MATCH: vs Boreham Wood (A) 26/08/23

I’m ok with drawing away at BW, and think the reaction has been a bit over the top. I was there today and anyone who says we set up to draw is simply wrong. Not saying we were good, because we weren’t, and it was still boring tactics for the most part, but we created a number of chances today. 
The thing that really pisses me off though are DU’s interviews post game, i agree with some of what he says but he’s delusional if he thinks we had the better chances and that they only had 1 great chance. Stop talking bollocks, because we could have scored 2 or 3 but they easily had the better chances and should have scored a few.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, kowenicki said:

Why will we? Based on what? Results are actually BETTER than performances. Worrying. We don’t deserve the 5 points we have. We should be on 3. 

I agree with you and I’m no fan of his, but we have a run of fixtures coming up in Sept and Oct that it will be practically impossible for us not to pick up a good number of points that will see us move up the table towards or into the playoffs.

For me, that’s not enough if we are not challenging for the title, but hovering around Seventh place will keep his supporters happy and him in a job.

I’m not at the ‘sack him’ stage yet, mainly because I just don’t see it happening so am still hoping he can turn it round, but how anyone can say he’s doing a good job is beyond me.

Edited by Steve_R
  • Like 2

Just now, Steve_R said:

I agree with you and I’m no fan of his, but we have a run of fixtures coming up in Sept and Oct that it will be practically impossible for us not to pick up a good number of points that will see us move up the table towards or into the playoffs.

For me, that’s not enough if we are not challenging for the title, but hovering around Seventh place will  his keep his supporters happy and him in a job.

I’m not at the ‘sack him’ stage yet, mainly because I just don’t see it happening so am still hoping he can turn it round, but how anyone can say he’s doing a good job is beyond me.

“practically impossible”

do you know David Unsworth? 😁

Listen, I hope you are right… but this guy looks like he can do the practically impossible. 

28 minutes ago, Ritchierich said:

That was another painful, turgid performance. I have pretty much written this season off after only 5 games because it is absolutely clear to me that Unsworth is categorically not capable of managing a professional football team. 

The first half was utterly appalling, we had 1 shot as far as I can remember and the body language and lack of energy from the players was utterly extraordinary. Kitching looked so miserable I thought he had just received some devastating news!

Hogan and Raglan don’t seem to communicate and we could easily have conceded two or three. Norwood tried hard but he is living off scraps as we have almost no interest in getting forward as a team…only Green showed any attacking intent.

After the break big Mike did his usual excellent off the bench contribution and we improved further when Gardener came on and showed those muppets Sheron and Shelton how a midfielder should play. However, we still failed to trouble their keeper much apart from a rasping Dickerson effort and the goal mouth scramble at the death.

Overall, it was another desperately poor effort from a supposedly promotion challenging squad and one of, if not, the highest budgets in the league.

Unsworth and Ebrell have had over 40 games in charge and I have seen nothing to suggest they have what it takes to get this squad firing on all cylinders…on the contrary I fear they are wasting a huge opportunity and actually making players worse.

This league is bang average this season and there are very few grounds that we should see as having any kind of home advantage….consider today; the crowd was 1208 with 426 from Latics….so less than 800 home fans!!!! 

Rhino ball is awful to watch and it is not winning football.

Pretty much describes the game I saw down there today. Thought Norwood and Fondop were a bit getting in each others way at times when we did get forward but paucity of service probably meant they were inevitably in the same area when the ball was delivered forward. Sheron and Shelton, everything was largely sideways and backwards, again. Laughable Green was hooked for Gardner to come on instead of one of those two. I was sat level with Borehamwoods box and second half we had a throw in front of me that ended up back on the edge of our box within 10 seconds. Didn't see it as the end to end game some have on here but hey we all see it through our own lens. Nephew told me as I drove home if we don't win Monday his first 6 games this season will have yielded less points in the first 6 games than Shez last season that earned him the sack. Young uns and the internet eh, not looked it up so if it's wrong I'll thrash him within an inch of his life before the game.

Edited by Inspectormorose.
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

🫨🫨🫨🫨

What I don't understand is --listening to his post match interview he sounds really positive and pleased with the 🎭 result and contrary to all the fans opinions on here and on twitter we all think differently. Is he correct about today's match and are we wrong? He says anybody can beat anybody in this division.So why have we only won one match so far?Chesterfield showed today that they're probably not going to run away with this division as we were afraid.

