The Next Oldham Manager

28 minutes ago, Hemel latic said:

You say that but it was often levelled at Unsworth that he had no rapport with the fans. Personally I'm not too bothered about that kind of stuff in some ways but I think being a good media performer is indicative of other personal qualities. I also think that as a community club our manager has to be able to engage with our supporters and with the Oldham community.

As people have said, the issue wasn't his interviews, or him being unlikeable or being to old or to tall. Lack of wins is the be all and end all

20 minutes ago, mcfluff1985 said:

As people have said, the issue wasn't his interviews, or him being unlikeable or being to old or to tall. Lack of wins is the be all and end all

Alex Ferguson wasn't exactly known for his good media skills and for being a likeable guy was he 

1 hour ago, Hemel latic said:

Apologies, don't think I've expressed it very well. I would include a rep, or reps, of the supporters and it would be about getting a fan's perspective on the candidates, also to see how the candidates interact with fans. Completely agree that a a consensus from the whole fanbase on the new appointment would be madness.

Couple of energetic fist pumps* after a hard fought 1-0 away end and they'd be putty in the hands. Football really is that fickle.

*Energetic fist pumps supported Blink 182 on their recent tour.

Edited by Frankly Mr Shankly
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, kowenicki said:

Scholes? Really? 🤦‍♂️ 

Agree, we need a manager who has actually been a football manager for more than 3 minutes. We gambled on Unsworth, and it was plainly obvious that he would fail after just a few games of boring football.

We need someone who has good history in management,  and who plays ATTACKING entertaining football.

• Like 1

Someone with experience of success at this level is a prerequisite for me. We haven’t got time or the stomach to take a punt on a ‘name’. 
I only see home games but almost every visiting team seem to, embarrassingly, hold and pass the ball far better than we do. Curing this seems to be a daunting job for anyone and maybe impossible without financial backing.  

• Like 1

It's got to be a rare thing for 3 no brainer appointments - Clarke, Mellon and Cowley - who've all been promoted from this league and/or the one above in the recent past to all be available.

3 options where, whilst it's never guaranteed,  it would be highly unlikely that they'd fail. 

I hope the board don't over complicate it. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, HarryBosch said:

It's got to be a rare thing for 3 no brainer appointments - Clarke, Mellon and Cowley - who've all been promoted from this league and/or the one above in the recent past to all be available.

3 options where, whilst it's never guaranteed,  it would be highly unlikely that they'd fail. 

I'd be happy with any of those three, Mellon would probably be my preferred choice as I'm presuming he's local, has worked with one or two who we have already and has experience of going straight in with a team at the bottom and getting them in to the play offs.

29 minutes ago, HarryBosch said:

Yeah, plenty of good options. 

I think Cowley is fanciful to be honest. He’s had a taste of a much bigger clubs, and I think plenty of L1 L2 would be interested in him. Even if he was interested, I think he’d be very expensive to employ for our level. 

35 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

I'd be happy with any of those three, Mellon would probably be my preferred choice as I'm presuming he's local, has worked with one or two who we have already and has experience of going straight in with a team at the bottom and getting them in to the play offs.

Mellon used to live in Blackpool. Don't know whether he still does.

3 hours ago, mcfluff1985 said:

Who is bothered how he interacts with fans. He can wear a balaclava and never do a single interview for all I care as long as we win. 

Spot on. And while I don’t always find myself agreeing with your posts, that’s also one of the funniest things I’ve read on here, I couldn’t stop laughing 😆 at the image of a balaclava-wearing manager in the dugout!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Worcester Owl said:

Spot on. And while I don’t always find myself agreeing with your posts, that’s also one of the funniest things I’ve read on here, I couldn’t stop laughing 😆 at the image of a balaclava-wearing manager in the dugout!

Darren Kelly was close :peepwall: (allegedly).

• Like 4

1 hour ago, HarryBosch said:

Thats about where I'm at with it.

When Mellon was mentioned yesterday I was a bit "meh" but I'd put him in a similar category as Wrexham's Phill Parkinson in that I'd personally class him/them as a bit 'unfashionable' but would probably get the results required.

If I had to pick one of the 3 I'd got for Clarke but I'd be happy with any of them.

51 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Yeah, plenty of good options. 

