MATCH: Solihull Moors (H) 28/08/23

3 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

That’s more than fair Monty. We need to keep him on the pitch. He was limping yesterday and looked absolutely goosed about 65min in. So let’s see if he’s in the squad next weekend. 

l probs wouldnt have played him for 90 but we are a bit stretched in there so. he's back in the frame in a big way anyway, he was an afterthought in the summer but circumstance has presented an opportunity as it often can do in Football..

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lags said:

I will be amazed if Fondop starts another match this season. Providing DU stays in charge.

For me it really begs the question if you can't trust a senior player after a one minute booking, when can you trust him to be introduced?

Well that’s the thing with Fondop, his main attribute is his physicality so you take that edge away from him, you lose the main part of his game. 

He also proved his not the most rationale of blokes. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LightDN123 said:

Well that’s the thing with Fondop, his main attribute is his physicality so you take that edge away from him, you lose the main part of his game. 

He also proved his not the most rationale of blokes. 

I can 100% agree with that post

• Like 1

DU would have sent the ground into meltdown if he’d subbed Fondop within a minute. He has to be able to trust him to at least get to half time without another booking. He’s a professional footballer FFS.

I wish we’d be more gun-ho before setting up defensively to protect a lead. But I think the club’s pinned their hopes on Lundstram and Ward being the creativity in midfield, and that’s gone tits up early-doors. Dickenson has been ok though. Still, signing all these forwards is giving the impression you’re going to at least go for it in games.

If you give the manager abuse face-to-face in the stand and he gives it you some back I’m not sure you can whinge.

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

I said after the red card he would never play for me again. Admittedly, I did not say it when I said I would take him off after the first yellow. 

Like I said above, the reason for taking him off was there, and it’s a valid reason in my opinion. After the game, it’s managements job to then sit down with Fondop, explain why he had to take him off and provide rationale for his decision. If Fondop doesn’t like it, then so be it, the club comes first and the priority in that moment for me was a result. The best way to get that result, was by taking Fondop off. 

So would he have played for me again after the yellow and me taking him off, yes. But a conversation would have been had and he has to learn. After the red now, na, he wouldn’t be in a match day squad for a long time for me, if at all. 

I can see where you're coming from. How frustrating that this should even be a discussion, you have a player so volatile that you potentially either have to waste a sub early on or risk a red card because they can't control themselves. Would happily never see him play for us again, not like we're struggling for strikers anymore. 

2 minutes ago, ShireBlue said:

DU would have sent the ground into meltdown if he’d subbed Fondop within a minute. He has to be able to trust him to at least get to half time without another booking. He’s a professional footballer FFS.

I wish we’d be more gun-ho before setting up defensively to protect a lead. But I think the club’s pinned their hopes on Lundstram and Ward being the creativity in midfield, and that’s gone tits up early-doors. Dickenson has been ok though. Still, signing all these forwards is giving the impression you’re going to at least go for it in games.

If you give the manager abuse face-to-face in the stand and he gives it you some back I’m not sure you can whinge.

I don’t agree that the ground would be in meltdown. It doesn’t take much to rationalise in your head why he might take him off. 

The pressure on Lundstram who not even be match fit when being brought back in is immense. I doubt he will be the full answer to this midfield issue. 

3 minutes ago, Guy Branston Pickle said:

I can see where you're coming from. How frustrating that this should even be a discussion, you have a player so volatile that you potentially either have to waste a sub early on or risk a red card because they can't control themselves. Would happily never see him play for us again, not like we're struggling for strikers anymore. 

Yeah I think 5 strikers is excessive. We also have Hope, Green and Tollitt who could fill in up front in the unlikely event the 4 we have (without Fondop) are not available. 

30 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

I would have yeah, I don’t trust Fondop on a yellow. His main part of his game is being physical and he’s proved he has no discipline. I also felt the importance of that game on my future if I was in Unswroths position, and would I trust Mikey to not get a yellow ? No, I personally wouldn’t. 

If after the game I got slated for it by fans because we lost. Well, I would say it’s silly from Mike to do that in the first minute and he has let the team down previously. - it justifies what admittedly, is not a routine decision. 

You may not agree. But the fact is, if he had done that, we would have played the full game with 11 men. 

Anyways, as someone pointed out, he got away with a few before he was actually sent off. So there was plenty of time between the first yellow and the eventual second for a decision to be made. Unsy was too slow, or maybe trusted a player he shouldn’t have. He got it wrong for me. 

