d signed a player from Gateshead in previous seasons. There’d have been uproar before he kicked a ball. 

9 minutes ago, daniel said:

Imagine if we’d signed a player from Gateshead in previous seasons. There’d have been uproar before he kicked a ball. 

there probably still would/will be, but it helps that a few of us have seen him play at least once. 

bc remember it only takes us one game to judge a player!

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Monty Burns said:

there probably still would/will be, but it helps that a few of us have seen him play at least once. 

You're exaggerating again Monty, a lot can form an opinion long before that !!  😜 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Monty Burns said:

Surely we only need 10 mins to judge a player and not the full game?

• Like 1