Summer 2023 Player Signing News & Rumours

9 minutes ago, Monty Burns said:

nice one lads.

our first friendly is the 8th l think, so l'd imagine three(ish) by then. lve also heard a possible rumour that we are still lookn at that guy called A.Trialist but don't quote me on that.

Trialist A will be brilliant and will sign for Leicester City immediately after the game. 

5 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Trialist A will be brilliant and will sign for Leicester City immediately after the game. 

l was at that match, he was top. whatever division we were in he would have destroyed it for six months and moved. he made the wrong decision, whatever he was called. think it had a K in it.

Edited by Monty Burns
punctuation

52 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Why July?  It's a 5 minute job on a computer these days. 

It's not. The computers can do it in a few minutes but the complexities have to be accounted for. If the computers were left to randomly allocate fixtures then there would be a chance Liverpool and Everton would both be at home on the weekend of the National. Or United and City would be at home to both Arsenal and Tottenham on the same weekend.

9 minutes ago, rudemedic said:

It's not. The computers can do it in a few minutes but the complexities have to be accounted for. If the computers were left to randomly allocate fixtures then there would be a chance Liverpool and Everton would both be at home on the weekend of the National. Or United and City would be at home to both Arsenal and Tottenham on the same weekend.

Not these days @rudemedic, as we have read Ai is taking over humans now. Wont be long before there's robot football teams programmed by Roy Keane. 😁

Edited by BP1960
  • Like 1

Always consider 8 (alongside 9) to be a forward (8 for Ritchie was always on the back of my shirt growing up). 11 and 7 left/right wingers... 4 defensive midfielder and 10 attacking midfielder. 5 and 6 centre halves.

Edited by longtimeblue
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Monty Burns said:

me too. l think it comes from Stevie G for England? just a theory that. l never wore lower than 7 so l didn't really look..

l bet you were number 10? maybe 11?

Ha. I did wear 10. 

Think I always based it on Latics' 91 team. Probably the last time I even looked at things like that. Henry at 4.

Assumed how it was then was how it would always be. Wrong on many levels.

Edited by longtimeblue
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, rudemedic said:

complexities have to be accounted for.

Rude is right.

There are a surprising number of constraints beyond the obvious 'close by clubs at home on the same day'. Clubs can be 'paired' with other clubs on request so that only one of them is at home. This can be for practical reasons eg they share stewards, or maybe even grounds from time to time. I think there are examples of 'paired clubs' where the smaller club is hoping to pick up fans from the better supported team when the better supported team is away. The pairs can be daisy chained so club A might be asked to be paired with club B who have asked to be paired with Club C etc.

I understand there is an attempt to minimize travel over the Christmas break although it might not feel like that if you are the closest club in the league to Plymouth, Carlisle or Norwich etc

I think there is also a Transport Police review looking at flows of fans at key stations

The leagues have different numbers of games and there are international breaks etc

You could write a programme to do this but you would have to make significant changes each year once the playoffs were decided.

8 hours ago, longtimeblue said:

Always consider 8 (alongside 9) to be a forward (8 for Ritchie was always on the back of my shirt growing up). 11 and 7 left/right wingers... 4 defensive midfielder and 10 attacking midfielder. 5 and 6 centre halves.

5 was usually the big stopper and 6 the cultured one. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, rudemedic said:

I could create an Excel file to avoid that in 10 minutes, never mind anything written by someone competent!

19 hours ago, Longlostfan said:

Rude is right.

There are a surprising number of constraints beyond the obvious 'close by clubs at home on the same day'. Clubs can be 'paired' with other clubs on request so that only one of them is at home. This can be for practical reasons eg they share stewards, or maybe even grounds from time to time. I think there are examples of 'paired clubs' where the smaller club is hoping to pick up fans from the better supported team when the better supported team is away. The pairs can be daisy chained so club A might be asked to be paired with club B who have asked to be paired with Club C etc.

I understand there is an attempt to minimize travel over the Christmas break although it might not feel like that if you are the closest club in the league to Plymouth, Carlisle or Norwich etc

I think there is also a Transport Police review looking at flows of fans at key stations

The leagues have different numbers of games and there are international breaks etc

You could write a programme to do this but you would have to make significant changes each year once the playoffs were decided.

You codify that as data and then tell the system what can and can't happen - I am sure (because this is English football we're talking about) that it's done by a string of manual and complex processes. But technology has been capable of doing far more complicated things than "IF Everton = HOME, THEN Liverpool != HOME" for at least 30 years.

• Like 1

https://www.oldhamathletic.co.uk/news/2023/june/06062023-josh-lundstram/

Lundstram confirmed.

What I like about the sort of signings we're making these days is that a lot of them look like the right age and on the right stage of their development to stick with us as we (hopefully) climb the leagues. Hopefully we'll start to see some long term fan favourites again.

Edited by nzlatic
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

https://www.oldhamathletic.co.uk/news/2023/june/06062023-josh-lundstram/

Lundstram confirmed.

What I like about the sort of signings we're making these days is that a lot of them look like the right age and on the right stage of their development to stick with us as we (hopefully) climb the leagues. Hopefully we'll start to see some long term fan favourites again.

It’s almost like some thought and planning go into it. 😁

• Like 2