New Manager Thread [Mergomatic Active]

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Someone who's not been mentioned who might want to give it a go to get back into management Neil Lennon, worked with nothing at Bolton and wasent being paid for a while there, easy way back in for him and somewhere to rebuild his reputation

I suspect once bitten twice shy, or doubtul he'll be keen to get out of the frying pan into the fire. Given the scenario we are in hurt his reputation, he'd only be likely to harm it even more. He can afford to wait for a more comfortable appointment I think.

Yeah but then Corney will sell the entire team and let the manager go off to manage Morecambe for £50 etc.

wouldn't the cheapest option be shirtliff, can see corney going for him saying he knows the set up, and gives us a bigger playing budget.

Name mentioned this morning - odds appear

People back it because name mentioned - odds shorten

Pretty simple really.

That's quite a low opinion of punters' accuracy you've got there... ;-)

I know what you mean... But I hope you're not alluding to the idea that just a couple of bets dictate the odds - particularly in light of what happened with LJ and Shez etc, and folk dismissing it...

The odds will shorten if there is truth in it. Not because Barry, Simon and Neil each put £5 on it.

Edited by IceStationLatic

He would come for nothing and be on a basic salary.

Why would he?

Why would he leave a job that he seems safe in, seems successful in and seems happy in?

How do you know his financial situation & what he would want to take this job?

Unless you have just assumed that he will cost little as he is coaching at a youth level and would jump at the chance because he has played here previously?

Why would he?

Why would he leave a job that he seems safe in, seems successful in and seems happy in?

How do you know his financial situation & what he would want to take this job?

Unless you have just assumed that he will cost little as he is coaching at a youth level and would jump at the chance because he has played here previously?

He wants a shot at management, still it hasn't been decided yet but we have little options with out money

I don't have a suggestion for manager but the club should have upwards of £50 grand towards the new man's renumeration from compensation. This would be new money which could simply be used to support a better monthly contract for the new man and a addition to the playing budget Sheridan had been offered.

Heaven knows how Corney will use it but financially we are in a better position than last week and looking for a manager instead of a perceived threat of administration.

That's quite a low opinion of punters' accuracy you've got there... ;-)

I know what you mean... But I hope you're not alluding to the idea that just a couple of bets dictate the odds - particularly in light of what happened with LJ and Shez etc, and folk dismissing it...

The odds will shorten if there is truth in it. Not because Barry, Simon and Neil each put £5 on it.

Odds shorten when people bet on things. So he's been "backed in" to 6/4. And I'd guess that in a niche market like this then it won't take many bets to shift odds significantly.

I'd also guess that online betting markets are governed by software and algorithms rather than people in an office hitting their contacts and sources up for inside info on the next Oldham manager.

Odds shorten when people bet on things. So he's been "backed in" to 6/4. And I'd guess that in a niche market like this then it won't take many bets to shift odds significantly.

I'd also guess that online betting markets are governed by software and algorithms rather than people in an office hitting their contacts and sources up for inside info on the next Oldham manager.

Whatever it is, even with little Oldham, they keep getting it spot on - and often before, or just before, it's in the press. People talk I guess, and then people bet.

For those stating about easy movements of odds, on the very tenuous basis that Connor Brown has tweeted about Keith Curle visiting Manchester for a potential signing, that could mean he is on the move evena loan, and that would likely need the managers approval and the only person that could approve now would be a manager in employment. PLus I was the first to suggest Shirtliff, I have stuck a £5 on Peter Shirtliff at 5/1 with Skybet.

The odds are still 5/1 after my bet.

I hope Shirtliff does stay in some form.

Obviously Shez took all the glory...

But the dramatic improvement to our defence since Shirtliff joined the club, and how crucial that was to us staying up given the number of narrow wins, has perhaps not been given the credit it deserved...?!

Edited by IceStationLatic

I hope Shirtliff does stay in some form.

Obviously Shez took all the glory...

But the dramatic improvement to our defence since Shirtliff joined the club, and how crucial that was to us staying up given the number of narrow wins, has perhaps not been given the credit it deserved...?!

I would like to see him as the new manager - he knows the players, has played at a high level, already working for peanuts at Oldham - all the required qualifications that corney would like, especially the last bit.

TBH I think the fans would be prepared to give him a fair go too

Edited by Stagger Lee

I would like to see him as the new manager - he knows the players, has played at a high level, already working for peanuts at Oldham - all the required qualifications that corney would like, especially the last bit.TBH I think the fans would be prepared to give him a fair go too

I agree with most of this and compared to the last two times we promoted from within he'll be much more suitable than Holden and Dunn ever were. But him knowing the players being a strength is the bit I disagree with. We'll more than likely need someone who is able to recruit well rather than someone who can work with the current crop as there's only a handful of the current bunch left.

I would like to see him as the new manager - he knows the players, has played at a high level, already working for peanuts at Oldham - all the required qualifications that corney would like, especially the last bit.

TBH I think the fans would be prepared to give him a fair go too

Agree but doesn't make much difference when we only have 4 or 5 players.

Insight into Bunn's work at Udders:

http://www.examiner.co.uk/sport/football/news/oldham-athletic-might-want-huddersfield-11401835

That type of appointment requires time and patience. Can we guarantee that?

Everyone's claiming to be sick of chopping and changing with this being our 6th manager in less than 18 months, so, you'd like to think so...