MATCH: Dagenham and Redbridge (H) 07/10/23

Well after that I'm not arsed at getting a Alty ticket, Green and Dickenson were awful, special mention to the "fans" who booed Shelton onto the pitch again, at least we looked better when he came on. It is a bit of a blessing that I am not going to the next few games, for me Thompson doesn't get the gig. 

1 hour ago, 100milesaway said:

Recruitment since the last manager arrived has been way below what is required. 

And now we are seeing the results of that process. 

It's bordering on criminal. 

The more I think about it the more angry I get about the original Unsworth appt, it was done in good faith I’m sure but it was clearly jobs for the boys. Now we are left with another problem in his wake, I’m not sure how much responsibility you can pin on Thompson re the recruitment but this lot aren’t taking us anywhere other than where we are. I really think a new manager will be needed asap who will need to bring his own players in. Somehow try and ship out some of the ones we have in the process and make way for some who can do a job for us. It’s going to take another season at least but I don’t know what else can be done. 

47 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

I was going to mention it last week, granted, Reid has put the ball in the back of the net lately but am I the only one who thinks he’s a bloody awful footballer!

I mentioned it last week , I agree hes a bit of a show pony sometimes and needs to do more . If he scores early he thinks he is done for the day . 

6 minutes ago, disjointed said:

Well after that I'm not arsed at getting a Alty ticket, Green and Dickenson were awful, special mention to the "fans" who booed Shelton onto the pitch again, at least we looked better when he came on. It is a bit of a blessing that I am not going to the next few games, for me Thompson doesn't get the gig. 

At least ST tried to mix it up to affect the game. Unfortunately unorthodox changes seldom work. 

The simple fact is,  these players aren't good enough. Nor is ST.

Every game we can't transition the lines nor can we disrupt the opposition from passing through us and breaking our lines into acres of space. Hence we go ever deeper. 

• Like 1

Thommo  imo is not doing too bad a job in steadying the ship and despite some pretty poor play are still 6 unbeaten.Yes indeed Unsworth should have been got rid of a long time ago  and I do feel because  of that that we may well have already blown any chance of promotion.Lets hope the next manager can make   improvements  .Still a long way to go.

• Like 1

Apparently we have a wealth of striking talent all of which are the envy of most sides in this division………..is it just me who thinks that’s total bollocks?

Reid is a terrible footballer, Fondop spends most of the game on his arse & Nuttall just can’t even be arsed!!

Instead of swapping and changing every other week I would stick with Willoughby & Norwood and try to develop a pattern of play.

Looks like Nuttall has finally been found out, he wasn’t a Thommo signing and IMO no matter who the new manager is will be 1st out of the door….provided someone actually wants him that is!!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

Will today and possibly last Tuesday speed up a decision regarding the new manager? Perhaps we now need clear direction?

Yes, if they have been casting the net then today looks like a natural end to proceedings.

I don't like the idea of Mellon at all but it may be that someone of that ilk is what is needed in the short term.

26 minutes ago, Flemboy said:

Thommo  imo is not doing too bad a job in steadying the ship and despite some pretty poor play are still 6 unbeaten.Yes indeed Unsworth should have been got rid of a long time ago  and I do feel because  of that that we may well have already blown any chance of promotion.Lets hope the next manager can make   improvements  .Still a long way to go.

It's the sort of run a lot of people were creaming themselves about last season from January onwards under Unsworth...

We saw that as "progress", so we should probably see this as the same, in fairness. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Yes, if they have been casting the net then today looks like a natural end to proceedings.

I don't like the idea of Mellon at all but it may be that someone of that ilk is what is needed in the short term.

It's been 3 weeks since Unsworth departed so you would think that is a good amount of time to have sounded out potential replacements and with no midweek game it could give them a full week of training to familiarise themselves so now seems a good time to make am announcement.

I expect you to just disagree with what the consensus is Eyrsie regardless of who we appoint and regardless what results they get.

13 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

It's been 3 weeks since Unsworth departed so you would think that is a good amount of time to have sounded out potential replacements and with no midweek game it could give them a full week of training to familiarise themselves so now seems a good time to make am announcement.

I expect you to just disagree with what the consensus is Eyrsie regardless of who we appoint and regardless what results they get.

Bit harsh Gloss, think me and you have generally been on the same page in recent months.

53 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

Apparently we have a wealth of striking talent all of which are the envy of most sides in this division………..is it just me who thinks that’s total bollocks?

Reid is a terrible footballer, Fondop spends most of the game on his arse & Nuttall just can’t even be arsed!!

Instead of swapping and changing every other week I would stick with Willoughby & Norwood and try to develop a pattern of play.

Looks like Nuttall has finally been found out, he wasn’t a Thommo signing and IMO no matter who the new manager is will be 1st out of the door….provided someone actually wants him that is!!

I'd drop Norwood. He was awful today. I'd replace him with Fondop and have him up top with Reid. 

Reid missed a sitter today but his minutes per goal is great so keep him in. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Flemboy said:

Problem is this unbeaten run is against teams currently in 15th, 17th, 20th, 21st, 22nd and 23rd, ......and we have just drawn at home and looked absolute shite against the teams in 21st and 22nd place.

To me our lack of width is just as big a problem as the lack of creativity in the midfield. 

We also seem to be dead against using the loan market to freshen things up which I just don't get. Surely with our off field progress, improvements in facilities and the boards apparent ambition,  we would be a good option to blood some up and coming stars. We should also be relatively well connected to many top tier teams.

I'm sorry but with this squad and current manager we will be back down below halfway by the end of November, unless we can bring in 2 or 3 quality loan or new signings and get a permanent manager appointed. 

And next weekend is really likely to be the first time in our history (I'm guessing) that Oldham Athletic will not make it into the First Round draw of the FA Cup..Happy fucking days 😬

It's so gutting. All that pre-season hype, the excitement of bringing in what we thought would be quality players and pushing at promotion. Evaporated again and I'm sick of it. No drama, just disappointment and the hope of something better but it ain't going to come anytime soon, I feel.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 100milesaway said:

Recruitment since the last manager arrived has been way below what is required. 

And now we are seeing the results of that process. 

It's bordering on criminal. 

Absolutely right.

Probably the best barometer of where we currently are, is that we are now 1/3 way through the season and are 6 points above 2nd bottom Kidderminster and 16 points behind 2nd placed Barnet!

Promotion with this squad of players is a million miles away.

Just now, Wardie said:

It's so gutting. All that pre-season hype, the excitement of bringing in what we thought would be quality players and pushing at promotion. Evaporated again and I'm sick of it. No drama, just disappointment and the hope of something better but it ain't going to come anytime soon, I feel.

I agree, I think it’s going to involve another overhaul, not of the same proportions of pre season but we need better players, Thompson keeps alluding to it and he’s right. Seems ridiculous but I don’t think some of these are up to the task in hand. 

28 minutes ago, Londonboy said:

And next weekend is really likely to be the first time in our history (I'm guessing) that Oldham Athletic will not make it into the First Round draw of the FA Cup..Happy fucking days 😬

Since 1905/06 when we lost to Hull in the 4Q round.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, oafc1955 said:

Yep, agree with this. Reid is crap. Fondop is a useful battering ram in certain away games but that’s all he’s good for. 

1 hour ago, GlossopLatic said:

I agree. As long as the decision is made before next Saturday then 3 weeks seems perfectly reasonable. 

I thought folk wanted a thorough application and interview process? Now apparently the board are fucking around. Couldn’t make it up. 

• Like 1