Rumours and Transfers 2014

A few snippets from the Mike Keegan Web Chat Questions...

Right - unanswered #oafc questions.

1) Rachubka only 50-50 because there are a lot of very good goalkeepers out there.

2.) (Striker) I know Ryan Lowe is being considered along with a host of other experienced forwards. #oafc

3) (Budget boosted by Tarky + Richards clause) Bad news but don't see it having much impact. Stand still needs to be paid for. #oafc

4) (Wes replacement) I know LJ has three players lined up for every position. Wes no different. He calls it 'spinning plates'. #oafc

Edited by Latics_Fanatic

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Makes sense for Wes to go back to Australia at this stage of his career. If he performs well over there then he won't be too far away from the Aussie national team. From our point of view it means losing a player that can make a big impact on us, but it gives us the opportunity to get someone in who can play in a more advanced midfield position in a 2 with Korey rather than a 3 with Korey and Philliskirk, hopefully freeing up a space in the XI for a 2nd striker.

More worrying is that The General is only now "expected to sign" - hasn't this been reported as done deal previously?

Would guess that all the players and most staff are away now* with any new agreed new contracts drawn up in a couple of weeks as they get ready to return.

* With the possible exception of Lockwood himself who strikes me as the kind of man who will prefer to spend his summer doing some welding in the new stand

Would guess that all the players and most staff are away now* with any new agreed new contracts drawn up in a couple of weeks as they get ready to return.

* With the possible exception of Lockwood himself who strikes me as the kind of man who will prefer to spend his summer doing some welding in the new stand

LOL. Excellent post.

Nice one

Made me chuckle that.

Though I see him as more of a scaffolder myself...

Makes sense for Wes to go back to Australia at this stage of his career. If he performs well over there then he won't be too far away from the Aussie national team. From our point of view it means losing a player that can make a big impact on us, but it gives us the opportunity to get someone in who can play in a more advanced midfield position in a 2 with Korey rather than a 3 with Korey and Philliskirk, hopefully freeing up a space in the XI for a 2nd striker.

Disagree, The Australian team set up is well versed on keeping check on players all over Europe and it is no great detriment to a players chances of playing for Australia. The bigger hurdle is if he played for a club that continually 'forced' him to cry off midweek international friendly games.

just for info this is the Aussie squad for the world cup

Goalkeepers: Mark Birighitti (Newcastle Jets), Eugene Galekovic (Adelaide United), Mitch Langerak (Borussia Dortmund), Mat Ryan (Club Brugge)

Defenders: Josh Brillante (Newcastle Jets), Jason Davison (Heracles Almelo), Ivan Franjic (Brisbane Roar), Curtis Good (Dundee United), Ryan McGowan (Shandong), Matthew Spiranovic (Western Sydney Wanderers), Alex Wilkinson (Jeonbuk), Luke Wilkshire (Dynamo Moscow), Bailey Wright (Preston North End)

Midfielders: Oliver Bozanic (Luzern), Mark Bresciano (Al Gharafa), Ben Halloran (Fortuna Dusseldorf), James Holland (Austria Vienna), Mile Jedinak (Crystal Palace), Massimo Luongo (Swindon Town), Matt McKay (Brisbane Roar), Mark Milligan (Melbourne Victory), Tommy Oar (Utrecht) , Tom Rogic (Melbourne Victory), Adam Sarota (Utrecht), Dario Vidosic (FC Sion)

Forwards: Tim Cahill (New York Red Bulls), Josh Kennedy (Nagoya Grampus), Mathew Leckie (FSV Frankfurt), Adam Taggart (Newcastle Jets), James Troisi (Melbourne Victory)

There are a lot more Australian based players in the squad compared to previous campaigns but that is a reflection of the increasing standard of the Australian A league.

As with any transfer negotiation, I think the club / LJ need to set a deadline for all 3 of them - Wes, Brown & Chubbs - otherwise they run the risk of it dragging on & on; and while it's up in the air, they can't fully move on other options.

Be pretty gutted to see Wes leave; but if he, via his agent, has a wage figure in mind that is wildly different to our package, then it's probably best to start to look elsewhere.

I'd personally be going all guns blazing to get Danny Hollands on board as replacement now it's dropped to a 30% chance of Wes re-signing.

Seeing as we are probably already looking at potential replacements I imagine the deadline exists in that when/if we find someone better he will be told he is surplus and the offer withdrawn. The contract negotiations work both ways in that regard and from LJ's calm demeanor I imagine he sees it the same way.

Disagree, The Australian team set up is well versed on keeping check on players all over Europe and it is no great detriment to a players chances of playing for Australia. The bigger hurdle is if he played for a club that continually 'forced' him to cry off midweek international friendly games.

just for info this is the Aussie squad for the world cup

Goalkeepers: Mark Birighitti (Newcastle Jets), Eugene Galekovic (Adelaide United), Mitch Langerak (Borussia Dortmund), Mat Ryan (Club Brugge)

Defenders: Josh Brillante (Newcastle Jets), Jason Davison (Heracles Almelo), Ivan Franjic (Brisbane Roar), Curtis Good (Dundee United), Ryan McGowan (Shandong), Matthew Spiranovic (Western Sydney Wanderers), Alex Wilkinson (Jeonbuk), Luke Wilkshire (Dynamo Moscow), Bailey Wright (Preston North End)

Midfielders: Oliver Bozanic (Luzern), Mark Bresciano (Al Gharafa), Ben Halloran (Fortuna Dusseldorf), James Holland (Austria Vienna), Mile Jedinak (Crystal Palace), Massimo Luongo (Swindon Town), Matt McKay (Brisbane Roar), Mark Milligan (Melbourne Victory), Tommy Oar (Utrecht) , Tom Rogic (Melbourne Victory), Adam Sarota (Utrecht), Dario Vidosic (FC Sion)

Forwards: Tim Cahill (New York Red Bulls), Josh Kennedy (Nagoya Grampus), Mathew Leckie (FSV Frankfurt), Adam Taggart (Newcastle Jets), James Troisi (Melbourne Victory)

There are a lot more Australian based players in the squad compared to previous campaigns but that is a reflection of the increasing standard of the Australian A league.

Ah fair do's. Shows up my severe lack of knowledge of Aussie football!

As an aside, is there another team in the World Cup that will have a squad who has such a diverse selection of domestic teams?? I count 4 continents and 14 different nations that their squad is made up of, that's before counting the different tier that some of those teams are from!