If he has to be subbed any time he gets a yellow then he's unselectable

19 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

So you'd have to realistically be of the opinion that Fondop should never play for us again? You can't put someone on the pitch who you have to immediately substitute if they get a yellow card, that's bonkers.

I know you're not asking me, but I am certainly of the opinion he should never play for the club again. Three times he has cost us with a stupid red card (OK, we were already adrift at Wrexham) and he should be farmed out to Chester City at the earliest opportunity...

Anyhow, can we talk about the main issue that Unsworth has openly said his favoured formation is 433 but he’s signed 5 strikers and not enough wingers to play his system ?

Or the fact he’s signed a left winger and has played him centre mid ?

Or the fact we have overloaded the number of centre backs we have?

or the fact we scrambled around for a right back and left it so late we have one that’s not fit ?

Or the fact we signed Ward who is the answer to our centre mid problems but isn’t a centre mid ?

Or axing a player who got player of the season and scored 20goals in this league ? - (He’s a gobshite but could be managed effectively) 

Or the fact he signed Reid, but then got Nuttall, so doesn’t want Reid, but now doesn’t know where to play Nuttall because he got Norwood gifted to him ?

The fact he chased Kurt for 8 months but plays him out of position? 

The fact he gave Tollitt a two year contract and cant get him in the squad ?

The fact he gave gave Hope and extra year and can’t make the squad ? 

The fact he played Sutton at right wing back in the first game ?

The fact he said he wants to play fast dynamic football but we rarely get out our half ?

The fact the amount of games we have controlled can be counted on one hand ?

That’s just the playing side issues I have with him. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

I know you're not asking me, but I am certainly of the opinion he should never play for the club again. Three times he has cost us with a stupid red card (OK, we were already adrift at Wrexham) and he should be farmed out to Chester City at the earliest opportunity...

For me he's last in the queue when it comes to the strikers. I'm not sure why Nuttall didn't start instead seeing as he only had 45 mins on Saturday.

I was more making the point that you could never play him because he has to be taken off the moment he gets a yellow. Which would be daft, you can't have a player on the books like that. However, there are many other reasons why you could argue he shouldn't play for us again!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

If he has to be subbed any time he gets a yellow then he's unselectable

I agree to an extent. But I think there is a difference between getting a yellow card in the first few seconds of the game, and in the 70th minute. 

Clearly shows his head wasn’t in it to me.

But if he didn’t play for us again then that’s fine. He’s technically absolutely shite. He still brings something positive to the team though. 

1 minute ago, LightDN123 said:

Anyhow, can we talk about the main issue that Unsworth has openly said his favoured formation is 433 but he’s signed 5 strikers and not enough wingers to play his system ?

Or the fact he’s signed a left winger and has played him centre mid ?

Or the fact we have overloaded the number of centre backs we have?

or the fact we scrambled around for a right back and left it so late we have one that’s not fit ?

Or the fact we signed Ward who is the answer to our centre mid problems but isn’t a centre mid ?

Or axing a player who got player of the season and scored 20goals in this league ? - (He’s a gobshite but could be managed effectively) 

Or the fact he signed Reid, but then got Nuttall, so doesn’t want Reid, but now doesn’t know where to play Nuttall because he got Norwood gifted to him ?

The fact he chased Kurt for 8 months but plays him out of position? 

The fact he gave Tollitt a two year contract and cant get him in the squad ?

The fact he gave gave Hope and extra year and can’t make the squad ? 

The fact he played Sutton at right wing back in the first game ?

The fact he said he wants to play fast dynamic football but we rarely get out our half ?

The fact the amount of games we have controlled can be counted on one hand ?

That’s just the playing side issues I have with him. 

On the signings front, I think it's probably as simple as the new recruitment structure they have put in place is still in its infancy and so hasn't had time to develop into something more productive. Raglan and Norwood in particular were probably not on the radar when we signed Hobson and Willoughby. But the club felt they probably couldn't turn them down.

The RB/RWB thing is the most concerning though - it was an obvious hole in our squad that should have been filled well before the season started.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, nzlatic said:

On the signings front, I think it's probably as simple as the new recruitment structure they have put in place is still in its infancy and so hasn't had time to develop into something more productive. Raglan and Norwood in particular were probably not on the radar when we signed Hobson and Willoughby. But the club felt they probably couldn't turn them down.

