MATCH: Altrincham (A) 14/10/23 FA Cup 4th Round Qualifying

On 10/3/2023 at 10:30 PM, Ritchierich said:

He is beyond useless, one of the weakest defenders I’ve ever seen. How the feck he is a professional footballer is beyond me, should be playing at NPL level at best

1 hour ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

Our back two are so calm and unshakable aren’t they? Hogan was head and shoulders our MOTM.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, TheBigDog said:

That aged well… 🙄

Do you not think it was a fair reflection of the 1st half then? Granted I predicted they'd nick it but we actually stepped it up a little and ground it out. For balance I did post at fulltime I thought they were the better first half and we shaded the second. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

One swallow doesn't make a summer and all that but you do wonder why T & U signed Raglan when they knew Big Mc was coming back.

We've seen this before with McGahey. He was excellent on his debut v Rochdale (better than he performed yesterday) and turned to shit after that. Let's give it a few more weeks before we get too carried away...

Just Seen the highlights which I believe are edited by the host team I hope they were because good grief we looked all over the place for most of it.  I wish Reid would have let go of that late chance sooner too. 
All that said, a really good win that away at theirs. They are a decent side . 

1 minute ago, Lee Sinnott said:

We've seen this before with McGahey. He was excellent on his debut v Rochdale (better than he performed yesterday) and turned to shit after that. Let's give it a few more weeks before we get too carried away...

He's more than good enough for this level in my humble opinion. I hope the big fella is over his troubles and we can see more of the talent he possesses.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

He's more than good enough for this level in my humble opinion. I hope the big fella is over his troubles and we can see more of the talent he possesses.

Looks as if he has shed a load of weight, obviously been determined to get back playing football. 

31 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

It might be perfect timing for him with Mellon coming in, he’s out of contract at the end of this season- and not played in over a year before yesterday. If he’s got anything about him he’ll be hungry to prove himself. 

19 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

We'll have to disagree, I thought he struggled at times - have the ball away quite a bit and really should have been subbed late on as his legs had gone, take the goal though and we managed to have a bit more of the game second half.

Thought Hogan and Hobson were magnificent, best I've ever seen Hogan play.

First half definitely Alty's but thought we edged it second half.

l can accept that 👍🏻

15 hours ago, Astro said:

A battling win, as they say. It is the third consecutive match I've seen where we make a bright start and we had much the better of the first 20 minutes. We then retreat once a passing side begins to get going and it invites pressure and close calls, although I couldn't fault our defensive display. We are hard to beat, so that is a good foundation to build on.

However, our ability to build our own pressure, hold the ball for long spells in and beyond midfield, get in behind teams, and generally create chances is limited. 

I've seen Green get some stick and I can't at all comment as I've not been to many games in the last 18 months, but I can see a decent player in there. He's the sort of player - pace and direct - that we lack. That isn't to say anything on his own consistency, but equally if he isn't getting the service or he cannot rely on the spine of the side holding the ball for long he's going to come across as someone largely absent from games.

Solid. Unbeaten in seven, into the FA Cup first round, and a Mellon's first game will be with an away following of several thousand. Slowly but surely we're seeing individuals and the group build a little bit of confidence.

Agree with a lot of this. We struggle to gain back control of games once we’ve lost it, retreat,  and the opposition dominate the ball.

Yesterday we kept our defensive shape very well, with Magehey holding his position well and Hogan having probably his best game for us. 
I think Hobson’s at that level now where, although he’s clearly our best player, he won’t get many MOM awards because he hits high levels every week, whereas people tend to go for a player who surpasses his norm.

Lundstram has that lovely drop of the shoulders that takes players out of the game with one move, and once he’s up to full fitness should be a big asset.

We need more from midfield and out wide though, and hopefully Mellon can get us playing higher up the pitch so we can dominate more and Norwood doesn’t have to keep coming deep for the ball.

We have to impose ourselves more, but if he can make the right additions and get the best out of what we’ve currently got, then there’s still time to get up amongst the leaders

16 minutes ago, True Tic said:

Was just hoping for something a bit, well, nearer 

Oh well someone had to play them. They are a tough team .Last time I went Fondop had a blinder and we were down to 10.Cant see many going all that way but it is one we can win.Good inside bar and food.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, deyres42 said:

One swallow doesn't make a summer and all that but you do wonder why T & U signed Raglan when they knew Big Mc was coming back.

Maybe they thought it was sensible to have cover for the bloke who'd had two major surgeries, been told he might not play again, and hadn't started a game for a year?

• Like 2

I don't think the draw is that bad myself. There was a reasonable chance of pulling out a L1 side, which would be a tough draw to get through, as would an in-form L2 side. So we've avoided those and a home draw would have been better but I think we can go there in confidence. I don't think a bottom-half L2 side is much better than teams in and around the play offs in this division. They'll have far more to lose than us. Didn't Fondop get a hat-trick there when we played them last?

Lets be honest, almost any draw in round's one and two are going to be fairly uninspiring.