I really really really would like to see a copy of the Financial Fair Play Rules. If they are just a wages cap in relation to turnover as the 'gifting' of money for transfer fees suggests then there must be all sorts of loopholes for the owner with money to strengthen their squad!

We have seen players who sat back and took the money rather than trying their hardest but Forte was not one of those and it is in his own best interests to continue to perform unless he sees his career coming to an end.

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really really really would like to see a copy of the Financial Fair Play Rules. If they are just a wages cap in relation to turnover as the 'gifting' of money for transfer fees suggests then there must be all sorts of loopholes for the owner with money to strengthen their squad!

We have seen players who sat back and took the money rather than trying their hardest but Forte was not one of those and it is in his own best interests to continue to perform unless he sees his career coming to an end.

Of course there are loopholes...they could get a subsidiary company to sponsor the tea lady's uniform for £2,000,000 if they wanted!

FFP doesn't apply to our league. The SCMP does.

http://www.financialfairplay.co.uk/scmp.php

http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/sport/football/football-news/financial-fair-play-league-one-8560150

Of course there are loopholes. The purpose isn't to stop clubs spending money, it's to stop them spending unsustainably and getting into debts they can't repay. So a loan is out, as that would have to be paid back. But a direct donation is fine.

As I understand it, if a direct donation is used to pay the transfer fee of an expensive player, there's nothing wrong with that. But when next season comes round that player's ongoing wages will factor into SCMP wages vs turnover calculations. If the club is out of line as a result, then they'll get sanctioned.

Edited by Crusoe

Ofcourse their are loopholes how else are Bury signing all those players yet abiding by FFP?

Forte would have taken a move but that doesn't mean he doesn't want to play for us, and won't be fully committed to us when he pulls on the number 11 shirt. His fitness can be questioned his attitude shouldn't be.

Ofcourse their are loopholes how else are Bury signing all those players yet abiding by FFP?

Forte would have taken a move but that doesn't mean he doesn't want to play for us, and won't be fully committed to us when he pulls on the number 11 shirt. His fitness can be questioned his attitude shouldn't be.

You would hope so, but we cannot make that assertion.

I think he still ends up going there if they are getting desperate towards the end of the window.

Nah...I reckon they have only offered him a pay as you play so he'll stay put where he's paid regardless of playing or injured. That offer won't change!

Nah...I reckon they have only offered him a pay as you play so he'll stay put where he's paid regardless of playing or injured. That offer won't change!

You're probably right, they must have offered him a pretty poor deal for him not to move closer to home.

The clubs agreed a fee so Forte had no option but to go and see them. He then asks for a substantial pay rise which he thinks they can afford. doesn't get it so no skin off his nose he stays on a contract with us for another 12 moths which was probably the same as the length of contract offered by them.

Regarding FFP couldn't an owner also gift some of a players wages as well as a transfer fee?

The clubs agreed a fee so Forte had no option but to go and see them. He then asks for a substantial pay rise which he thinks they can afford. doesn't get it so no skin off his nose he stays on a contract with us for another 12 moths which was probably the same as the length of contract offered by them.

Regarding FFP couldn't an owner also gift some of a players wages as well as a transfer fee?

He could have rejected them without negotiation but he would have been daft to do that someone offers you a job you would be a fool to not find out what it was about. Like you say it's no skin off his nose.

I think a gift for wages would be outside FFP so I would say unlikely as wages are measured against turnover and a gift won't be included in turnover.

As I understood it gifts are included in turnover. If someone donates cash it counts. If it's a loan it doesn't. But remember that if you have a lot of players on high wages as a result of gifts you could be in trouble with SCMP calculations in future years, so it's not the loophole it seems.

As I understood it gifts are included in turnover. If someone donates cash it counts. If it's a loan it doesn't. But remember that if you have a lot of players on high wages as a result of gifts you could be in trouble with SCMP calculations in future years, so it's not the loophole it seems.

H

surely they would just make it two gifts - one each year - to cover a two year contract....

Yes, I'm pretty sure they could. The point of SCMP isn't to stop clubs spending, it's to stop them spending beyond their means, getting into unsustainable debt, and ending up bust. If some sugar daddy is willing to fund them no strings attached every year I think they'd get away with it. But if it's only one year, they'll be subject to the wage/turnover limit next season and have to think ahead.

Putting my bean counter hat on here if someone invests in a business whether it be a gift or a loan it can't be in included as turnover it's merely recorded as a capital asset for the company.

A way round it and I would imagine the way round this for most is if the money is recorded as sponsorship I.e. Owner sponsors ground for £X although I believe at Uefa level atleast this is scrutinised.

Putting my bean counter hat on here if someone invests in a business whether it be a gift or a loan it can't be in included as turnover it's merely recorded as a capital asset for the company.

A way round it and I would imagine the way round this for most is if the money is recorded as sponsorship I.e. Owner sponsors ground for £X although I believe at Uefa level atleast this is scrutinised.

Are you not applying normal tax/accountancy/business rules to the law unto itself that is football?

It is quite possibly he's happy here but thought that Barnsley were going to offer him a contract beyond the end of the season. In his current situation he would be daft to pass up on a longer term contract. If when he spoke to them it became apparent that they would only give him a year he may have turned round and said "I like it at Oldham I'll stay there if I'm gaining nothing by moving". This would fit in with not agreeing personal terms and would in no way suggest he's not happy here.

Or he might have just failed the medical

It is quite possibly he's happy here but thought that Barnsley were going to offer him a contract beyond the end of the season. In his current situation he would be daft to pass up on a longer term contract. If when he spoke to them it became apparent that they would only give him a year he may have turned round and said "I like it at Oldham I'll stay there if I'm gaining nothing by moving". This would fit in with not agreeing personal terms and would in no way suggest he's not happy here.

Or he might have just failed the medical

I think if he genuinely failed the medical they would have said so....there's no reason not to is there?