The RB/RWB thing is the most concerning though - it was an obvious hole in our squad that should have been filled well before the season started.

Then agents will be all over us if we are just signing players with a reputation. No excuse for me that. 

The right back situation is a disgrace. 

4 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

I agree to an extent. But I think there is a difference between getting a yellow card in the first few seconds of the game, and in the 70th minute. 

Clearly shows his head wasn’t in it to me.

But if he didn’t play for us again then that’s fine. He’s technically absolutely shite. He still brings something positive to the team though. 

I still feel with him on the pitch something always likely to happen, aswell as sending offs obviously 😂. He’s more spirited than Nuttall, positives and negatives with that. But he does have some decent touches on him and can win a header and I think him and Norwood together could cause some real mischief . 

I’m still fucked off from yesterday and genuinely absolutely gutted with the position we find ourselves in with all the pre season optimism.

A mate of mine actually responded to my pre season optimism by saying, can’t wait for you to be 10 games in and complaining you are shite. I said no way that happens this year it’s a different Oldham team and feel…. 

Sorry guys for any ranting, appreciate the debate. I’m logging off for a few hours. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

I’m still fucked off from yesterday and genuinely absolutely gutted with the position we find ourselves in with all the pre season optimism.

A mate of mine actually responded to my pre season optimism by saying, can’t wait for you to be 10 games in and complaining you are shite. I said no way that happens this year it’s a different Oldham team and feel…. 

Sorry guys for any ranting, appreciate the debate. I’m logging off for a few hours. 

passion. you did well. 

enjoy sunday, go outside!!

l might even do the same, see you back on here tomoro/later!!!!

31 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

I don’t agree that the ground would be in meltdown. It doesn’t take much to rationalise in your head why he might take him off. 

Fair dos pal. It’s just the ground is becoming a tinderbox now, and doing that would have ran the risk of lighting it 45 seconds into the game. (As oppose to 37 minutes. Lol.) 👍🏼

Fondop now has 3 red cards in 18 games. It's unacceptable, and he will surely be bottom of the pecking order now, if not shipped out. 

Yesterday was my first game of the season. The football is so difficult to watch, especially in midfield. Shelton and Sheron are so poor on the ball, and Gardner was only fractionally better, although at least he looks forward. 

The real low point of yesterday was the period of 15 minutes after their first, where we completely sat off them, no pressing, no effort at winning the ball back, which (rightly or wrongly) turned the crowd, and sucked any prospect of getting back into the game away. 

I also thought the shape was very odd after half time. Green and Dickenson were sensible subs, but giving Green a free role up front with Reid put us in a strange shape, when four across the midfield would have given us a better structure. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, nzlatic said:

I'm not sure about Gardner. I think he does a good job of picking the ball up off the defence and looking to move the ball forward or out wide. Which is an upgrade to an extent. But I didn't see him do that much in effective areas in the final third. It may just be that I didn't notice it, but it seemed that he often over or under hit the passes in those areas and wasting an opportunity rather than releasing Reid or Willoughby who were running behind.

I'm not convinced he's the answer to our midfield problems.

You’re correct. His passing in the first half was poor, constantly over hitting. He got booked for his one and only attempt at a tackle and he vanished for the last 25 minutes of the first half. He improved slightly in the second half.

He’s nowhere near as good as some here believe him to be. 

1 hour ago, Guy Branston Pickle said:

Would happily never see him play for us again, not like we're struggling for strikers anymore. 

I've always said I think he should only be used as an impact substitute against physical teams. Last season at home to Woking, they were starting to bully us so his introduction put their big centre half sprawling over the touchline and saw the game out against the third best side in the league. However, against technically good, passing opposition, he'd not even be on the bench if all our strikers are fit. I'd rather have Hallam Hope for that job, who's a bit more trustworthy but less of a goal threat.

He's proved time and again he's a liability, but that risk is completely minimised when used with 30 minutes or less left. I love him for the effort he puts in, and by all accounts he's good for dressing room morale but there's no way he's starting another match under DU an probably the incoming manager down the line. 

18 hours ago, JoeP said:

In his defence, we actually were pretty unlucky today. How have Reid and Shelton missed in the first-half.

This has to be it for him, though. 

Gate was down, atmosphere was flat. The feel-good factor needs a revival...

I get that but equally, they had a clear-cut penalty in the first half and our keeper made one or two decent saves, Unsworth comes out with this all the time never ever does he seem to take into account the amount of chances the opposition has as well.