Johnson to Barnsley

• Replies 834
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

in that case he must have quit us already. Are we going to let Barnsley break the news that our manager has left us!?

There should be press release from the club within the hour if he is leaving- Ridiculous that if it is true the only news is coming out of Yorkshire.

Edited by palmer1

What I don't get is this idea that Corney wants to take the £200k

Johnson has generated way more than that in transfer dealings and will only continue to do so, if not start to generate even more

Very short sighted if true

Thats what is pissing me off the most. Snatch snatch snatch. Prick.

in that case he must have quit us already. Are we going to let Barnsley break the news that our manager has left us!?

There should be press release from the club within the hour if he is leaving- Ridiculous that if it is true the only news is coming out of Yorkshire.

I reckon that's probably a provision of the settlement agreement between the clubs.

Ah, time for the five stages of managerial grief:

Denial: come on, he won’t go to Barnsley. What have they got that we haven’t? Just a step sideways. And he’s said he’s building for the long term here. Just blatant misreporting by the shoddy press.

Anger: bloody splitter, lying to our faces! Money-grabbing traitor! And Corney’s no better, he should’ve told Barnsley to do one.

Bargaining: if we’d have signed Evans/not gotten into the whole Evans mess he’d have stayed. If tightfisted Corney had ploughed more money into achieving promotion he wouldn’t be going. If it hadn't been for the moaners and stayaways (hi Barry!) he'd stay. Surely we can be more appealing than Barnsley, especially when the new stand is finished.

Depression: typical Latics, really. Every silver lining has a bloody great cloud. We just churn through journeymen players and managers and anyone decent leaves at the first sniff of cash. This club is dying, has been for years.

Acceptance: you know what, this might not be so bad. After all, he didn’t actually achieve anything and maybe someone more experienced can take us further. He was never that good anyway.

Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

Christ with some of the reactions you would think Corney is going to use the 200k to pay off remaining staff members, then auction off BP and dissolve the club.

Johnson has done a good job here and it’s a shame he isn’t going to remain the manager until the end of the season but that’s life. What does remain is the fact we are two points off the play offs in a piss poor league with a team that we know are capable of making that top six.

It’s not ideal but it’s not the end of the world. We move on.

Ah, time for the five stages of managerial grief:

Denial: come on, he won’t go to Barnsley. What have they got that we haven’t? Just a step sideways. And he’s said he’s building for the long term here. Just blatant misreporting by the shoddy press.

Anger: bloody splitter, lying to our faces! Money-grabbing traitor! And Corney’s no better, he should’ve told Barnsley to do one.

Bargaining: if we’d have signed Evans/not gotten into the whole Evans mess he’d have stayed. If tightfisted Corney had ploughed more money into achieving promotion he wouldn’t be going. If it hadn't been for the moaners and stayaways (hi Barry!) he'd stay. Surely we can be more appealing than Barnsley, especially when the new stand is finished.

Depression: typical Latics, really. Every silver lining has a bloody great cloud. We just churn through journeymen players and managers and anyone decent leaves at the first sniff of cash. This club is dying, has been for years.

Acceptance: you know what, this might not be so bad. After all, he didn’t actually achieve anything and maybe someone more experienced can take us further. He was never that good anyway.

Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

Apparently I've used my upboat quota already, but would get one from me. Very well put!

Same with Ched Evans. Johnson places blame with the Board.

But it was ultimately his choice to try sign Evans, and his choice to leave for Barnsley.

I really don't buy this Corney got flattered by the money. They approached, Johnson signalled his interest.

Attending last night whilst still our manager was a piss take. Slimy get.

Still quite gutted though. Hope he gets relegated now.

I do admire Corney he has always had the same mentality that he won't stand in the way of anyone wanting to develop or further their career

Yes he has and thats commendable but we're just off the play-offs and 7th if we win our game in hand. Why can't LJ further his career here?!

Cryne has deeper pockets than SC and still in love with his club - as opposed to it being a millstone - so understandable that LJ will jump ship.

I just can't fathom why SC has allowed this. £200k is a decent return but we've progressed, team has settled and LJ has them playing for him. Yes a new manager may push us forward and fix that wobbly wheel on our bandwagon but it could also remove the last three wheels and we finish in bottom half again.

