Summer 2023 Player Signing News & Rumours

if lve never heard of him or its from a club below us he's shite. 

if its a kid on loan l'll give him 15mins if it's one of our own l'll give him two touches.

and if its a player lve heard of or a signing for cash then l'll give em a half.

if hes foreign l dont even try.

• Like 3

• Matt pinned, unpinned and featured this topic
4 hours ago, GlossopLatic said:

Tbf if you pulled together a 5 minute montage on youtube of Danny Whittakers Oldham career he would have looked like a world beater, as he fairly regularly scored some screamers.

We don't know if we will even sign him yet let alone if he will fit in. That said we've been crying out for a proper number 8 all season, and he looks like the type of player I'd want us to sign, so I will be cautiously optimistic.

I still remember the “is he better than Wellens” thread 🤣

• Like 2

10 hours ago, GlossopLatic said:

Dan Ward

he does look like that proper number 8 we've been looking for, can shoot, can run, can tackle, can pass. 

I think I know what you mean by a proper number 8, but can you give a non numerical description please. Especially given one of our greatest ever players wore 8 as a second striker and he was captained by a yard dog midfielder wearing 10, both in the days of players wearing 1 to 11.

Furthermore unless Dan Gardner is leaving this Dan Ward won't be wearing 8 anyway.

2 hours ago, Monty Burns said:

in chlichéd parlance- 'a hard working box to box midfielder, with an eye for a pass, that chips in with his share of goals and assists.'

As opposed to a No.10 who is generally skilful but a lazy sod considered to be a luxury item/passenger.  A No.8 was an inside right when I was growing up.

Edited by Dave_Og

7 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

As opposed to a No.10 who is generally skilful but a lazy sod considered to be a luxury item/passenger.  A No.8 was an inside right when I was growing up.

But do we need a number 6 as well? 😉

1 hour ago, Dave_Og said:

This is where this numbers lark gets confusing.

I was a No.8 who played like a No.10, especially the "lazy sod" bit !  😆

9 hours ago, rudemedic said:

I think I know what you mean by a proper number 8, but can you give a non numerical description please. Especially given one of our greatest ever players wore 8 as a second striker and he was captained by a yard dog midfielder wearing 10, both in the days of players wearing 1 to 11.

Furthermore unless Dan Gardner is leaving this Dan Ward won't be wearing 8 anyway.

I suppose it's modern terminology to describe players like this

A classic Number 8 would be someone like a Bryan Robson Steven Gerrard Frank Lampard who goes box to box pulls the strings and does abit of everything in times gone by he would be described as a midfield general.

Dan Gardner can do that sometimes but unfortunately he gets injured alot I suppose the best example in recent times for us would be Dale Stephens and further back Neil Redfearn. 

Edited by GlossopLatic

2 hours ago, TheBigDog said:

From The Oldham Times June 1st:

“And Latics are looking to get at least one deal done before the end of next week.”

Its going to take time…

They're in the unusual position of actually having a spine/core group of players already at the club, so there's no scrambling around trying to buy an entire squad like most seasons. Hopefully this means they have more time to find quality over quantity...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TheBigDog said:

“And Latics are looking to get at least one deal done before the end of next week.”

Its going to take time…

Which on the face of it is weird given we were being told most of the business was actually done.....

3 hours ago, TheBigDog said:

Its going to take time…

aye. do we even know what date the fixtures are out yet?

it would have to be a pretty good contract offer to get somebody signed up this early.

not ruling out a sneaky one just random announced at any moment, tho. kind of exepcting it based on absolutely nothing..

1 hour ago, GlossopLatic said:

I suppose it's modern terminology to describe players like this

A classic Number 8 would be someone like a Bryan Robson Steven Gerrard Frank Lampard who goes box to box pulls the strings and does abit of everything in times gone by he would be described as a midfield general.

Dan Gardner can do that sometimes but unfortunately he gets injured alot I suppose the best example in recent times for us would be Dale Stephens and further back Neil Redfearn. 

basically, Nick Henry plus goals!

4 minutes ago, Monty Burns said:

aye. do we even know what date the fixtures are out yet?

it would have to be a pretty good contract offer to get somebody signed up this early.

not ruling out a sneaky one just random announced at any moment, tho. kind of exepcting it based on absolutely nothing..

Think they are out on the 22nd June

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, kev1970 said:

Think they are out on the 22nd June

Could be wrong but I think thats just PL and EFL, i’m sure I read July 6th or thereabouts for fixture release in NL

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, daniel said:

Could be wrong but I think thats just PL and EFL, i’m sure I read July 6th or thereabouts for fixture release in NL

Why July?  It's a 5 minute job on a computer these days. 

54 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

I've never forgiven him for denying me and a mate our rightful first prize in a golf competition at Sadddleworth when he was captain in about 1978!

Did you appeal?