I think Cowley is fanciful to be honest. He’s had a taste of a much bigger clubs, and I think plenty of L1 L2 would be interested in him. Even if he was interested, I think he’d be very expensive to employ for our level. 

I think he might well be interested. The brothers have been out of work for eight and a half months and they can only coach their daughters' football teams for so long. Between Huddersfield and Pompey a fifth-tier club wouldn't have interested them, even one as big as Oldham. But they might well be attracted by the prospect of turning the tide of your fortunes and restoring you to not only league status but League One as well. Their reputations have taken a hit from their "failure" at Portsmouth whom they left in tenth place in League One. Boundary Park could be an attractive proposition to get their careers back on track.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ROKERITE said:

I think he might well be interested. The brothers have been out of work for eight and a half months and they can only coach their daughters' football teams for so long. Between Huddersfield and Pompey a fifth-tier club wouldn't have interested them, even one as big as Oldham. But they might well be attracted by the prospect of turning the tide of your fortunes and restoring you to not only league status but League One as well. Their reputations have taken a hit from their "failure" at Portsmouth whom they left in tenth place in League One. Boundary Park could be an attractive proposition to get their careers back on track.

Possibly. 

But I always think it’s a big risk coming that far back down. 

Unsworth won’t get a job in league football after us. 

If Cowley comes back down to national league and fails- is he getting another chance in league football? 

Will Mark Hughes ever be considered for a top job after taking the Bradford gig? 

2 hours ago, mikeroyboy said:

Someone with experience of success at this level is a prerequisite for me. We haven’t got time or the stomach to take a punt on a ‘name’. 
I only see home games but almost every visiting team seem to, embarrassingly, hold and pass the ball far better than we do. Curing this seems to be a daunting job for anyone and maybe impossible without financial backing.  

Doesn't always work-previous success. Always remember Howard Kendal creating a superb team at Everton then got numerous jobs both here and abroad based on his previous success and then failed in every job he got thereafter. No guarantee of success whichever opinion you have or take.However any choice is gonna be better than D.U.

This really should be an attractive proposition for any ambitious manager. You look at the National League table and the play offs remain a very realistic prospect. You have a Board that will back you to the hilt, including in the transfer market. Add to that a fanbase starved of success who will treat you like the next Messiah (or next John Sheridan) if you actually get us promoted. A stadium that will be absolutely rocking if we put a run together. Oh, and throw in an ex-manager that's an easy act to follow.

I don't know enough about the candidates to really have a favourite but I did like what Darrell Clarke did at Port Vale, seems like a good bloke too. 

Still think we should trust in a robust process to deliver the right manager.

• Like 2

If we're looking for playoffs this year from where we are, it's roughly 1.8 points per game needed (hits 74 total) across the remaining 37 games (111 points to play for). Who is most likely to hit that target based on previous experiences/how do the previously mentioned characters seem to start at their new jobs? 

9 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Possibly. 

But I always think it’s a big risk coming that far back down. 

Unsworth won’t get a job in league football after us. 

If Cowley comes back down to national league and fails- is he getting another chance in league football? 

Will Mark Hughes ever be considered for a top job after taking the Bradford gig? 

If the Cowleys failed at Oldham they  wouldn't be deserving of a job in The EFL nor could they expect one. 

I think taking over at a club at its lowest point is a good move; I'm sure you're all hoping this is your lowest point. 

Mark Hughes is a perfect example of the wrong man for the wrong club. Bradford City and its supporters were bedazzled at the prospect of such a big name being interested in becoming their manager. But Hughes has no experience of League Two football and there is much dissatisfaction amongst the team's supporters at the job he's doing. Bradford City should be a great opportunity for someone as it is a team well below where it might expect to be. It would be a perfect club for the Cowleys perhaps. But dare they wait for a possibility.

I have no inside knowledge but I think they probably feel they can't afford to wait much longer to climb aboard the managerial merry-go-round again. Not on financial grounds; I think they quite rightly ensured they had a good contract at Huddersfield before leaving Lincoln. But it is easy to be forgotten and overlooked if you're out of the game too long. I believe they were close to getting the Charlton job but missed out to Appleton. I think that was a stroke of luck as they'd be better off rebuilding their careers and reputations at somewhere like Oldham Athletic.