Burton - League Cup

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hope shez buys Clough a pint or two tonight and gets us Matty Palmer on loan. Exactly the type of player we're missing.

Better performance than Saturday, still frustrating to watch at times. Fane was knackered second half. Should've give Fawns a chance earlier.

Class act from Ripley giving his gloves to a young lad after the whistle 

Much better than Saturday, still very frustrating at times, we are so poor in possession at times it's unbelievable, still too much hoof ball but not as much as Saturday, much more balanced in a straight 4-4-2 with Green actually playing central, Fane wasn't as good as Saturday, and Green had a better game than Saturday, he still wasn't great, Central Midfield is still a big ? from me, Green to be dropped for Gardner after his ban I think. 

That second goal for them typified our problem. Wayward pass from Green then Fane. They're our centre mids, who were bypassed again. Need it sorted with a new lad.

Hope Duffus is rusty cos he was dire. McLaughlin on the wing again caused problems when he got it and two of the three chances we had came from his run. Would've liked to see the Belgian lad on the other wing, as it's pretty clear Dummigan is no winger.

Burton are a decent side. Palmer and Akins really stand outs for them so probably not worth taking much from our performance being second best. Not sure their penalty was a penalty either, and bloody hell that Ripley's shite ain't he. Also got to say, our passing was truly dreadful at times, especially in that first 30 minutes.

1 hour ago, underdog said:

For those who went, would you say an improvements since last Saturday? 

Looks a badly balanced side, with no midfield dynamo, no goalpoacher and and no pace in central defence.

Can't fault the keeper though, he outshone Ripley.

We have played 4 footballing teams in a row now if you include the friendlies and lost them all, hopefully Walsall will be more our level.

Edited by BP1960

For me Fane is the defensive breaking up player which he is very good at. Tonight he was doing all the centre mid running for green who was non existent. If we can discipline fane and get a Palmer esc player along side / infront of him our midfield would be a lot better suited to the pace we have on our wings. Fane was caught out a number of times trying to drive us forward as green had nothing about him. Would have replaced him with fawns at Ht. 

mcloughlin for me was superb on the left their right back didn't know what day it was. Strange move when shez moved him over to the right and as soon as he did that the game for us died of any energy. Tope looks so much more comfortable on the right so don't know why he changed it. 

Defence needs a lot more work after tonight's showing but thought wilsons handling was superb. Just needs to come off his line abit more to reduce that pressure. 

Finally the ref woeful. One of the worst I have seen in a while. 

All in all not a bad game against a championship team. We are still developing so not expecting us to be fully firing till start of September. But massively need to kick on for that first win! 

Edited by adamoafc

3 minutes ago, adamoafc said:

For me Fane is the defensive breaking up player which he is very good at. Tonight he was doing all the centre mid running for green who was non existent. If we can discipline fane and get a Palmer esc player along side / infront of him our midfield would be a lot better suited to the pace we have on our wings. Fane was caught out a number of times trying to drive us forward as green had nothing about him. Would have replaced him with fawns at Ht. 

mcloughlin for me was superb on the left their right back didn't know what day it was. Strange move when shez moved him over to the right and as soon as he did that the game for us died of any energy. Tope looks so much more comfortable on the right so don't know why he changed it. 

Defence needs a lot more work after tonight's showing but thought wilsons handling was superb. Just needs to come off his line abit more to reduce that pressure. 

All in all not a bad game against a championship team. We are still developing so not expecting us to be fully firing till start of September. But massively need to kick on for that first win! 

Have to disagree on Green. Thought he had a good game. Him and Fane were up against 3 in midfield.

3 minutes ago, adamoafc said:

Agree with all of that except for the ref comment - thought he was generally very good. Most pleasingly he allowed AAH to use his strength which other refs for some reason blow fouls for every time.

I wasn't at the game on Saturday but I was entertained tonight.