MATCH: vs Boreham Wood (A) 26/08/23

1 hour ago, Londonboy said:

Totally different scenario.

If the players can come over for a quick acknowledgment then so can Unsworth. 

He'd be over if we'd won no doubt ...

Take it you enjoyed yesterday.?

I didn't. We were crap! Again!

No it is not a different scenario. 

Fans cannot be on his back and then demand he comes over and clap them. Life doesn't work like that.

If we had won yesterday I doubt the fans would have been on his back as much. So he may well have come over.

I thought we were professional yesterday against a side well fancied to do well this season having done well last season. I think the last Oldham I enjoyed was the 5-1 win at Dorking, or the 3-2 wins against Eastleigh and Dorking last season.

I don't expect to enjoy Oldham games, but I do expect to see reasoning in the tactics and the like. I saw that yesterday. You can sometimes have both, but I'd rather have the second one if it's a choice of one or the other.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, mcfluff1985 said:

Still waiting for the same piss boil we'd have seen if it was Nuttall missing from a yard out, not Norwood...

Norwood has 3 in 5 which is pretty fair return considering we have no midfield, think Haaland missed a penalty today, I presume he's shit in your book.

26 minutes ago, Wardie said:

the video being shot in stop-motion

that prevented me from watching!!

🚨Monty type anecdote warning. when l was about four l was on a bus and somebody threw up. my gran explained it away as 'travel sickness'. in those days we werent allowed to ask questions (at least not in public) and l could never find answers to my questions and decided it was made up until an  'experiment' when l was about five made me understand the practicalities (but not the theory) of it.

l was twelve when l grasped the theory (big school had a library) not long afterwards l understood adults tell white lies to kids (the guy was an unkempt piss can) and it was also around this age l realised not all kids underwent such regular official themed tests and experiment type things as children. still, loadsa kids got bummed so at least l got away from that stuff 🤣

Edited by Monty Burns
grammar. which is ironic really bc its littered. but.

1 hour ago, rudemedic said:

No it is not a different scenario. 

Fans cannot be on his back and then demand he comes over and clap them. Life doesn't work like that.

If we had won yesterday I doubt the fans would have been on his back as much. So he may well have come over.

I thought we were professional yesterday against a side well fancied to do well this season having done well last season. I think the last Oldham I enjoyed was the 5-1 win at Dorking, or the 3-2 wins against Eastleigh and Dorking last season.

I don't expect to enjoy Oldham games, but I do expect to see reasoning in the tactics and the like. I saw that yesterday. You can sometimes have both, but I'd rather have the second one if it's a choice of one or the other.

Not sure you were at the same game as most posters on this thread!

"We were professional" ?.At what?

You saw "reasoning in the tactics"? What tactics??

I'd love to know!!

1 hour ago, Londonboy said:

Not sure you were at the same game as most posters on this thread!

"We were professional" ?.At what?

You saw "reasoning in the tactics"? What tactics??

I'd love to know!!

Tactics not too lose are still tactics. We were professional in not letting them score while trying to score ourselves.

Playing for a 0-0 isn’t popular but it can be effective. I saw us with a game plan yesterday and we did the job that game plan had in mind, just because you think it is wrong doesn’t mean it is.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, rudemedic said:

Tactics not too lose are still tactics. We were professional in not letting them score while trying to score ourselves.

Playing for a 0-0 isn’t popular but it can be effective. I saw us with a game plan yesterday and we did the job that game plan had in mind, just because you think it is wrong doesn’t mean it is.

I think it’s wrong. Oh, and boring 😮

11 minutes ago, rudemedic said:

I know we've been starved of success Ben, but surely a bit of entertainment wouldn't go amiss. 

• Like 1

I was upbeat yesterday when walking out. Which is different to how I would have felt in previous seasons. 

The reason being I’m now looking at results in the context of a promotion season. So a point in those circumstances is a good one as far as I’m concerned. 

When the result of the game had little or no impact on the season (which is most games I’ve seen over the last 20 years) I was more bothered about the win or the quality. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, disjointed said:

I know we've been starved of success Ben, but surely a bit of entertainment wouldn't go amiss. 

Yeah indeed and I think winning 5-1 at home was presumably very entertaining. I'd rather play for a 0-0 draw away against 2 decent sides at this level and be bored silly. Than be entertaining and lose 5-4.

I don't expect us to play for a 0-0 every game away either.

9 minutes ago, rudemedic said:

Yeah indeed and I think winning 5-1 at home was presumably very entertaining. I'd rather play for a 0-0 draw away against 2 decent sides at this level and be bored silly. Than be entertaining and lose 5-4.

I missed the 5-1, holidays take a preference, I am hoping that Solihull will be a true test of where we are, Gateshead away is just my excuse to have a good time in the Toon. 

1 hour ago, rudemedic said:

Why can’t we be entertaining and win?

Edited by Steve_R
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Steve_R said:

Why can’t we be entertaining and win?

ffs weve been neither for 30 years and entertaining for about one year combined during it. lets get behind this plan thats got winning at the end of it and worry about entertaining when we get there!!!!!

christ almighty.

lm not even christianic for gods sake.

Edited by Monty Burns
*behind

4 minutes ago, Monty Burns said:

ffs weve been neither for 30 years and entertaining for about one year combined during it. lets get behind this plan thats got winning at the end of it and worry about entertaining when we get there!!!!!

christ almighty.

Going to link 2 threads here and say under Johnson we were winning and entertaining (I'm not calling for Johnson to be manager with this statement). 

34 minutes ago, Monty Burns said:

christ almighty.

So it can’t happen then? If we ever get a winning team we have to accept it’s going to be boring, and if it’s entertaining we must be shit. Is that how it works?

8 minutes ago, Steve_R said:

So it can’t happen then? If we ever get a winning team we have to accept it’s going to be boring, and if it’s entertaining we must be shit. Is that how it works?

no we are shit and have been for 30 years but Franks got a plan so lets trust him

• Like 1