League 1 Activity

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kelly says he hadn't shown any interest in signing Pope and we weren't one of the clubs in for him. Hoping to have a couple more tied up before pre-season training starts.

Similarly, he says we weren't fussed on Sami Khedira an' all.

Times have changed since the Frizzell/Royle days, anyone can now take there badges and be a football 'coach'

That just doesn't stand up I'm afraid. In those days badges weren't necessary and therefore anyone could be a football coach/manager, whereas nowadays it requires a qualification. So the complete opposite of your statement is true.

That just doesn't stand up I'm afraid. In those days badges weren't necessary and therefore anyone could be a football coach/manager, whereas nowadays it requires a qualification. So the complete opposite of your statement is true.

No it isn't.

He said anyone can take their badges and become a coach - although a stretch, he's right, anyone can.

In Royle & Frizzell's day you needed to be an ex pro to get in, badges or no badges, so not just "anybody" could...

Does it matter?

If they are both average or injured then it's an awful long time to have them taking a big chunk of the wage bill. If it's really about a big push for promotion I'd rather take the chance on someone properly good for a year

No it isn't.

He said anyone can take their badges and become a coach - although a stretch, he's right, anyone can.

In Royle & Frizzell's day you needed to be an ex pro to get in, badges or no badges, so not just "anybody" could...

Anyone can do badges but there's no way that without a half decent history within football in some role or another you'd get a professional manager's job. At best the difference is negligible, but there are more legal/jurisdictional loopholes to jump through now.

If they are both average or injured then it's an awful long time to have them taking a big chunk of the wage bill.

Are you saying we should continue with a signings policy along the lines of "What if he gets injured, or isn't that good for us? Let's not take the chance, let's sign someone cheaper, just in case"?

Such lack of balls/conviction has got to be a big part of why we're still in League One (but, arguably, not in League Two either, to be fair).....

Experience v Rookie Argument

Dowie had money so players will come

Sheridan had his reputation and a bit of money

Johnson spoke well about increasing a players value, signed a few mates. players who wanted to come back to the area and lads who had been injured

Kelly so far does not fill me with any confidence, this premier league loan signings doesn't fill me with any confidence at all, we have had very little success. the fact he has openly said he wants to play wingers with 3 at the back but then says he wants to sign another right back, why waste your cash on Connor Brown when you have Brian Wilson with another year on his contract. We need at least 5 centre backs if he is going to play 3 at the back and right now we have 1 in James Wilson and I wouldn't hold my breath on him being here on 1st September.

You can't blame a new manager for going the Premier League kids route.

It's worked for successful clubs in this division. Swindon and MK have struck up deals with Prem clubs and had some cracking players - think Afobe, Bamford, Luongo, Thompson and more. It's a good formula if you can establish a strong connection and get their better crop.

Unfortunately for us, no manager has so far managed to set up a link with a Prem club that will provide us with half decent talent. Dickov tried with City but they largely gave us their trash. The best one we have had by a long stretch was Albert Rusnak, but Johnson froze him out of the side and stuck him in the reserves.

I can see this Bolton connection continuing, which hasn't been a bad thing so far, with Lennon and Kelly mates.

Kelly says he hope to land his ' prime targets in the next few weeks ' and they will be better than some of the names bought or targeted by other clubs

I will say 2 things....

1. I hope you are right Darren as you havent let any of us down or given anyone a reason to not believe you word other than you not being a 'name' manager ;)

2. Stop reading OWTBs message board which I get the impression you do everytime I read an interview, Be your own man and dont pander to Oldham fans who change their mind about players more often than their grundys. Leyt your signings speak for themselves

Question is would you rather be going into the new season, like Bury with who they have signed, or we have signed?

It's not the playhers they have sigfned, its the finainces and how they are operating. Would you be happier as we have done paying as we can relatively afford it or pay using Boundary Park as surety and paying 138% interest.

People have short memories, Chris Moore.

