MATCH: Altrincham (A) 14/10/23 FA Cup 4th Round Qualifying

54 minutes ago, welshgaz said:

Mastersroke by Muzza to play Mcgahey at DCM. I like everyone else thought it was insane.

It allowed Hogan ( my MOM again) to carry the ball forward and drive us into midfield.

Special mention to Norwood who I’ve been critical off. Ran his bollocks off and held it well second half.

He probably knows more than most what is coming.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, disjointed said:

Well he certainly looks a better player than Sheron in that position, he made a couple of shite long passes but other than that I was quietly impressed with his performance. 

Impressed by how vocal he was too.

He nearly took the stand roof off with his deflected shot just before he scored.

• Like 1

A battling win, as they say. It is the third consecutive match I've seen where we make a bright start and we had much the better of the first 20 minutes. We then retreat once a passing side begins to get going and it invites pressure and close calls, although I couldn't fault our defensive display. We are hard to beat, so that is a good foundation to build on.

However, our ability to build our own pressure, hold the ball for long spells in and beyond midfield, get in behind teams, and generally create chances is limited. 

I've seen Green get some stick and I can't at all comment as I've not been to many games in the last 18 months, but I can see a decent player in there. He's the sort of player - pace and direct - that we lack. That isn't to say anything on his own consistency, but equally if he isn't getting the service or he cannot rely on the spine of the side holding the ball for long he's going to come across as someone largely absent from games.

Solid. Unbeaten in seven, into the FA Cup first round, and a Mellon's first game will be with an away following of several thousand. Slowly but surely we're seeing individuals and the group build a little bit of confidence.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, penrhyn said:

Yep me too , think there may well be a few going .

If the reports are true he wants everyone running their bollocks off. 

My hunch is Green, Reid and Nuttall will struggle under him because they all don’t work hard enough/drift in and out of games. 

Time will tell. 

4 minutes ago, Sloshed Joe said:

Good that we will have earned a bit of money from this fixture. I think we get about £10k from the FA for winning the tie plus 45% of the gate receipts.

Yeah, if we can win that first round as well that’s another 40k plus the shared gate. So we could be looking at circa 100k- which is a nice little pot for Micky to add a few. 

5 minutes ago, League one forever said:

My hunch is Green, Reid and Nuttall will struggle under him because they all don’t work hard enough/drift in and out of games. 

Time will tell. 

First time this season where Nuttall wasn’t involved? Rightly so he’s nowhere near up for it enough.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, sjk2008 said:

Green was horrendous but I’m not allowed to say that on here am I?

5 hours ago, sjk2008 said:

I got battered on here a month ago for saying this.

Ye. You snagged him off after he played well and got an assist. Then he scored in the next two so people rightly pointed out he was doing well

11 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

Fucking awful, as usual.

Sheron has given the ball away at will for a full 45 minutes, you just can't do that at any level of football, I know he runs about a lot but that's been as bad a 45 from him that I've seen, fucking liability.

As predicted Dickinson has broke down, zero aerobic fitness and a passenger in the centre of the park.

Please take Tollitt off the dead ball, he just gives it them straight back.

McGahey struggled on occasions and I'm not even sure what formation we are playing but the midfield needs some support, dare I say it? Probably from Shelton.

This groups limited, top heavy with strikers yet we've only named one in the eleven,plenty of work to do for sure.

Alty neat and tidy, some structure to the way they play and I suspect a 1-0 defeat today if we can't put our foot on the ball and string some passes together.

Half of these couldn't complain if Mellon dropped them for Dale.

That aged well… 🙄

Agree somewhat with @Lee Sinnott but someone like McGahey in the CDM role is what we’ve massively missed in the past two years. Never shirks a tackle, always vocal and ran himself into the ground. Murray could see our biggest weakness and to be fair, his gamble paid off in spades. Doubt he’s the solution but earned a run in that position to see how it goes. You never know.

Great performance in very taxing circumstances I thought. Heavy pitch, against a bang-in-form team. Honestly did not know which way that was going to go. 

Our back two are so calm and unshakable aren’t they? Hogan was head and shoulders our MOTM. Hobson is Mr. Consistent and great shifts by Norwood and Lundstram too. The latter looks after the ball so well. There was a moment with three Alty players closely round him, no panic and worked himself out of trouble with ease. A really great asset to have.

Thought Green and Tollitt (notwithstanding the corner for the goal) struggled to impose themselves. They’re luxury players who struggle with defensive duties, but I think there are places for them if used correctly. As Reid showed when he nearly scored at the end. Pace is a rare commodity at National League level and we’re very good at getting those breakaway moments when the opposition are chasing the game.

A great, bonus win which gives us a good opportunity to get deeper into the competition. A solid run might see the purse strings loosened for a couple of quality additions. We really aren’t far off a decent side IMO.

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

Agree somewhat with @Lee Sinnott but someone like McGahey in the CDM role is what we’ve massively missed in the past two years. Never shirks a tackle, always vocal and ran himself into the ground. Murray could see our biggest weakness and to be fair, his gamble paid off in spades. Doubt he’s the solution but earned a run in that position to see how it goes. You never know.

Great performance in very taxing circumstances I thought. Heavy pitch, against a bang-in-form team. Honestly did not know which way that was going to go. 

Our back two are so calm and unshakable aren’t they? Hogan was head and shoulders our MOTM. Hobson is Mr. Consistent and great shifts by Norwood and Lundstram too. The latter looks after the ball so well. There was a moment with three Alty players closely round him, no panic and worked himself out of trouble with ease. A really great asset to have.

Thought Green and Tollitt (notwithstanding the corner for the goal) struggled to impose themselves. They’re luxury players who struggle with defensive duties, but I think there are places for them if used correctly. As Reid showed when he nearly scored at the end. Pace is a rare commodity at National League level and we’re very good at getting those breakaway moments when the opposition are chasing the game.

A great, bonus win which gives us a good opportunity to get deeper into the competition. A solid run might see the purse strings loosened for a couple of quality additions. We really aren’t far off a decent side IMO.

On Lundstram, are you referring to his clip over the heads of the centre backs and away into space? If so, I thought that was a touch of class whereas most would have clipped it out of play or try and edge it back to the goalkeeper. It was a nothing moment, really, but it was a moment of intelligence.

Edited by Astro
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, League one forever said:

Time will tell. 

I think Green and Reid will be utilised , purely because something can always happen with them. Nuttall is the only player I’ve ever seen come on as a sub and look more tired than the other players. His work ethic for me is the most questionable. 

McGahey could be a major player in that position in this league. Not afraid to shout at others and tackle . More importantly he rarely gives the ball away and he can pass forward. Put thru some quality balls yesterday that some players didn’t read or react to .The ball for Reid was superbly weighted over the top and he should have done better.

Once the forwards cotton on we could see some quality chances created.