With the right manager we could do really well.Are we fans so stupid and naive to not see how well he's doing?Only time will tell but Monday will be interesting because in David's words anybody can beat anybody and we're due another win. More chances not taken, another bad ref will not wash with me anymore.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, diggleblue said:

What I don't understand is --listening to his post match interview he sounds really positive and pleased with the 🎭 result and contrary to all the fans opinions on here and on twitter we all think differently. Is he correct about today's match and are we wrong? He says anybody can beat anybody in this division.So why have we only won one match so far?Chesterfield showed today that they're probably not going to run away with this division as we were afraid.

With the right manager we could do really well.Are we fans so stupid and naive to not see how well he's doing?Only time will tell but Monday will be interesting because in David's words anybody can beat anybody and we're due another win. More chances not taken, another bad ref will not wash with me anymore.

You can't kid the fans, although Royle and Unsworth think you can.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Littlemoor Lad said:

You might of been, the manager and team most certainly weren't 

I'll be honest with you, we're nowhere near and Monday will expose that even further.

At what stage will you accept this is becoming a farce and change is needed?

My guess is never, you'll still be saying the same when we're repeating the same shite next season down here.

For me he has 15 games and if it has carried on results wise I'd take a punt and change manager

1 hour ago, kowenicki said:

Why will we? Based on what? Results are actually BETTER than performances. Worrying. We don’t deserve the 5 points we have. We should be on 3. 

We could have been on more than we are. Football innit. 

1 hour ago, Inspectormorose. said:

Laughable Green was hooked for Gardner to come on instead of one of those two. 

Just back from a hamstring injury. Sensible

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, mcfluff1985 said:

For me he has 15 games and if it has carried on results wise I'd take a punt and change manager

We could have been on more than we are. Football innit. 

Just back from a hamstring injury. Sensible

On Green if he'd have looked uncomfortable or if it looked like it was troubling him in any way I agree, but it didn't. He just decided to take our most forward thinking midfield player when we had the ball off the pitch and leave the negative twins on.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, inspectormorose said:

On Green if he'd have looked uncomfortable or if it looked like it was troubling him in any way I agree, but it didn't. He just decided to take our most forward thinking midfield player when we had the ball off the pitch and leave the negative twins on.

He had to take Green off after an hour in fairness.

6 minutes ago, inspectormorose said:

Why? General feeling around us was why and he didn't look like he had any issues.

Because regardless of whether you could see any physical issues, his body has recently recovered from a hamstring injury. If he over does it, gets injured he’s out for another 6 to 8 weeks.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, rudemedic said:

So a side that finished 6th last season and had made some shrewd signings, the impressive Balanta from Dagenham included, is going to finish mid table?

Sorry no.

We shall see in April. 

I saw nothing that anyone in this league has to fear today.

Maybe if they are all fit it could change, so I stand corrected if they finish any higher 

1 hour ago, inspectormorose said:

Because that's what you do when someone has been out with that sort of injury. Don't just chuck em straight in for 90 mins

• Like 1

Good point away from home again . Not many teams will get a point there, Wrexham and Notts managed it last season but failed to keep a clean sheet. These finished 6th last season so to call them a pub team is really disrespectful . Some comments on here laughable and smack of people who didnt see the game (I did again)  just taking other peoples comments and adding to it. Would have taken a point at Chesterfied and today before a ball was kicked . This leagues going to be a lot tighter than last year by the looks.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, inspectormorose said:

Why? General feeling around us was why and he didn't look like he had any issues.

general looks and feels from those around you mean fuckall, especially if those around you are Latics fans. who have had a drink. he's literally just back from a bloody hamstring injury!!

8 minutes ago, Monty Burns said:

general looks and feels from those around you mean fuckall, especially if those around you are Latics fans. who have had a drink. he's literally just back from a bloody hamstring injury!!

I'm sure Latics fans would have been very forgiving of Unsworth if he'd kept him on and he'd got injured in the 89th min 🤣

26 minutes ago, marhar said:

I'm sure Latics fans would have been very forgiving of Unsworth if he'd kept him on and he'd got injured in the 89th min 🤣

thats probs why a couple were upset because they were looking forward to getting home, dialling up thr interweb and making that very complaint probs starting along the lines of 'now lm no medical proffessional but..'

• Like 1

3 hours ago, penrhyn said:

Good point away from home again . Not many teams will get a point there, Wrexham and Notts managed it last season but failed to keep a clean sheet. These finished 6th last season so to call them a pub team is really disrespectful . Some comments on here laughable and smack of people who didnt see the game (I did again)  just taking other peoples comments and adding to it. Would have taken a point at Chesterfied and today before a ball was kicked . This leagues going to be a lot tighter than last year by the looks.

They have lost alot of that playoff team from last year and replaced them with very mediocre players according to their forums site. And yes they are a pub team.