And when you are playing that sort of game, you know that they will ahve paid way over the odds for Pope and he is only moving sideways for the money.

I'd rather be in our position than Bury's every day of the week, with one exception. It is a huge risk appointing the rookie manager with no inernational experience. It only worked with Frizzell. Johnson achieved nowt and we were on a downward spiral before he left.

Intrigued to know what 'a centre-back and a centre-forward with a difference, if you like' means.

Should be quite interesting to see who he brings in this time if these are supposed to be our two big signings. Crofty was slightly underwhelming because having said he had scoured the world and had bog rolls full of targets, we ended up with a player in his third spell at the club.

Kelly so far does not fill me with any confidence....

....we've got to get behind him and trust in Corney's judgement.... and hope he turns out to be a belter.

However, his early forays into the media limelight indicates he's definitely not as slick as the last one we had.... and I symapthise with the 'confidence' comment.

I too am feeling a little like that at present. I hope that slight nagging doubt disappears soon .....and comprehensively.....!

Intrigued to know what 'a centre-back and a centre-forward with a difference, if you like' means.

Should be quite interesting to see who he brings in this time if these are supposed to be our two big signings. Crofty was slightly underwhelming because having said he had scoured the world and had bog rolls full of targets, we ended up with a player in his third spell at the club.

It's two clones of Ian Marshall.

Are you saying we should continue with a signings policy along the lines of "What if he gets injured, or isn't that good for us? Let's not take the chance, let's sign someone cheaper, just in case"?

Such lack of balls/conviction has got to be a big part of why we're still in League One (but, arguably, not in League Two either, to be fair).....

I just think they're very long contracts for players that age. No doubt that's what makes it affordable but I wouldn't fancy the chances of Clarke settling in and banging goals in for 3 years solid

I'll hazard a guess that you are younger than me so apologies is this sounds a bit arrogant (it's really not meant to) but i think you need a history lesson!

The two mist successful managers in the club's history (Frizzell & Royle) were both rookies.

Since we got into this division we have had two cracks at the play-offs under Dowie (rookie) and Sheridan (rookie).

The last two managers were both rookies. One delivered possibly our best cup result ever while the other looked for quite some time as if he could get us into the play-offs.

The last three non-rookie managers were Talbot, Moore and Penney - none of whom achieved very much at all. I have a feeling I may have left someone out but if I have then I'm safe in concluding that he didn't achieve anything either!

Unfortunately,there's always an exception to the rule - step forward Graeme Sharp.

Doncaster let a fan announce the news on twitter after his constant tweets to the club bemoaning the lack of signings...

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/row-zed/fan-moans-doncaster-rovers-lack-5859205

Jesus, imagine if we did that? There'd be an army of people being the first to reveal the signing on Michael Ingram on a six year deal

I'll hazard a guess that you are younger than me so apologies is this sounds a bit arrogant (it's really not meant to) but i think you need a history lesson!

The two mist successful managers in the club's history (Frizzell & Royle) were both rookies.

Since we got into this division we have had two cracks at the play-offs under Dowie (rookie) and Sheridan (rookie).

The last two managers were both rookies. One delivered possibly our best cup result ever while the other looked for quite some time as if he could get us into the play-offs.

The last three non-rookie managers were Talbot, Moore and Penney - none of whom achieved very much at all. I have a feeling I may have left someone out but if I have then I'm safe in concluding that he didn't achieve anything either!

Big dollop of irony on this plate. Somewhere between 'you need a history lesson' and 'our best ever cup result' Im thinking it will cover the whole plate.

Jesus, imagine if we did that? There'd be an army of people being the first to reveal the signing on Michael Ingram on a six year deal

It was all going really well and impressive, till this tweet..

Lee Miller @drfcmiller86

@drfc_official @ryanmurrant unexpectedly PD completely changed my opinion and I think he is definitely the man to take us forward #drfc

:rolleyes:

Archived