LJ may be leading us a merry dance but my gut feel is that he wants to finish the project here but SC has influenced him into a move because of the compo.

SC - and not that odious buffoon Owen - needs to step up, focus on the club and lead us forward with an astute appointment. We ARE that close to a play-off place and SC owes it to us hardcore fans who've remained patient through thin and thinner.

What I don't get is this idea that Corney wants to take the £200k

Johnson has generated way more than that in transfer dealings and will only continue to do so, if not start to generate even more

Very short sighted if true

Thats what is pissing me off the most. Snatch snatch snatch. Prick.

I highly doubt it happened that way round. Barnsley are not going to approach our Board without some preliminaty indiction from our manager he is interested. Why would they expose themselves if Johnson was not interested, to any other manager being second choice.

Theres only one greedy bastard

I dont blame LJ in the slightest. Not his fault his boss doesnt want or appreciate him and :censored:ed him off for a pittance.

Also had a little laugh at the suggestion of 'somebody more experienced' coming in. Unless you already know we have got Big Johnson lined up to work for free?????

Yes he has and thats commendable but we're just off the play-offs and 7th if we win our game in hand. Why can't LJ further his career here?!

Cryne has deeper pockets than SC and still in love with his club - as opposed to it being a millstone - so understandable that LJ will jump ship.

I just can't fathom why SC has allowed this. £200k is a decent return but we've progressed, team has settled and LJ has them playing for him. Yes a new manager may push us forward and fix that wobbly wheel on our bandwagon but it could also remove the last three wheels and we finish in bottom half again.

LJ may be leading us a merry dance but my gut feel is that he wants to finish the project here but SC has influenced him into a move because of the compo.

SC - and not that odious buffoon Owen - needs to step up, focus on the club and lead us forward with an astute appointment. We ARE that close to a play-off place and SC owes it to us hardcore fans who've remained patient through thin and thinner.

Soory Mids, that is about as far away from what has happened in my view. Johnson is a player, second time in a month he has done it. LJ is definitely leading us amerry dance. He is doing what is best for him, no problem with that. but to try and place the blame eslewhere does not fool me.

Financial Fair Play means that over time your position in the Football League is closely correlated with your attendance at matches. On this basis lattices should flirt with relegation every season and will eventually go down. Gaining promotion from league 2 would not be easy as gate receipts would suffer and FFP bite us again.

I immediately liked Lee Johnson and felt he was the answer. It is the manager and not the players that could get us promoted and Johnson has approached the job with clever signings and is building a squad that would have been even better next year if we can't make 6th this year. To progress we needed to sign and keep our manager.

If Johnson goes we will have to wait for another manager of his abilities to turn up - 5, 10 or 20 years. If Johnson goes then even if we find another diamond will he just move on quickly?

I'm totally gutted by the prospect of him going and the way this has played out. League 2 rather than the Championship beckons. So much for the vision of the new stand.

Wasn't £200k the exact sum of the grant we thought we'd be getting for the new stand and didn't. And perhaps what we missed out on from a cup run this season.

Said it before, I think the Colchester game, and the typical Latics performance and another Cornry-funded ticket offer going tits up, may have had a big effect.

But ultimately it's money and business. You rarely make money of a departing manager these days, you usually have to cough it up. We're basically getting a lot of money for a rookie, and it justifies the contract extension Corney had balls to hand out at the time with us near the relegation zone.

Maybe he thinks this will show we're an effective springboard, for managers as well as players. Maybe that's all we can be now...

They approached, Johnson signalled his interest.

Attending last night whilst still our manager was a piss take. Slimy get.

Still quite gutted though. Hope he gets relegated now.

What proof do you have that LJ orchestrated his move away? I've been fortunate to meet LJ and every word he said underpinned his desire to get the club promoted. It was all about the club and not him and that he wanted to repay the faith the club but more so the fans placed in him. He's loaded so a few extra quid in his pocket probably hasn't swayed him.

Unless the club state otherwise my gut feeling is that he's been influenced into moving. £200k towards the stand - similar emotional blackmail that was the background to why the club pulled out the Evans deal....a deal that they shouldn't have entered into anyway. And on that point, LJ was personally against the Evans deal I believe and Owen (according to local press) railroaded everyone into going ahead with the deal. Even this week Owen has slated the public for forcing the club into not signing Evans.