MATCH: Dagenham and Redbridge (H) 07/10/23

A big problem with fitness is how much of the ball do we have in a game  ,

a lot of the teams we play keep possession well but as soon as we win it we huff it up to the front 2 and lose it. Start the tiring treadmill mill again to win it back.

No team can do 60 mins like that never mind 90.

We have nobody who is comfortable on the ball in midfield , none of our forwards (maybe Fondop) are good at holding it up.

their No 9 Effiong held it up really well yesterday that allows their midfield to support the forwards. The other problem is we have nobody in midfield who can break forward into their box and threaten. When our midfielders score it’s usually a 30 yard screamer , they’re sat too deep which then forces Norwood to  come back looking for it. All our problems stem from midfield , we have good strikers for this division and decent defenders in Kitchin, Hogan & Hobson we need a complete overhaul in the middle.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, JoeP said:

Unless you're Grimsby.  Or Bristol Rovers.

This is like the difference between climate change and weather. Individual outcomes do not disprove an overall trend. 

It also doesn’t mean we shouldn’t strive to be a Grimsby or Bristol Rovers. That should absolutely be our goal. It just has to be acknowledged that the general trend is that it takes longer than that. 

34 minutes ago, Pidge said:

The real issue isn’t fitness. The players who play regularly are all super fit.  The real issue is how you perform when you feel tired and maybe have some discomfort, do you ease off, or do you shut it out and keep going hard. Ask the SAS how they get their mentality right.  What makes you dig in and put that extra in?  Love of your team? Love of your manager? Fear of your manager? Love of the game and winning? All questions for the job application form .

Muscle memory plays a major part in any military training, something will be drilled until it becomes almost natural and drilled at a pace it will be faced at usually under fatigue, military personnel will generally train as they play. 

I put a lot of our failings down to character, we just don't have enough leaders in that team, to coin an Unsworthism it is all about fine margins and we just don't have them players who can lift us particularly from the bench where our subs generally make us weaker.

They probably do need longer on the training ground this week and I don't mean as a punishment it's more to work on what's wrong, generally we have a really honest bunch who for me have had most of the ability coached out of them and they now just revert to type and baton down the hatches instead of stepping up and taking risks.

On a positive we did go for it the last ten yesterday, could of won it and could of lost it but I prefer that to what's gone on previous and it does show some change in the mindset.

22 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

This is like the difference between climate change and weather. Individual outcomes do not disprove an overall trend. 

It also doesn’t mean we shouldn’t strive to be a Grimsby or Bristol Rovers. That should absolutely be our goal. It just has to be acknowledged that the general trend is that it takes longer than that. 

Is there an overall trend? More have taken a while to go up after going down, granted but it's not an exact science. 

Another factor that shouldn't be an exact science is money spent - but it doesn't half help!

• Like 1

A very poor team performance. Hobson was great and I thought Fondop did well when he came on. He won plenty of headers but nobody even looking to feed off them. Norwood awful, gave the ball away too frequently. We are suffering badly from having had a year with a poor manager and it's not going to get resolved overnight. ST is doing reasonably well with what he has but what he has just isn't good enough. Wasted a lot of money via the DU disaster - going to have to fork out a lot more now. Frank isn't happy.

2 hours ago, Bluemood said:

A big problem with fitness is how much of the ball do we have in a game  ,

a lot of the teams we play keep possession well but as soon as we win it we huff it up to the front 2 and lose it. Start the tiring treadmill mill again to win it back.

No team can do 60 mins like that never mind 90.

We have nobody who is comfortable on the ball in midfield , none of our forwards (maybe Fondop) are good at holding it up.

their No 9 Effiong held it up really well yesterday that allows their midfield to support the forwards. The other problem is we have nobody in midfield who can break forward into their box and threaten. When our midfielders score it’s usually a 30 yard screamer , they’re sat too deep which then forces Norwood to  come back looking for it. All our problems stem from midfield , we have good strikers for this division and decent defenders in Kitchin, Hogan & Hobson we need a complete overhaul in the middle.

Absolutely 100%. It's the fact we don't have the ball,  chasing it whilst the other side simply pass it around. 

Green fires in a great goal,  torments his defender one game in ten (well one half). The other nine doesn't retain the ball nor defends his space. Dickenson can't last 90 mins. Sheron huffs and puffs putting in 2 tackles per match mainly standing off his man in a backward motion, then either passing backwards or to the opposition. Shelton stands off, stands off stands off deeper and deeper, why is he even here?.

That's the starting point. 

2 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

Well we have been shit in midfield since he has been a consistent figure in our midfield. 

You mean since he has been paired with biscuit legs and Shelton? Nobody else who can tackle has been in there. Need 3 in midfield. Sheron needs to be one, plus Lundstrom and another

I've said for a while I don't think we can play Sheron in a midfield 2, it just doesn't work. Especially when your 2 wingers drift in and out of games as often as ours (especially Dickenson, who has periods in games that he looks absolutely lost). Just leaves too much on the shoulders of the other cm. But at the minute we're kind of stuck with him in there because we don't really have any other options. 

17 hours ago, mcfluff1985 said:

You mean since he has been paired with biscuit legs and Shelton? Nobody else who can tackle has been in there. Need 3 in midfield. Sheron needs to be one, plus Lundstrom and another

Disagree. Gardner is the best we have in that position. 

He’s also been paired with more players than just those two. He’s a constant for a terrible midfield. 

11 hours ago, Mr Banks, Zone 3 said:

Steve Edwards was playing at a much higher level, he must have had some ability to be playing in what would now be the Championship. 

This is true. However, that was 40 years ago. He would not survive in today's Championship and would be League Two at best. Would you rate Edwards better than say Kitching (excluding the fact that one is a left back and one a right back)?

19 hours ago, doctor evil said:

I've said for a while I don't think we can play Sheron in a midfield 2, it just doesn't work. Especially when your 2 wingers drift in and out of games as often as ours (especially Dickenson, who has periods in games that he looks absolutely lost). Just leaves too much on the shoulders of the other cm. But at the minute we're kind of stuck with him in there because we don't really have any other options. 

So Sheron isn't our problem, it's the wingers?

1 hour ago, doctor evil said:

They're not consistent enough to make up for Sheron not being able to progress the ball. So we could either find more consistent wide men or not play Sheron in a midfield 2....

Green's best games in recent times have been when he has scored from distance from the middle of the park.

13 hours ago, LightDN123 said:

Disagree. Gardner is the best we have in that position. 

He’s also been paired with more players than just those two. He’s a constant for a terrible midfield. 

I struggle to support that as he doesn’t play enough for me to be able to be certain. Sorry, but such a physically weak player is a luxury and waste of a wage that we simply can’t carry at our level. There must be better options out there. 🤔 

Yes… I’m grumpy tonight.