JKLatics - Latics Internet Pioneers

We'd thought that we'd look back at the Latics community on the internet, to where it kind of all started for many of OWTB's members today.

From PlakkiLakki to The Ghost of Brendan McManus to Fat Bloke In Orange - these were the names of just some of the regular characters on the forums from the mid to late 90's, where you there back then?

Screenshot 2024-03-06 180327.jpg

Screenshot 2024-03-06 180554.jpg

Screenshot 2024-03-06 180954.jpg

Screenshot 2024-03-06 180839.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Matt said:

We'd thought that we'd look back at the Latics community on the internet, to where it kind of all started for many of OWTB's members today.

From PlakkiLakki to The Ghost of Brendan McManus to Fat Bloke In Orange - these were the names of just some of the regular characters on the forums from the mid to late 90's, where you there back then?

Screenshot 2024-03-06 180327.jpg

Screenshot 2024-03-06 180554.jpg

Screenshot 2024-03-06 180954.jpg

Screenshot 2024-03-06 180839.jpg

Good memories. 

I must have come to the JK party late as I didn’t post on there, but remember reading.  

How long was the gap Matt between that finishing and OWTB starting? 

I was on there, can't even remember my username ..I think it had 'Blu' in it somewhere. It was a great place and, from what I remember, not as antagonistic as it is on here at times, plus, other Rivals boards were available to post on. 

22 minutes ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

There was a last to post on this thread wins thread which was brilliant. 

Was on there as this username I think.

There's been 2 on here. I won the more recent one having started it.

Yes, I posted on JK Latics. I remember Jack and myself interviewing Kenny Clements at Diggle Band Club for an article on there. All for a 3 pints fee!!

TGOBM was quite a knowledgeable chap, many suspected it was Alan Hardy, not sure about that myself but I do wonder what became of him.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, League one forever said:

How long was the gap Matt between that finishing and OWTB starting? 

There wasn't one. JKL's provider Rivals implemented a newer board (the one seen in the screengrabs above was the earlier version) in the mid 00's and it wasn't usable at all. We launched OWTB in late 2006 on a different server, and migrated to this in early 2007. Both JKL and OWTB existed side by side for a little while, but that new board killed it unfortunately.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Wardie said:

from what I remember, not as antagonistic as it is on here at times, plus, other Rivals boards were available to post on. 

The internet is a different place these days, there's a lot of hate out there.

The function of being able to switch clubs boards by just selecting a team on a drop down menu was so simple, it was a great feature.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Matt said:

The internet is a different place these days, there's a lot of hate out there.

The function of being able to switch clubs boards by just selecting a team on a drop down menu was so simple, it was a great feature.

was great having banter with the plastics donkey lashers and bin dippers often heated never nasty usualy with a tounge firmly in cheek happy days 

15 hours ago, dannyboy55555 said:

Love it - anyone on here admitting to being any of those contributors? Aside from Dave O obviously.

I was on it as Diego's sideburns but changed my user name on here because this site did not allow use of the apostrophe.

I was an occasional poster, as General Franco Bunn. At one stage I bumped into an old school friend, Corporal Jones, who signed off his posts by shouting Don't Panic! It only just occurred to me that I could've ordered him to calm down, since technically I outranked him.

I remember suggesting to Barry Owen, in his pre-Shitpeas era, that his posts came across as arrogant 🤣 So yeah the internet was definitely a different place back then and before you ask - no my feedback wasn't taken on board. 

I always thought the JK stood for Jack and Kate, does anyone know what happened to them or did I make that up?

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, GFBunn1 said:

I always thought the JK stood for Jack and Kate, does anyone know what happened to them or did I make

I think it was Jack Scott and his partner. I used to work in the same office in Manchester. Remember him saying it was all kicking off on his website when it was going pear shaped under Moores.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, GFBunn1 said:

I always thought the JK stood for Jack and Kate, does anyone know what happened to them or did I make that up?

As you can see from @Matt's homage (also at the top of OWTB right now), it was indeed Jack and Kate:

OWTB - Oldham Athletic Forum

• Like 1

I was a regular there too. I’m “Matt75” in those screenshots. 

There was JKLatics, there was the Latics Canada site, and at some point the other message board that I assume is still around today.

• Like 1