MATCH: Boreham Wood (H) 02/12/23

5 minutes ago, daniel said:

From a selfish point of view, i’m delighted it’s off. Flown to Tenerife this morning, so was missing today and next week. 

Frank will be fuming, he was going to watch the match in a pub  in Spain. He's rowing the Atlantic and soft players don't want to play on conditions the ref seemed happy with.

Should never be up to the players. There should be a deadline…if the pitch is unplayable say at 10.00am dependant perhaps on the distance the away team has to travel then the game is called off.

I know we have been disgruntled before when games that could have been played have been called off but to call the game off at 1.30pm is absolutely ridiculous.

There is no guarantee either that if you start the game you would be able to finish it!

15 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

So much for players clapping fans after a game, all for show, they couldn't care less. 

Of the many posts attacking the club/referee/players/NL, I'm sorry BP but this one takes the biscuit. Why on earth do you think players not wanting to play on a frozen pitch undermines their clapping the fans, or shows they couldn't care less? Of course they would want to play, but you have to balance that against the risk of serious injury. No doubt 50 years ago they would have stubbed out their fags on the frozen pitch, downed a quick winter warmer and come out to play, but times have changed and the game has moved on.

More broadly, I get the disappointment, particularly for Boreham Wood fans (and let's drop the jokes about the 2 of them etc, however few there might be is irrelevant) but far from a shambles it's surely the case that every effort was made to get the game played and sadly it wasn't possible. It will be rearranged, nobody has died, and everyone can hopefully find something else to do with their free time this afternoon. It's not the end of the world. Bad weather happens, it's December!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Worcester Owl said:

Of the many posts attacking the club/referee/players/NL, I'm sorry BP but this one takes the biscuit. Why on earth do you think players not wanting to play on a frozen pitch undermines their clapping the fans, or shows they couldn't care less? Of course they would want to play, but you have to balance that against the risk of serious injury. No doubt 50 years ago they would have stubbed out their fags on the frozen pitch, downed a quick winter warmer and come out to play, but times have changed and the game has moved on.

More broadly, I get the disappointment, particularly for Boreham Wood fans (and let's drop the jokes about the 2 of them etc, however few there might be is irrelevant) but far from a shambles it's surely the case that every effort was made to get the game played and sadly it wasn't possible. It will be rearranged, nobody has died, and everyone can hopefully find something else to do with their free time this afternoon. It's not the end of the world. Bad weather happens, it's December!

It's obvious from the twitter x video some players wanted to play, but were dissuaded by others.

1 minute ago, BP1960 said:

It's obvious from the twitter x video some players wanted to play, but were dissuaded by others.

Maybe so and don't get me wrong there are aspects of modern football I hate (players feigning injury, mobbing the ref, time wasting, VAR......) but if it is the case that it was left up to the players to decide, and some of them didn't want to risk getting crocked on a pitch that was maybe less than 100% (otherwise why give them the option) then I'm not sure I would blame them for not wanting to play. One bad injury can end a career. It's always difficult deciding when to call off a game. Maybe as @oafc1955 says we need strict deadlines, with no discretion allowed.

I was told by a pretty high up club official that the game was postponed because one Boreham Wood player refused to play.

Now call me old fashioned but surely the decision is the referee's and possibly the referee's in consultation with the managers.

How can one player have an influence over that given the significant financial loss we will now have to absorb. I had a feeling one or two of their players wouldn't fancy that today, fucking tin pot fannies. I hope it's pissing down and raining in off Oldham Edge sideways for the rearranged fixture.

4 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

Nobody's come out of it particularly well today. Can't say I'm too disappointed that I don't have to leave the house. They'll send the food to a foodbank so won't go to waste...

You can say that again.....

• Like 3

Always a chance with the weather , looks like the ref gave it every opportunity to go ahead . Cant believe it was called off because of one player , not saying you wernt told that . Its the referees decision I thought . Anyways only 3 other games on in the National league today.

1 hour ago, BP1960 said:

Frank will be fuming, he was going to watch the match in a pub  in Spain. He's rowing the Atlantic and soft players don't want to play on conditions the ref seemed happy with.

1 hour ago, BP1960 said:

So much for players clapping fans after a game, all for show, they couldn't care less. 

52 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

While Frank is preparing to row the Atlantic with all its risks.

I maintain some couldn't care less about fans.

Give it a rest will you.

I'm sure you get annoyed about "soft" 6 year olds not wanting to go up cleaning chimneys 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

I was told by a pretty high up club official that the game was postponed because one Boreham Wood player refused to play.

Now call me old fashioned but surely the decision is the referee's and possibly the referee's in consultation with the managers.

How can one player have an influence over that given the significant financial loss we will now have to absorb. I had a feeling one or two of their players wouldn't fancy that today, fucking tin pot fannies. I hope it's pissing down and raining in off Oldham Edge sideways for the rearranged fixture.

One player dictating the proceeds? Even in this day and age surely not? If it’s true he should have been told in no uncertain terms he’s playing. If it’s dictated playable by the officials , you play …